Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Still raining, darn it.

Song of the day: “It wasn’t me” by Shaggy and…well, I actually don’t know his name, hmmm. Should I look it up? Nah, never mind. Funny song, though.

Well, I wish I could say that we had some grand days, but other than the last time I wrote, when the weather was downright splendid, today and yesterday it was raining buckets, darn it.
Seriously, for some reason the last couple of days give everything a somewhat nightmarish quality, like there are disjointed fragments that do not fit together at all, and yet seamlessly flow together in such a chaotic fashion that you just don’t know which end is up anymore.

Ah well, let’s get to it, shall we, otherwise I’ll just start maudlin or something, which would just annoy the…ehm, something out of all of us.

So where did I quit the other day? Oh yes, beautiful weather and I wanted to be outside…well, I did just that, naturally. It was rather splendid after all, and seeing as the sun was so wonderfully warm we took the opportunity to head down into the yard and turn a patch of earth at the bottom. Rather than putting in plants and such, we sowed seeds and potatoes. Red beets, cauliflower and a couple of broccoli, on a nice patch of six by twelve feet of rich dark earth. I wonder how they’re going to do…only one way to find out, I guess.

Considering there really wasn’t time for lunch, big brother and I both slapped some toppings on French bread and headed on up to the next task of the day. The younger sibs and I resumed grandpa’s wall, of course, while big brother started on the imperial he intends to make for the car.

There was dirt to be shoveled up and away, rock drill through and lots of other nasty little chores that we managed to get done in a couple of hours before we started hauling in rocks for the foundation part that runs to the bungalow. Did two rather big rocks, and I gotta admit that I almost couldn’t hold them. I’m guess somewhere between 150 and 180 pounds, but it was definitely my present limit. Seriously, I think I heard my spine scream a steady nonononononono! at some point, and did kindly ask little brother to pick up my spinal disks if he came across them while we were hauling. Hah.

Though the entire bod was complaining by the end of the evening, we did have the satisfaction of finishing laying out the remainder of the foundation in one afternoon, preparing the whole for pouring concrete (just as soon as the weather lets up again).

While we were waiting for big brother to finish messing about with metal and bolts, the sibs and I headed out to the small paddock outside the gate and played about half an hour of catch, which was grand fun, all things considered. I do think that we tend to be a tad noisy, playing around like that, seeing as we really get into the game and are shouting at the top of our lungs, mimicking a noisy audience whenever one of us has the rare bit of luck of actually catching something, hah.

But enough of that, yesterday’s up: Rain. There was an infinite amount of it and it seriously depressed me, if for no other reason than it keeping me housebound most of the day. Jeez, I wanted to go up the walls, I swear…anyway…the day consisted of working on the book (got five pages added to the whole, so it didn’t go all that well) doing some messages, bringing our tenant to the house for a visit, and keeping busy with house chores and such…which was the main theme for today too, I guess.

Chaos was feeling a tad under the weather last night. He’s got some swelling going on his face, and this morning, he somehow managed to get rid of the drain that should have gone out tonight instead. Ah well, let’s just hope that it is not too soon, or else he’ll just have to scramble and get better the old fashioned way. Poor Chaos, though, he wanted to and did lie between us this night, literally forcing me to bend in the weirdest ways possible, just to be able to stay in bed. Gawd, my back was killing me this morning, I tell ya. Five in a bed is a tad much, I’ll admit. Hah.

Did manage to do a spot of cooking, both today and yesterday. Did a couple of oven dishes yesterday. Piecrusts; one filled with Mediterranean vegetables and herbs, and the other carrot, green herbs and cheese on both. Sort of like quiche, but then the easy version, hah.

Today I went for simple…seeing as that is the ruling favorite, hah…as in spaghetti baked with peppers, onions and cheese. Yep, I can honestly say that we are cheese people. We can do without practically anything, when push comes to shove, but cheese will definitely be the last thing to go.

And since we’re already halfway through today, I figure I might as well end with it…it’s raining still, seriously gloomy clouds overhead, wet soil making the dogs drag mud inside and pants that are soaked clear through up past our knees.
There was about an hour of dryness this morning, and I used it to unload a cubic meter of sand from the back of the car, which had been in there for a solid three days now. Wonderful exercise, which lasted way too short for as far as I’m concerned.

Afterwards I wheeled our tenant down to the house…considering she rather enjoys the company, we figured we might as well make the effort when we can and she wants to. No sense in having her sit alone in her apartment if it can be helped.

Did some cleaning this morning, such as clearing out the oven, grill and microwave; all three a terrible mess, I tell ya and right after I’m done with this blog I’ve got to start on Touri. I’ve popped him a couple of sedatives thirty minutes ago, seeing as that is the only way in hell that hell let me shave the mess that he’s made of his ears, and see if I can get him clean. I’ll let you know how that works out…if I remember that is. Hah.

Well, gotta go. Lots more to do, and the day is steadily drifting past. Let’s just hope that I manage to get a few more pages for the book done before the day is through.

No comments: