Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Two work days over and done with.

Song of the day: “Staying alive” by the Beegees. I know. Don’t ask me why, it was just there, okay. Has anyone noticed how the song just makes you want to move? Hah.

So, I’m here, as promised. Back from a long day on the road, delivering the papers talking with folks after spending a full day at the cocktail lounge & restaurant in town. Now, I don’t want to spoil anything so I’m going to keep this very basic, but I had a nice time at the place. The people were friendly, boss of the day patient and the day long. But I got some interesting stuff, I think. Now all I need to do is find a nice way to write about it.

I’m thinking casual-like. A little like my blog but then more goal oriented, rather than just flapping my mouth…or in this case my fingers. I do tend to get off track a lot writing here, and if I wanna have a serious shot at a newspaper, I’m going to have to make the piece up to par with something that could be published. I do know that the other columnist also writes in a rather casual fashion so it shouldn’t be a problem.

I want to talk a bit about the business itself, the staff working there, the boss lady and then just the customers and the way spending a day there felt, so to speak. A bit tongue in cheek to keep it interesting, maybe.

But anyways, though I had planned to stay a full day, the time of year really wasn’t all that suited, seeing as it is the slowest month, but still, I got to stick around from noon ‘till seven in the evening and it did give me a general idea of how things go. I’ve got to remember thanking the boss lady for letting me hang around for a day.

After getting home around nine in the evening, big brother and I headed out for a quick scavenge after all, we managed a six page edit of the present project before I really was fully ready to head to bed and pass out.

Slept a wonderful full night (in two pieces) of eight and a half friggin’ hours and woke after nine in the morning whether I would be able to get away with another hour when big brother phoned me to say that he’d overslept too. Yep, my alarm isn’t working once again, so we had agreed that he would call me awake for a change. I didn’t mind the extra hour of sleep mind you, but it did put a bit of a rush on the rest of the day.

I visited with tenant for a bit, hung laundry, emptied the car from our scavenge, and then grandpa finished that up so big brother could head for the house and have a late breakfast while making the lunch we had to take along. Grill cheese and onion rolls took our fancy today, along with a French bread with potato salad. Gawd, I was friggin hungry…not to mention nauseous…but I’m getting ahead of myself. More about that later.

But anyway. I’d just about changed into outside work clothes when John Doe (main distributor, remember?) phoned to tell me he’d be there within the hour. So we headed out and arrived five minutes late in the end. Considering he was at Burger King “fueling up” when we parked beside his van, big brother headed for the hardware store while I went over to say hello.

Now, I have a serious dislike for interrupting folks when they’re talking, so I waited patiently while he made his order and talked with a guy (probably another distributor). It took him about 2 minutes to notice me, which amused me a bit. I don’t know why, but I had this awesome scene in my head for a horror story. I mean really, throw in a psychopathic stalker who can follow someone inside somewhere and you’ve got some serious horror going. Hah.

But anyway, John gave me the keys and I headed back for the van and Land Rover to load up. I’d already loaded up a hundred and five bundles when big brother returned, and together we finished up, leaving the first twenty bundles at the first location while we waited for John and his “new friend” to join us.

There was some chatting, followed by the week’s payment and off we were. We did the route on time today, I mean seriously, we started at three, did some groceries somewhere and then started for real. Hah.

Within the first hour I rounded a truck, dodged a couple of guys with a frisky dog and slammed my head in the side mirror. Strangely enough it didn’t hurt all that much, but I did feel funny afterwards. A little spaced out maybe, and within fifteen minutes I slammed the side of my head into the post of the car door. That’s when the nausea set in. This was followed, half an hour later, by ramming the top of my head against the top of the doorway, when I miscalculated the distance
Getting in, at which time I got myself a genuine headache.

Was getting a little worried by then about the spaced-out bit, so we had something to eat and slowly I started to feel a bit better. Soon my “screaming” foot took away any concerns I might have had about my head. Seriously, once my foot started messing around for real, I didn’t even feel it anymore. Hah.

I had some chats again with most of the regulars. I’ve decided against doing a day at the Fish and Chips place, seeing as that is really in the same sector. I’m thinking something totally different for the contrast. Bouncer? Taxi/limousine driver? There should be something out there that is fun to do and fun to write about…I hope.

Well, we also managed the village tonight, and got home before midnight, so tomorrow is a stay-at-home day, yay. I’m either going to work on the piece, or heading out into the yard, I haven’t decided yet. Maybe I’ll even go all out and do both. Hah.

I’m going to catch up on the ‘zon discussions now and then head for bed. I’ve just about had enough of this day. Besides my poor doggies really need some attention by now. Poor darlings have, for all intents and purposes, been without me for two days, so they take precedence. Going now.

Have a--zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Hah.

No comments: