Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Saturday, December 10, 2011

"...in the woodshed"

Song of the day: “Big Spender” by Shirley Bassey. That’s a first, I think. Haven’t had this one before.

Well, be that as it may, let’s start with yesterday, and then do the usual by working our way to now…or should I just turn it around and mess with your head. I could, you know, but then, I don’t wanna be mean or anything…maybe I do…nah. I’ll try to remember accurately.

First of all, I was properly exhausted from all the dirt hauling in the wheelbarrows Thursday. In all seriousness I woke sore enough to have to do quite a few stretches before I could roll out of bed and limp my way to the bathroom. Gawd! Stupid effing foot! It just didn’t want to support me at first, but then strength returned at last and I could start moving again.
It didn’t look like wheelbarrowing (I know, not a real word, but it sounds nice. Hah) yesterday’s amounts was going to be possible, but there was only one way to find out, eh?

Anyway, first there were the usual chores such as the ever lasting laundry and tackling spider webs throughout the house. Since the whole cream-cheese making debacle was long enough ago, I took a bag out of the freezer for defrosting, along with the two patties I put there to see how they taste after they were frozen. Fine apparently, because we ate them for a snack later in the day, along with the rice burgers I made from leftovers. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

During the course of the day I managed to haul on 10 wheelbarrows. Not bad, all in all, considering the way my body was complaining. I could even have continued on if it hadn’t been for Chaos, who thought it smart to walk in front of my wheelbarrow, making me swerve out of the way, only to end up driving the cart nose first into the dirt while my legs thought it was okay to carry one. My knee figured out that it wasn’t, and I’ve got a big ol’ bruise on it to prove it. Stupid Basset. Moseying along as if I wasn’t hauling 250 pounds of dirt, for crying out loud.
Had to ice the silly joint.

So, what with my wheelbarrowing forays over, I joined big brother (wielding the jackhammer) by filling the wheelbarrows for Ox to haul down the mountain in my stead. Filled about six…or was it eight of them, getting some excellent abs workout for free. Nothing’s quite like using work to get your daily dose of exercise. Hah.

Had to stop around four to head for the construction company. We need to put sewage tubes underneath the future terrace, so we had to go fetch those. Since we were out already, we took Tridatu to the vet so she could check out his mouth. (Took Knight II along for company.) We’ve been noticing swellings and a really, really bad smell, and as we suspected she’s going to have to remove several of his molars. Poor Tridatu.

Since he also had a swelling on his chest, we were there for a while due to the x-ray the vet preferred to take. This meant that Knight II and I sat in the waiting room, where he proceeded to make a laughing stock of himself because he kept sitting down on my lap.
Seriously, the vet’s assistant kept getting laughing fits, and a bunch of kids who’d come in with their tiny Pincher mix, kept chuckling because it was just silly to see a pony-sized dog cower the way he did.

But anyway, he behaved fine otherwise, meaning that he helped pass the time. In the end Tridatu was cleared for surgery, and we headed home with antibiotics and an appointment for Monday morning where she’ll remove the offending teeth.

There was of course the edit, followed by a rather late bed-time that had me out of sorts this morning…the fact that I felt like I cracked my ribs didn’t help much either. Hah. Luckily that passed during the course of the day while muscles warmed up and movement took away sorceresses that keeps insisting. Whoever says that a workout is a good substitute for hard work, doesn’t know what the heck he’s talking about, I tell ya. No amount of weightlifting, Stairmasters and gawd knows what else, will substitute hauling rocks and dirt. It will literally use ALL your muscles.

Ah, gotta love a good workout, eh?

So, no wheelbarrow for me today, not that it matters, considering there was enough other stuff to do. First off, we laid the new tubing in place, followed by me getting the necessary supplies for the cupboard I’m making for my bathroom. I am not at all happy with my present wash basin, so a new one is becoming quite necessary. I managed to cut out the top today, and get the majority of the woodwork sawed.

By then I put it all away and went down the mountain to help grandpa making a woodshed for the firewood…which kept reminding me of the movie “Cold Comfort Farm” with Kate Beckinsale. “I saw something nasty in the woodshed” it is a phrase that is often repeated throughout it, and it kept going through my mind. I ended up telling grandpa about the story a bit, making him chuckle.

We finished the new woodshed around six in the afternoon (had supper of macaroni with satay sauce that big brother made in-between) and then headed on up to prepare for today’s blog and the edit. Which brings me to now with the blog done and ready to start some real work. Better do it fast too, because I’m already way tired. Hah.

No comments: