Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Wood experiments

Song of the day: “Crazy” by Patsy Cline. This was really a conscious choice on my part because I had nursery rhymes such as Old McDonald had a farm in my head, for crying out loud. Talk about torture…was I talking about torture? I think not. Alright then, never mind. That’s weird thing to say, isn’t it? Forget I said anything.

First off, due to the rain, Sunday Market was cancelled. Yay and darn it, right? On the one hand it was nice to have a day off, on the other it is a pain in the behind because of the guy who paid the deposit could have shown up. Ah well, let’s just hope he’ll turn up the next time, eh. Third important point is that mom and the younger sibs sold more than nine dog beds, meaning there will be lots of work to do to replace them. Had them all understandably stressed out.

There was the trip to the vet. Not our usual one, since she was sick, but her replacement. Though he is nice enough, he’s not as experienced in applying bandages and such. I was there with two dogs, Knight II and Chaos, who has somehow managed to get his ear damaged the other day, leaving a small peace to dangle. Knight II behaved like a charm, and nicely waited his turn while Chaos braved the treatment (cutting the piece off without sedation,yikes) without a snarl of whimper. Good Chaos. He was a true gentleman, and more than happy to get the heck outta there as soon as we were done. Hah.

Might have an option of a little job through the assistant of the vet. She and her hubby are leaving for Madrid, so they are going to try to rent out their home. If they need someone to fix anything, they are going to give us a ring. We’ll see.
While I was there, waiting for my turn, I was chatting with a nice English lady who spends her time looking for homes for dogs she rescues, and ended up telling her about our pack. While she was repeating the number, the lady behind her (who’d just adopted one of her rescues) gasped. I assured them that the number was quite correct, and when she asked how we afforded to do such things, I pointed out the dog beds and that my mom and sisters make them to make some extra money. The lady with the new adoptee promptly walked to the basket, eyeballed the four samples, grabbed the most expensive one and said, “I’ll take this one.” Hah. Good way of doing business. That was about a twentieth of our present vet bill. *phew* Luckily the vet doesn’t make much of a problem of us sometimes paying it in parts.
*sigh*

Apparently this morning, a woman, who was going to leave for Morocco tomorrow, came out of the exam room with her dog, only to have the dog walk directly to the pile of beds and settle in one of them. She took one look at him in there and said she would just have to buy it. (Nice doggie) It had made the vet assistant laugh. If Knight’s progress stays the way it is, we’re going to try to go without bandage by the end of the week, and only have him wear the sock. Yay.

The beams for Liane. Cut the decorative shapes out. We sanded the lot of them yesterday. By hand, thank you very much. Started out with the machine, but I didn’t like the effect so opted to do it the old-fashioned way, which worked a lot better. Smooth as a baby’s bum (eeewwww) as they say, and ready for treatment with the varnish and anti-parasite stuff. Went with the color of mahogany, which is good, because they look friggin’ beautiful. Got the first layer done today, and should be able to to start with the second tomorrow, if weather permits it. Liane herself came to visit for a bit this afternoon and approved of the color (a relief, that) so I continued right on and managed to get the whole lot of them done right before the rain started. Yay.
Did some leather branding again, yellow leather this time, and am starting on my latest experiment of working on wood sculpturing. The way I figure I’ll be spending a lot of time working in the carport during this weather, so I might as well have some fun. I’m going for art, mind you, and I will show you the before and after shots the moment I feel like it.

Also worked on my hardwood Chinese boxes and glued together the small slats that will make up the lid in the near future. They’re starting to look gorgeous and I think that you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the end result. Yes, I’ll take before and after shots of that too.

Got lost a little in Wikipedia again. *sigh* A dangerous place, that. Went to check out chestnuts, only to end up reading about the history of the tree, which cost me some valuable time. Fascinating, eh, history, nature. I had no idea that they could be that old, by the way.
Now, I hear you wonder: Why the heck is she looking at chestnuts?
We had a donation again on Saturday and it held a batch of chestnuts. Personally I only know them roasted and fresh, but apparently you can also fry them (they were a staple food in Europe before the arrival of the potato) which tells you what today’s meal was, eh? Hah.

Writing. Well, considering I am so very sleepy in the evenings, I have decided to give up the battle and have been going to bed early for the last two or three days, so I can get up a little earlier and try to do my writing then. Am not sure how it is going to work in the future, but what have been single pages for the past week, or so, were three per morning instead. Not bad. Now, if only I could catch up a little. Am past fifty pages now, and it feels not at all like a romance novel so at least that is going well.

Had to go to town for a few groceries, which I didn’t like at all. Why do groceries disappear, huh? Why can’t the shelves just stay full? It is vastly annoying, I tell ya.

There was laundry, there was feeding the dogs, cutting the veggies, picking up veggies, cooking supper, carrot in mashed potato the day before yesterday, and spaghetti through veggies yesterday. Today we settled for fried pumpkin, fried chestnuts, some nuggets and some fries. Went down well enough.

As to the rest…I don’t have a clue what I’ve forgotten, of course. I bet there is plenty, but it’s the end of the day and I’m more than ready to call the end of it.

No comments: