Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Friday, March 12, 2010

Aaaargh day.

Song of the day: “A little time” by the Beautiful South. It might have something to do with the fact that it was the first song that went on on iTunes this morning, but still…had it before, will have it again, undoubtedly.

Grocery shopping day has arrived, much to my regret: the weather is downright beautiful and today would have been a splendid one to spend outside in the yard, working on turning more earth for seeding and planting, but no. The fridge is empty, the freezer is nearing that particular state and the cupboards are just collecting dust after two weeks and two days.
This means that aaargh day is here…again. Darn it!

But let’s not think of it yet, and talk about yesterday…which was decidedly boring, now that I think about it. The day had started out sunny, and reasonably doable temperature-wise so just as soon as the inside chores, such as laundry and some minor cleaning were done, it was time to head out into the yard.

For the next few hours I planted thyme, rosemary and garlic through the lower yard, placing an eclectic mix with the new planted trees to provide moisture holding cover by the roots, along with spicy aromas that should have some effect on parasites (or at least, that is the present theory, hah), along with chamomile seeds, by the way, just because…well, because I like chamomile. Hah.

By the time I was done, the wind had come in, along with clouds that fogged up the sky and brought the temperatures down to uncomfortable. A pity too, ‘cause we barely had time to sow some peppers and tomatoes before a soft drizzle started up.

While big brother and grandpa finished up sawing the wood for the bungalow fences, and attached them while the younger sibs and I worked on getting the grocery shopping list completed. Ten shops on the lists until now, aaaaargh.

Okay, ignoring it again.
After that list, I settled down to deal with my messages online and then get to the daily read-through edit. Managed 14 pages, yay, so we’ve crossed the 1/3 stage. On to half. Hah.

Chaos’ stitches went out the other day, and his face looks great. Hardly any scarring, and what little there is, makes him look like a pirate, hah. Went through the procedure like the darling that he is: on his back, paws in the air and his eyes blissfully closed as he purred like a kitten for all the attention. Hah. Eejit.

Our tenant is doing well. Those trips up the stairs (whenever she came for a visit, going home involved mounting stairs) made walking a lot easier for her. Proud as ever, she is. Why even yesterday we went for a nice little stroll on the old horse paddock. She walked all the way to the sand bags (approx. 30 yards) and back, chattering pleasantly and barely even winded when we got back. We were both pleasantly surprised.

So that brings us to today. It’s only noon now, so there is very little to tell, really. I woke up sometime during the night, there was this hard rumble, really loud, which I thought to be an earthquake (it does happen every once in a while) and then woke several other times without good reason. I didn’t mind though, waking up to the sun shining straight in my face when it was time to rise. It was downright beautiful and I hurried through the morning rituals to go down into the yard. Yesterday we’d put some seeds to soak in water, and I needed to put them in the pots I’d already filled with dirt.

This means that now we have melons on the way too…and not just any melons, nope. My favorite. Hah. Since I was down anyway, and since grandpa was still out (meaning that there was no fresh bread for breakfast yet) I took the opportunity to go through the yard and see how everything weathered the night’s storm.

Shallots are shooting up, the tomatoes are starting to bloom and the first buds of the fruit trees are opening up to the early morning sunshine. It was downright gorgeous.

No comments: