Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Book review

Considering I don't have a lot of fun stuff to say about what's going on, except that I spent several hours on tie dying clothes this afternoon, we're going to do a long expected review today.

I’ve Been Deader, by Adam Sifre



I love this cover, but apparently there is a new one, lemme just...there you go:



On the review system of 1 to 7 (7 being awesome) I rate this a solid 5 with a potential half.

I've been deader: I liked it, but was left…wanting…a bit.
First off, Sifre’s writing style was excellent, very few typos, good sentence structure and the pacing was well done. No boring moments, plenty of action that swept me along. Lots of humor, which, if one does not agree with what appears to be the author’s nicely cynical political views there could be cause for some annoyance, but regardless there was good “take that” writing involved that made this a worthwhile read. Lots of one-liners, posturing and profound thoughts that came out as…well…”Braaaaainsss”. Definitely one of the funniest aspects there, in particular when you start expecting it.

To recap the premise, this story is about zombie Fred, who discovers he can still think, and possesses another rather unique ability you’ll have to discover yourself when you read it.
Though Fred tries to maintain his humanity, his body does not really listen to him anymore, which definitely created a variety of hilarious moments. Excellent comedy in that regard, showing Sifre’s skill as an author.

I am sorry to say that the general plot was a bit vague to me until much later on in the story. A few hints in the beginning would have been nice, but as it was, in the beginning I was left wandering in a post-apocalyptic world without much purpose. It was entertaining, but wandering nonetheless. I like plots to be straight cut and obvious, but that’s just me.

Main characters. I would think that was Fred the thinking zombie. But then there was Jon, average at first, and psycho extraordinaire (to me anyway) later on. Personally I would have liked to see some “hero material” in this story. I am old fashioned that way, and prefer one or two characters that I really like, rather than a whole bunch of characters that each have a few likeable aspects, but aren’t, like, WOW! Which was the case in this particular story. Regretfully, except for Timmy, who wasn’t really a lead until further on in the book, most characters had traits that made me unable to root for any of them. If that was the author’s intention (a possibility, considering his wonderfully whacky sense of humor) he was highly successful.

For a quick, funny zombie read, with good quality writing this is definitely the book for you. If you’re more traditional in your tastes when it concerns a good zombie book, you might want to give this one a pass. I am curious how the rest of the story will go, so the open ending certainly served its purpose

In case you're curious, here's the link : Link

I'm going to see if maybe I can get Mr. Sifre to agree to a blog interview, which should be fun, but I'm just going to have to wait to find out if I can squeeze a good Q & A in somewhere.

That's it. My excuse for not writing a proper blog to boot, is that it's after midnight and I've just spent the majority of the evening putting together packages to send out to publishers. It's a pain. Hah

No comments: