Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Slight mishap.

Philosophical thought of the day:
If life flows, as it will with the passage of time, what good does worrying about the future do?
It’s an honest question. It’s been bugging me all day and the only answer I can think of is that worrying about anything does absolutely nothing.
Which brings another question to the surface: Why do I(we) worry at all? It is so unconstructive in the end, because worries don’t actually make one do anything. Or does it?
Food for thought.

The day:
I get up half an hour late this morning, considering I was procrastinating sleep again last night. Stupid, I know, but what can I say, I got distracted and forgot the time. I pay the price today in spades, I admit. That extra half hour really doesn’t cut it. Hah.

But that’s beside the point, I guess. I head on down to the house so big brother and I can start on the edit asap. We manage to go over two chapters of “Saving Nina” in the read-through edit, which is less than I wanted, but more than I expected, in light of the chores that kept us from really getting into it.

Since big brother and I intend do go to town today, trying to search for shoes (his size is a pain in the butt to get) so we have to start with building a little early. The sibs have only just arrived when we head on out to commence making cement and preparing the site for today’s session.

When the sibs join us, the first batch of cement is already made, and with a lot of silly jokes going back and forth, we all pile more rocks, while big brother searches for just the right ones he needs to make the stairs that lead to the patio door.

I’m only just getting started, really, adding about three feet to a section of the wall when our time’s up (our tenant needs to be picked up again in two hours, so we’re on a tight schedule) and we need to hurry to get ready.

Finding sneakers for big brother is, as expected, more than a little difficult. We visit over five stores and come up empty. We’re about to visit the last possibility too, when the phone call comes in that we have to head on up the mountain again to pick our tenant up from the bar where the ambulance has dropped her off.

Traffic is pure hell today, jamming up at practically every turn because, as usual, when summer’s approaching road works are all over the place, rerouting traffic and cutting it off at random intervals. It gets so bad at one point that I’ve no idea where we are. Luckily, we make out a familiar building in the distance and start winding our way through tiny streets until we once again return to the main road that leads home.

Our tenant…in good spirits after her third rehab session…gets delivered on her front step, and we’re about to drive onto the property when we hear that there was a slight mishap with a couple of the dogs while we were gone.

Apparently, Ama (a Viscla pointer) and Adma (a pocket Beagle) got into a bit of tussle through the center fence. This resulted in Adma grabbing Ama’s ear and tearing a corner shaped piece of skin out that now dangles down. She bled all over the place. Seeing that this particular two-inch cut is not something we can handle ourselves, big brother and I decide to take the dog to the veterinary hospital immediately.

Ama, though trembling with fear, behaves bravely throughout the drive and the following examination. With her tail between her legs, she settles in her cage, since it is near closing time and we have to leave her there for the night for her operation. With the reassurance that we’ll come back in the morning to pick her up, we depart and head back home.

Little sister has prepared dinner of mac ‘n cheese with veggies, which is a dish we both favor, but since it is already so late, I manage to eat only a little. We’re just barely in time to watch an episode of “Burn Notice” and then, before I know it, the day is over.

Time. How come it flies when a day isn’t exactly a success, too?

No comments: