Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Friday, November 9, 2012

Out of sorts

Song of the day: “Don’t worry, be happy” by…gawd, I always forget his name. What was it again…well, you know the one I mean, right? If you don’t…well, you’re obviously too young to remember. Look it up, it’s great!

So yeah, I’ve been feeling a little under the weather for the past couple of days, if you must know. Everything just appears to be…whatever. I haven’t done all that much, all things considered, seeing as the weather was, most of the time abysmal.

Yep, we’ve had flooding all over the place, in particular last night while we were all asleep and some massive rainstorm swept over the mountain. When I came to the house the corridor had two inches of water in it, the living room a couple of inches too. Then, when I got to the carport grandpa complained that water went every which way, and he told in detail how much friggin’ water came down during the night, we had a river streaming down the main path at one point. Added to that the garden pit beside our greenhouse was filled with water right up to the door of the greenhouse, and water had also streamed inside the basement apartment down by the basin.

But let’s try to do this in a bit of the original sequence, okay?
First off, I wasn’t late getting up for a chance, yesterday morning, so after chores and such (the laundry lines are filled to full capacity. Couldn’t do any laundry today) I settled behind my computer and wrote some odd 4 pages of the new book. Got that up to 60 pages now, thank you very much, and at the moment my heroine is trying to understand why she if covering for a complete stranger. All very confusing, seeing as this isn’t a romance novel and he doesn’t make her “hot”. Hah.

Oh, and before that, we were up at the Opel, putting the new side mirror in place so mom and little sister could head on out to the vet to have both Djoti III and Manni II neutered. Luckily this was in a momentary dry spell, seeing as we were up there at the top of our mountain ridge with the full wind pulling at us from all sides.

The writing done for the day, and the dogs fed (Knight ate a full bowl, my big lug.) cousin Ed and I hauled the recently painted beams back up to the storage area right before the rain started coming down again. Since we had the plastic open to store it away safely from the storm, grandpa immediately took out dry firewood.

The bad weather, me feeling a tad unsettled, I wasn’t going to be worth much, so instead of allowing myself to slide into a bad mood, I went to bed and napped for a bit. It was wonderfully warm, what with most of my dogs clustered around me, and I was sorry to get up again. Do you know that feeling on a cold wet day, when you suddenly fully understand why some animals hibernate? Hah.

There was tree planting in the past couple of days. A total of six, if my calculations are correct. Eucalypti, mostly, which are now standing proudly amongst the small woods we’re creating at the top of the property.

Seeing as Sally and tenant did the cutting of yesterday’s vegetables, I cooked supper late in the day, after big brother and I returned from picking up a donation. Supper was a noisy affair, in particular since the storm had picked back up when we were gone, and thunder tumbled right on top of us. Was seriously startling, I’ll tell you. The power stayed on, though, which was a good thing since we spent the majority of the past couple of days without it. Turns out that there was some major damage to the main line, meaning that the power people were up in the mast most of those days. Luckily they fixed it before nightfall.

Which brings us today, doesn’t it?
Woke in the dot, of course, and went through the usual rituals, despite still not feeling all that well. I wonder if it’s the weather. It does seriously cramp my style, so to speak. But anyway, grandpa and I went to the village this morning. I dropped him off at the supermarket and continued on to the vet where Knight II had to be for his bandage change.

There was a screaming puppy in the back, and I just couldn’t resist. I took Knight with me to the back and spent a solid ten minutes petting and cuddling the little screamer. Knight didn’t like it at all, and promptly turned his back on us. Hah. The little one reminded me of Moekti, a halfbreed husky we once had. Sweet though, and not at all happy. Turns out he was found inside a garbage can, but luckily the person who found it, was keeping it.

While I was there, mom and little sister also arrived because Panni, little sister’s Cocker Spaniel, was feeling poorly. His stomach hurt, and he had a fever, so they had been sorry to have missed me by ten minutes, since that would have saved on a trip. Ah well, stuff like that happens. The vet couldn’t find anything wrong, but she’s doing a blood test to see. Regretfully she thinks it has something to do with the pancreas.

Once back big brother and I went into the yard to look in on the visiting dogs. Played with them a little, petting them and just keeping them company for a bit. Next it was down to check how everything was going with the new veggie seedlings (alive and kicking despite the gutters being so saturated that they’re filled with water) and hunting the remainder of this year’s pumpkins.
We also put the hose into the garden pit, to drain the over abundance of water and let it run down the mountain where it won’t drown our potted plants. Jeez.

That done we went up to paint the last of Liane’s beams (the big one of more than fifteen feet) and to work on the wind fence behind Sally’s cabin. We’ve been working toward it for weeks, but until today, when the rain finally stopped and the sky broke open, we didn’t get to it. It’s there now, in place and sturdy, and looking rather nice, if I do say so myself. A relief that it’s done now, in particular since we worried every time the wind picked up, that it would damage the cabin. No more. The barrier of wood is there, breaking the worst of the wind when it needs to. Didn’t finish until twilight, and by then it was time to start on supper.

Rather than something new, I used yesterday’s leftovers to make veggie burgers, which went down rather well with mustard on bread. Which brings us to the end of the day, where I am desperately trying to finish this blog, so I can still do some writing on the book.

No comments: