Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

A little bit of fleeing never hurt anyone

Song of the day...seriously, you don’t want to know. It is such crap, and I have been trying to get it out all effing day, without effect. Aaaargh.

So yesterday I wasn’t I the best of moods (as you can undoubtedly imagine) so I decided to cowboy up and did a workout with doubled up reps. It did part of the trick at least, seeing as it got me pumped up enough to get started on the day.

First off we walked the boarders in the lower yard. They kinda liked that, running up and down, jumping against us and everything. I don’t get what the complaint of their previous boarding house. Apparently the big one was unmanageable, but he’s a sweetie and listens fine. They’ll come out when we say, go back in too, so for as far as boarders go, these are perfect.

Since grandpa was supposed to pick up his driver’s license at long last, cousin Ed offered to do it in our stead and set out early in the morning. Considering caregiver was out, big brother and I separated our time between yard stuff and tenant. She wanted to spent the morning in her room but opted to come down to my terrace later on.

That agreed on, big brother and I went into the yard and used the chainsaw on the tree that was split in half during the last storm. Poor Eucalypti. There it was, growing fast and limber, only to have a two day windstorm blow it to smithereens. Don’t get me wrong, with this particular tree it doesn’t really matter since breaking only makes them grow faster, but at the moment it is looking quite mutilated.

Grandpa spent the past few days turning earth, and since one of the patches is on a rather steep incline, and he tried to level it a little, we used the new cut tree to create a small wall of sorts. Was interesting hauling two massive tree trunks through narrow paths and gates, but since the sun was coming through every now and then, being in the yard on itself was a wonderful thing.

It was so grand in fact that we spent an extra hour or two later on, sowing red beets and leek in the freshly turned earth. Considering we were out there anyway, I harvested the first real cauliflowers, some broccoli and a whole batch of borecole for supper. Being down there already we also watered a lot of the fields (using the basin of course) allowing for plenty of growing despite of what is being called a persistent drought this time of year.

Because big brother was unable to fix middle sister’s sewing machine for the third time, mom and little brother had to go out in the afternoon to go to the repairman in town. They had to take the Land Rover, seeing as we had ordered the left warning light that wouldn’t be there until after they left. First there was some gluing to do, though, since apparently two attachment points of the light also got damaged during the skid-crash the other day. No problem, though, big brother managed to fix that just fine.

Walked tenant down later in the afternoon where she enjoyed sitting in the sun and reading a new book. Funny how she sometimes tells that she used to want to read a lot, but never found the time. And now, after her stroke, she at least is able to do that.
And boy, is she doing that a lot. Hah.
There were boring chores, a sand hauling trip later in the day, a short walk with Knight II, and then back home to work on the edit, after we took the opportunity to shave Gaucho (black Afghan), who was starting to look like a reggae monkey with all his dirty dreadlocks hanging down his paws, thighs and neck. Poor creature looked so bedraggled and smelled so bad, that it was almost unpleasant to pet him.
Afterwards he looked much better…and felt it too, if his arrogant pose in front of the fence was anything to go by. Proud big bugger.

The edit didn’t go all that bad, but also not as long as it could have been considering I was absolutely exhausted and was more than happy to call it an early night. Sure did that. Heck, I was actually in bed before one in the morning. Yay.

Oh, right. Am still ready Jack Vance, only now I’m going through Tchai/Adventure planet (the omnibus). Again, a fun adventure, but compared to Nightlamp and The Demon Princes, I don’t like the main character as much. Nothing wrong with him, just a little less…I don’t know…innocence in him, I guess, which is a pity.

Today…hmmm. Another good workout (despite me being unable to find my shwung) Lots of this and that’s, but on the most part there was yard work. Some watering (in particular the raised seedbed where the iceberg is finally working) rearranging the tomato plants in the big greenhouse because they are getting to be too high for the tables. We set them on the floor instead. (Had to kill me some bugs, of course, the little buggers keep persisting.)

The warning light was set back into the Opel today, which means that we can use it again. Got so used to the two cars that I almost felt handicapped without it. Hah. Ridiculous how that works, really.

Did some rearranging up by the storage again. On the most part roof plating, which has been scattered about on a big pile for the longest part, which we now neatly stacked together, in an upright position, with pins to keep the lot in place.

That done it was back to the yard for me (it felt a bit like fleeing today, but what the heck, better flee into doing something useful than not, right?). Spent several hours reconstructing all the fences grandpa tore down to turn earth. Seriously, he hates my little reed fences with a vengeance, but it simply is the only solution to keep the dogs from barging through the veggie fields.

It was nice. The sun was out, and though the wind was a bit on the nippy side, I could do most of the work in a t-shirt, which is definitely a plus. At one point I did have to don my sweater again, but by then I was almost done so I didn’t really mind.

Did a short edit in the afternoon (could postpone supper for a bit because grandpa made pancakes for lunch) which got big brother and me into another heated discussion about grammar and plot issues. Seriously, things turned nasty for a bit because there were moments when he was saying “that is wrong” every time I changed something, but did expect me to come up with a solution for it even though he couldn’t actually explain the problem. Finally compromised on a completely revised sentence that held little of the old information. Sigh

No matter though, we had to get out for rocks. And rather than just walking Knight II for a bit afterward, I decided to go for a short jog. Uphill was a disaster of course, but down hill went splendidly. Did the whole distance in one stretch, thank you very much…and better yet, the Knight actually had to go in a stretched trot, rather than just a walk while I ran. Hah.

Well, that’s it for me. I had supper, did some more edits, did the blog, and now…now I am well on my way of being fully ready to call it a day. Jeez. I’m seriously running on fumes at the moment. Hah

No comments: