Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Bureaucracy: It's a pain! Hah.

Song of the day: “My Lullaby” by Maria Mena. A cute song, just not the most exciting one to have swirling through your head most of the day. Of course, afterwards there was this really annoying kiddie song that took it’s place, so I was wishing that Mena came back.

Okay, early day this morning, and I’ll admit to not liking it in the least to rearrange schedules, just to get it all done. We had to get the car to the obligatory yearly check up and then tackle the motor vehicle dept. to finally find out what the heck is taking them so friggin’ long in sending us our official licenses.

But I’m getting ahead of myself again; a nasty tendency, I know. Do bear with me.
So let’s get back on track. The alarm screeches, disturbing a rather interesting dream about “Prison Break” of all things. A pity too, it was just about to get interesting.

Time to unwrap the bandage, roll out of bed and get going. I go to the house, deposit my bag, have a quick breakfast with coffee. Half an hour later, we’re on our way to the city, making it just in time to the technical inspection…that makes us “fail” (an annoying little man who had a face as if he was looking at something vile) due to the missing third seatbelt of the center seat in the back of the truck. Aaargh.

Apparently, it makes no difference if the backseat of the truck is too small to harbor three people and that the center belt was never used and just annoyed us.
But noooooh, we need to have it put in before we get our certificate. So now we have to make another appointment for when we get the stupid belt from the shop, at which time we get to return (yay) to go through the entire procedure again. We get to spend time and money on fuel so we can shell out another fifty bucks to get something that we’re obligated to get.

Oh my. It amazes me how governments work that way. You pay taxes and then get to pay more for stuff that are not a service supplied, no, they’re an obligation…with opening hours that are so short no self-respecting shop could earn a living with, mind you. I can make money that way. Wouldn’t it be grand I could make it a law that people HAVE to buy my books, or else? Why not charge for air too, while they’re at it. Bloody bureaucracy. They piss me off. They really do.

But anyway, who cares…Afterwards we head for the traffic bureau where we spend a “blissful” hour standing in line and waiting for our number to come up. Yep, they better be grateful for those bulletproof windows ‘cause there were some frustrated people around. Hah

Luckily, the lady we talk with is forthcoming and supplies us with an old model license, because the one that was send in the mail obviously didn’t (and never would) arrive. It’s this scrap of pink paper that gets printed on the spot, they rub on some glue and then stick a picture on in, an voila: Driving license on the spot…and for that I get to shell out my hard earned money.

No matter though. If all goes well, it should tide me over for at least ten years…knock on wood, cross my finger and roll my eyes…so I’m happy with at least one success today.

When we return home and release the pack…apparently they were remarkably quiet during our absence (good dogs)…and then pour ourselves some much needed coffee before setting up the computer.

We only manage a page or so of the epilogue, considering we got way too little sleep, and so, and hour before our usual quitting time, we start on a more active task - if only to prevent exhaustion from getting the better of us.

For the next couple of hours I clean. Fake plants get hosed down and the ceilings and walls are once again rid of the spider webs and dust. Since I’m busy anyway, I also rearrange some electrical wires and a light fixture in the kitchen, finishing up just when we’re supposed to head on outside for another session with the rocks.

The third plant container is added in the hours that follow, along with the last step leading to my porch. It is all starting to come together and we all take a moment to admire the progress made before we return to the house for the meal mom has prepared for dinner.

First, we decide to remove Yama’s stitches. She was the crossbreed that got a hysterectomy a little while back. The slightly scarred skin is looking good, and though it takes us a while to achieve the removal (I’m almost lying on top of her) soon she is walking around the other dogs again, happy as you please.

Once we’ve eaten, and with the approach of dusk, big brother and I go to the car (we need to be fast before it’s too dark) so we can get another load of dirt to fill up the terrace.

It takes us about twenty minutes to fill the back of the truck up, and then we’re back on our way home. Since our tenant needs to go to physical therapy again tomorrow we spend another fifteen minutes unloading the dirt too and then go down to relax a little with an episode from “Bones”.

My wrists are a tad achy from all the activity, and I patiently wait for midnight to arrive (it’ll only take an hour) so I can head for my cabin to retire for the night.

Gawd, I really do need to get some sleep fast.

No comments: