Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Saturday, January 21, 2012

I had a dream...

Song of the day: “Where have all the cowboys gone” by Paula Cole. Was reminded of it the other day, and just had to look it up before I iTuned it. Hah.

So…I had a dream…no, no, no, not that one. I had a dream about a small item, which I just had to see if I could make it today. Let me explain first, because otherwise this item won’t make any sense to you (no, I don’t have pictures, my phone is at the repair shop and the temporary replacement I have really won’t do it any justice). You see, Grandpa hates wrist watches. He says that he’ll snag them on things, forget them, lose them, and that he just doesn’t like them. So we bought him a pocket watch a couple of years ago, which had him ecstatic…for a while at least. Then the stupid thing gave the spirit and he tried to have it fixed forever and ever, until the clock guy finally said that it wasn’t worth repairing. It really disappointed him, but he didn’t want us to buy him a new one.

We didn’t, instead I took an old watch (found it in a drawer somewhere) without a wrist band, took a piece of woods from storage and started working. I worked in two sessions of several hours, and these two shell shaped wooden disks, made two matching holes on either side, a ridge around one, an indentation in the other, and then tore through my room searching for an old Seiko box. Found it, and yes, memory served me right, it had two tiny hinges in it. Cut one out, drilled holes in it, looked for tiny screws and used a wee chisel to create a small indent for the mechanism (one of those that stays open, or shut, whichever position you decide on) and put it together. More sanding, engraving his initial on the lid (secretly of course, grandpa wasn’t supposed to know) and then mixing a bit of color into a clear varnish so I could treat the wood.

It is drying at the moment, but if all went well, I should be able to give it to him tomorrow. Yay. Hope he likes it, and I’ll let you know in the next blog.

Okay, back to business as usual. Let’s get up to date on the daily toils. Yesterday:
Well, there was no workout, which was a good thing since later in the day I got plenty of that after all. Hah. Did the morning chores, as usual, walked the boarder dogs, had breakfast and then headed down into the yard to add a few more of the reed fences. Only two or three more to go, thankfully. Also watered the young seedlings, the raised seedbed and then, after chatting with tenant a little, it was up to the wall and the terraced on top of it. For the remainder of the day I added layers of rock along the length of the wall.

Got several feet up to the ultimate height at last. Beautiful, in case you’re wondering, and with some seriously big rocks in it that will make for an interesting view that’s a fact. Hah. But it’s looking good. I think we’ll need to do another masonry day soon, but by then it will be high enough for us to start digging behind my cabin again so we can fill it up straight to the house.

While I was putting in rocks, I got a phone call of the computer doctor to let me know that we could come and pick up big brother’s Mac, at last. They had reinstalled everything and since big brother has been waiting with bated breath, we unloaded the car of the latest rock load, changed into something semi-clean and headed for town.

Well, I am happy to report that the Mac is once again fully functional, yay, and that big brother was gone most of the day while he was working on getting everything just-so in his electronic sweetheart. (He’s insufferable when he needs to spend a full day inside trying to sort the dratted computer out, mind you.) Hah. But no matter, he busted his knee yesterday (almost had to catch him at the grocery store because his knee refused to support him for crying out loud) so the inside-day, sitting with his computer, reading and installing, was actually good for his knee at least.

But I’m getting ahead of myself. We picked up the computer, did a few groceries that should tide us over until next week at least, (grocery shopping day is nigh, darn it) and went past a variety of stores in search of a spray can with a color that matches the Opel. Turns out that the store that probably would have it was already closed for the day, so we headed back home where big brother spent the majority of the evening messing with his computer.

I, on the other hand, was a good girl and dutifully worked on the book. Worked for several hours on writing the last piece of the prologue; a gloomy pursuit scene. Two people fleeing for a third and then…well, I can’t betray the story, of course, but it was awesome. The scene flowed and I was done and about five minutes later swore viciously. I’d done it wrong. Seriously, I hate it when that happens. During previous conversations we had already decided on a certain sequence in the scene. Regretfully inspiration didn’t agree, and made me forget the plan. Now I’ll have to do an effing rewrite again.
Ah well, no matter. Time is on my side still.

Okay, good news. My interview with C.S. Marks was returned last night with all questions answered, nice and proper. I, of course, got to read them already, and had a blast, so y’all are in for a treat. Either the next blog, or the one thereafter will be a nice change of pace and let you read about another crazy author. Hah. I’ll keep you informed, but I’m sure you’ll figure it out when I post it.

Today, besides working on grandpa’s “new” pocket watch, cousin Ed, grandpa and I worked up by the storage, sorting through stuff. There were several piles, one garbage, one with keepers, and one with doubters. Also found a big pile of roof tiles, which we sorted through and stacked on a pallet out of the way.
Still a long way to go, but we’re getting there. We’ll get the mess neat yet. It sure would be nice if we no longer look like land fill up there. Hah.

Am a bit tired, and I really should work on that prologue still, so I’m going to call this a blog and see ya ‘round the next time, I’m sure. *snort*

No comments: