Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Unexpected surprises.

Song of the day: “The animal song” by Savage Garden. I really love this song. I hadn’t heard it for years and the little brother suddenly put it on the house Itunes yesterday, and wham, I got it stuck in my head. I don’t mind. Hah.

As for today, it’s opera…or at least I think it is. Remember that song from “The Shawshank Redemption” where Tim Robbins locks himself up in the director’s office and puts this opera piece on the speakers throughout the prison? That one. Pretty song, but much like Morgan Freeman in the movie…I have not a clue what they’re singing about. Hah.

I’ve discovered that it is really hard to remember stuff from yesterday, so I hope that I can touch the highlights in a fashion that they’ll make sense.

First of all, (yesterday) we had a really good proofreading session, checking out alterations we put in during the last edit, crawling two chapters closer to the end. Yay. Excellent scenes, making us want to read on even after the allotted time came to an end and we had to head outside, to start planting the fourteen aralias we found and the four others-that I don’t remember the name of.

It took a few hours digging up to 18 holes in the ground, but they do look pretty grand within the courtyard garden, over the old pool and down by the old bus. I love green shrubs like that, especially since, according to the Internet, they can grow up to nine feet high and spread underground. Marvelous.

Who knows, at some point we might actually get the entire yard filled with green…it’s not that farfetched really. With two thirds of the property already greenery, we’re by far the greenest patch in the neighborhood. Hah.

After the gardening, I had fully intended to head inside to continue with the office, but since middle sister told me that her wardrobe closet is slowly falling apart, I decided to take her up to the old horse stable. There we went through the large supplies of wood we have been gathering for the past few months, and came up with a nice selection of what will soon be a really solid closet. Added to a dresser we’re going to scrape bare and the paint into the same color, she’ll be all set.

We’d just about finished gathering everything we needed, when little brother informs me that we forgot to return the DVDS yesterday, meaning that big brother and I headed for town to see to the task. Since there was another load of garbage to dispose of, we headed for the landfill as well and were absolutely stunned at what we found.

I mean, seriously; I was agog. Some store with artisan furniture and knickknacks must have gone bankrupt, or something, because the enclosed area was filled with (slightly damaged but still) beautiful small cabinets, artfully inlaid picture frames, CD racks, drawers, heck there were even a lot of those African Giraffe art pieces, cats and horses. And lamps, absolutely gorgeous lamps that I couldn’t have left behind if my life had depended on it. Whicker with leather tubes, some of reed and metal, beautiful. We took just about everything that we managed to fit in, and even tied three of those lamps to the top of the car.

Once everything is repaired…’cause somebody obviously had a field day wrecking it all while unloading…I think that everything combined would have set us back 1K. And someone just threw it away. I don’t get it. I mean, okay, you lost your shop (I think this is a shop I’ve actually shopped at, at times, but found to expensive to return to) why throw anything that gorgeous away? Seriously, put it for sale for 50 cents and you’ll save on the gas costs, for crying out loud.

Not that I’m complaining, mind you. Due to this I can pretty much redecorate the house, hah.
But anyway. We were pretty much stuffed to full capacity…I barely fit in there at all and by the time we got home I was feeling a tad claustrophobic and more than a little achy from having twisted into a rather extreme angle, Hah.

Once at home, we immediately unloaded the stuff, because early this morning the car had to go to the garage to have the windshield replaced, and then headed into the house for a very late dinner and then another quick reading session up at my cabin.

Which brings us to today:
Not much computer work today, considering big brother had to go to the dentist. While he was there I went to the hardware store to get another bucket of paint, (middle sister’s room needs to be redone, ‘cause the paint is peeling everywhere…saw as much yesterday when I took measurements for her closet…, a roll of fencing (due to all the wood we’ve been gathering these days we really want to put a fence around the last part of our property. There’s a problem with theft ‘round here) and another gas stove for the office. What with winter rapidly approaching, we’re going to need it in the office.

Once we got home, I made the cheesecakes for little sister’s B-day tomorrow. It only took an
Hour or so, but still it left me only half an hour to do some more reading on the manuscript. Then it was time to go outside again…it was another gorgeously sunny day, loved it…to start on middle sister’s closet.

While we were doing this, little brother and sister started on the repairs of the new finds, completing two wonderfully old-looking Chinese cabinets that are going to look gorgeous in the new office.

Mom, spend her time painting the two identical mirrors we found the other day, and by now they are ready to be hung in the hallway. Big brother and grandpa headed out to the horse stable, where the started digging the holes for the new fence poles.

By the time the evening drew to an end…I spent most of the afternoon diverting my attention between the younger sibs, helping them with the repairs, and working on the closet with middle sister…finished the basis of the closet and were more than ready to call it a day. Oh boy, there’s nothing more exhausting than doing three to four things at the same time. My brain feels as if my skull is cracked, letting air in, hah.

Little sister made red beets with rice and cheese, which fell really well on my empty stomach by the end of the evening. I was so friggin’ hungry, my stomach must have thought my throat was cut, haha…don’t remember where that quote comes from, but I always thought it was hilarious.

Well, that just about sums up the past couple of days, I guess. Time to finish up and get to my messages.

No comments: