Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Snoozing a write. Hah.

So, no extreme soreness today, much to my relief. As a matter of fact, the legs are coping really well with yesterday’s strain. The upper part of the body is actually giving me more trouble, which is weird. For some reason I’m stiff in the shoulders, ribs and stomach, and though the thighs do let me know they’re “there”, on the overall I’m pretty pleased with how it all turned out.

I wake up right on the dot this morning, but I’m so friggin’ tired I dose off again once I’m in the house. Big brother and grandpa have gone to get a new load of sand, and I just can’t keep my eyes open and snooze for about thirty minutes. Realizing my error, I shake myself out of it and focus on the computer to do some writing for a change.

I manage to get about half a page for “Finding Maddie” the sequel to “Saving Nina” (aka, the edit project. Hah) done before big brother comes home.
Perhaps I should add a short sum-up of the story? It is not as out-of-the-ordinary like SN, by any means, but it does have some perks.

So, the basic premises of the plot (meaning the entire “No Escape from Rising Sun” series) is this: Two decades ago, the Rising Sun sect gathered more than forty children for the sole purpose of creating mindless soldiers that could be used for their own nefarious goal of achieving¾okay, this sounds a little tacky, but what the hey¾world domination.
Upon realizing that the sect is a threat to national security, the government sent a small group of Navy SEALs to destroy the base camp-up until that point unaware of the children present within the compound.
Rather than risk detection, the leaders of the sect order these child-soldiers to commit mass suicide. Only five survive.
The series is about these children and how they had to learn to cope in society and become adults in a world that doesn’t understand them.
This turns out to be impossible, when four years after the destruction of the Rising Sun sect, they are basically forced to work for a covert agency that, in its own way, is just as ruthless and evil as the sect was.
At last, (this is in the prequel titled “Commanding Morgan”…I know, I’m doing it all backwards. Bear with me; it’s been a long day) this agency was stopped due to a huge media scandal; at which time the remaining child-soldiers disappeared without a trace.

So, this brings us to “Finding Maddie” (at last). It takes place about a year after Nina’s story and it describes how two of the former Rising Sun child-soldiers are trying desperately to keep their child, Maddie, safe from the psychotic nemesis that has been haunting all the characters of the series.

Hmmm. I’m going to have cut this short. I’ll get back to a more thorough description in the near future once I start writing on it again.
Up until now, I’ve only gotten about one third of the story worked out, but it’s really developing rather nicely: Lots of intrigue, guesswork and a healthy (or unhealthy, depending on one’s point of view) dose of action.

Back to the day:
We start editing as soon as my coffee mug is refilled. It goes well, we manage more than sixteen pages-a read-through edit, rather than rewrite one-and are pretty pleased with the end result. The prologue and 1st chapter are immediately sent to a couple of my proofreaders, so we can get feedback on the progress so far.

Around the usual time, we head on up to start working on the wall. Since we have to wait for middle sister to mix our cement, the younger sibs and I start shifting around rocks to make room along the wall-lots rolled down from the long pile positioned diagonally to it-and then resume our rock puzzling for the next few hours.

Today metal rods need to build into the structure, and working on our respective sections, rapidly the wall is brought up another foot, or so.
By the time we finish for the day, about three yards of the entire barrier is up to the aimed-for height, bringing us another step closer to completion.

Wanting to have some of the sand and cement left for tomorrow, we quit when we’re halfway through today’s load; clean up; snap some pictures and then head into the house.
Grandpa has made a variety of pancakes for dinner again, apple, plain and cheese, and my stomach is growling while I quickly go through the laundry chore.

Since I’ve a hankering for vegetables I make a simple salad of iceberg slaw, cherry tomatoes, red bell pepper and some rasped cheese before I actually dig in.
“CSI” the new season with Lawrence Fishbourne is on today, followed by an episode of “Bones” and we watch it, pleasantly surprised at only finding a handful of brittle and “sluggish” ticks still pestering the dogs.

It appears as if yesterday’s communal bath was effective, because the big bloodsuckers are fragile and weak, while most of the little ones that we can still find on a variety of dogs are actually already dead. Yay. All was not for naught!

Big brother and I do another edit at the end of the evening, going through another chapter and receive a message from the first of my proofreaders, who’s chomping at the bit to read the next installment. Hah. Such news always cheers me up. Wish I got it every day.

Afterwards-midnight has already passed-I quickly take my dogs up to my cabin, feed them, read a book and then start the computer back up…which concludes today’s Blog. It is short but it touches all the “highlights”, I guess.

No comments: