Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Friday, February 25, 2011

Dream a little dream

Song of the day: “Rain” by Madonna. Boy, that has been a long time since I had anything of hers in my head. A good one, though.

Gotta go different again, though, seeing as I had another good dream that I have to write down and do something with, rather than let it disappear inside my head, the way some really good ones did in the past.

First off, though. Touri’s test result came in and even though it is a form of cancer, it is not the malignant kind that will metastasise into his vital organs in the immediate future. On the other hand, this is the nasty kind that you can hardly ever get away without removing something drastic, like the limb, so I’m going to have to see if some home remedies are going to be of any use. For the good part, Touri is extremely cheerful and is having more than enough fun dogging me around the property…pun intended, of course.

Second bit: We had to take apart the Daewoo this morning. Turns out that Sally (who’s been loaning the car to go to the doctor’s every other day) couldn’t get the car up the incline. So I while I drove her to the village with the Land Rover (killed and hour or so writing down my dream) big brother and grandpa put the car on elevation and started looking for the problem.
We figured it out ‘round the time I got home. Turns out Sally accidentally fuelled up on Diesel, which is…well not so good for a normal engine. *sigh*

Luckily we could drain the tank and put in a new batch, after which…the stupid Daewoo still didn’t function properly. It kept shutting down the moment we stopped using the gas. I opened the hood and yep, right there, hidden under the carburetor, a plug had come undone. Afterwards the car ran as usual, so…*phew* much relief on our part. Had we taken this vehicle to the shop, it would have cost us another mint, I’m sure.

Okay, on to more interesting stuff that gardening and whatnot. The Dream:

The moon shimmers in the last vestiges of night. Mist swirls on the deserted mountain peak as I stand there in the brisk breeze, tumbling from the north and tearing at my clothes. A thin cotton nightgown covers me from neck to feet. One of those hideous contraptions of Gothic romances, no doubt. There are frills and ruffles flaying around my ankles. And about my shoulders, an abundant tumble of dark curls dance madly in the wind.
It is one of those dreams where I know it’s a dream. Too little realism in my appearances, if you get my meaning.
But anyway…I stand there, looking over the placid lake that stretches out and shines like a mirror in the pale moonlight.
At my bare feet, dew covered grass teases my soles with jarring coldness. I am waiting, like I have waited forever (or so it seems) for someone, or something. It is like a fist of tension inside my chest, tightening with every passing, drawn-out second.
In the distance, I hear a wolf cry, and my senses are extremely keen on the lonesome quality of it.
Footsteps, I can suddenly hear them behind me, and spin on my heel with a sense of reckless anticipation.
“Kale?” His name is part supplication, part relief in my voice as slowly he materializes from the brushes at the bottom of the rocky slope.
There is a savagery in his eyes that I know well. An intensity that both frightens and excites me.
In the light of the moon his face is a detailed composition of harsh lines, angular and fierce like the brutally wild lands around me.
Everywhere the eye can see, jagged peaks, roughly cut pines and steep inclines rail down towards the crystalline lake.
I know this place. I’ve seen it many times before. And yet every time there is something different. Something elusive yet sinister in nature. Something other than the dark night.
As Kale approaches, his gait confident and predatory, I sense someone (or something) watching us. Someone dangerous. Someone infinitely more dangerous than the man striding towards me.
His hair is a wild tumble of black, reaching down his shoulders (in a very romance novel way, hah) and flaying in the wind much like my own.
He is dressed only in ragged trouser and a threadbare coat that appears made of a rough linen that must once have been white in color.
Like me, he wears no shoes but strides across pebbles and rocks without care.
“You shouldn’t be here,” he says, stopping only a few inches in front of me, and reaching up to tenderly stroke my cheek. The warmth of his skin is a shocking contrast against the cold wind, and I close my eyes for but a moment to fully enjoy it. “’Tis far too dangerous,” he ads, leaning closer, fully intending to kiss me, I’m sure, when suddenly, from the brushes from which he’d come a loud roar echoes. It chills me to the bone and I clutch at Kale’s shirt when he spins and pushes me behind him.
“Stay there,” he warns, the alarm a tangible tension humming through his powerful body as we both gaze at the bushes. They rustle warningly and then, from the depths of the shadows, a gigantic beast springs forth, snarling and growling, exposing massive teeth that glint dangerously in the light of the moon.
Kale pushes me further back, and murmurs something in a language that I do not know.
The creature, some hyena/hound/wolf/bear mix, pays no heed, but begins to circle its way closer towards us.
Beneath my hands I sense more than mere muscle movement from Kale. His hair shortens, his shoulders widen, and his spine begins to bend. Even as I watch, he rips off his clothes, thick black hair appearing all over the exposed skin, and his poise changing until he is on all fours.
Where the approaching creature (a werewolf, I faintly realize) is hideous with stubby hairs and mud caked sides, Kale is quite beautiful. Like a mighty wolf from fairytales of old, his massive claws rut in the grass at our feet. His eyes, fierce and green by the light of the moon, are only for the creature that is now only a few feet away from us.
Kale (fully wolf now) throws back his head and lets loose a mighty howl. Then he pushes away from me, and pounces on his opponent. Their two bodies collide mid air, bones grinding together as they battle each other like two hounds straight out of hell.
Teeth flashing, claws ripping, they are equally matched, and just when I contemplate aiding Kale in some way…I wake up with Dax on top of me.

Seriously, I could have wrung his neck for disrupting the dream before things got to be really interesting. *sigh* I hate it when that happens, but it was time to rise, so there really wasn’t much of a choice.

Today we had a wonderful lunch of cauliflower, green herbs, potatoes and cheese. Definitely one of my favorites these days.

There was a day in town. My phone broke down, so I had to bring it back to the store for repairs…meaning I had to get another so I would be reachable at least. Luckily, I had enough points in my contract to get a simple free one. Afterwards we had to get in line to gas up, followed by a seemingly endless search at the hardware store for tubing. I hate looking for tubing; it takes ages to look for all the connections and such. At some point, I left big brother to that and went to search for isolation material for the oven. Heck even trying to talk with the staff with stinted Spanish on my part and bad English on their, was better than going through all the boxes. Hah.

Afterwards I went to the sports store and got decently priced running shoes suited for running in the wild and with extra padding in the heel. The last time we went for a run, my heel was killing me for two days afterwards. *sigh*

Planted leek, uncovered plants for the warm day and then covered young plants again for the cold night. I know, very exciting, huh? But I liked it. In particular the working in the yard. It calmed me down a bit.

We went for my first cross-country run today and it went rather splendidly, if I do say so myself.
I only lost track of big brother twice, and on the overall, I got my breath back really fast. I went fast, even going uphill, and in the dry riverbed, it went even better, so, yay! Knight II is starting to enjoy it too, now, by the way. He keeps track at a trot, and barely leaves my side all the way. Seriously, there are times when I just grab hold of his collar so he can drag me up the last foot or two. Hah. But I’m glad he’s starting to like the whole walking in the wild thing. There might be a day some time in the future where he’ll actually have fun and doesn’t try to rush back into the car the moment the door opens. Hah.

Okay, gotta go. More edits to do, and all that.

No comments: