Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Monday, June 8, 2009

Semi-rest day. Yay!

Song of the day: “La principe valiente” by Amistades Peligrosas. Gawd, I haven’t heard the song in years...at least not deliberately...so I wonder how I managed to even remember the (Spanish) lyrics, let alone the melody. There were a few other songs, a brave attempt on my part to “change the tune” so to speak, but LPV was definitely the main theme.

I’m a tad late this morning. I just couldn’t open my eyes during wake-up time and ended up snoozing an extra ten minutes. Ah, well, no harm done, I supposed. I remove the wrappings and test my wrists. Since they’re reasonably well, I leave the wrappings off and get out of bed.

Dreadfully stiff and with my eyes at half-stock (I hate it when that happens) I do a few stretches prior to getting dressed for the day, and then head on out the cabin into the bright, but fresh morning air. Beautiful weather again; sunny but cool, just like the younger sibs like it. Hah.

After breakfast and the usual morning chores, sincerely hoping that my eyes will open appropriately, we start on the edit. Again it goes slowly, but steadily, going through a couple of pages in the hours that pass, and during which we get distracted a lot.

We stumble a little on a particular phrasing here, a wrong punctuation mark there, but other than that, it’s not going too bad when the time arrives for us to head on out.
Since little sister and I are both having some discomfort in our wrists…definitely overdid the lifting part these past few weeks, hah…we tackle the car for a good washing.

Tomorrow we need to take the car to the city for it’s official check up with the traffic bureau of the county. Our “permiso de circulacion” needs to be renewed, and for that the tedious chore of heading over the there and probably wait there for hours on end (aargh) for our turn is jotted down in our mental day planner. I am not looking forward to it, that’s a fact, but what needs to be done has to be done in the end.

So, we wash the car, remove the tattered and torn coverings from the seats (can’t give a bad impression after all) and replace it with a new set that we bought on sale six months, or so, ago. It’s a rather heavy task, twisting and turning into all sorts of shapes while we attempts to attach the coverings to the seats, but in the end, with the car gleaming, the dashboard cleaned and the “new” seats, the truck is looking mighty nifty.

While little sister and I did the car, the other sibs emptied yesterday’s dirt load from the back of the truck, and then went off to different ventures while we finished up the cleaning.

Once we’re done, it is time to change clothes, bring the dogs inside and get ready for the run we planned to take today. Though some exercise won’t go amiss, the ol’ bod is complaining somewhat fierce as I dress in my workout clothes, slip into my sneakers and then head up to the car where little sister is already waiting.

At last, the three younger sibs have come to a point in their lives where they want to learn how to drive - not so much getting a license, but just “knowing” how to handle a car without driving into a ditch. This is why we decided that, since we head out onto narrow dirt roads in deserted areas for our running anyway, we might as well take the opportunity to start with lessons.

While little brother had his turn during the last run, little sister takes hers today. It is quite charming to see her excitement (little sister always literally glows when she enjoys something) when we finally reach the dirt road and we change places so she can settle behind the wheel.

Basically, this is the first time that she’s driving our wonderfully clean truck, so there are a few hiccups at the start…the lower gear does make it a lot easier on her…but once she gets a hang of it she is carefully touring towards the small parking area where we stop to go for our run.

The run goes well, taking less than an hour, and afterwards we’re all standing around the car going through the cool-down stretches and other exercises that will keep joints and muscles flexible. Since we need to turn the car anyway, little sister gets to drive almost four miles in total and she is delighted by the time we return to the house with her very first driving lesson behind her.

I’m actually quite relieved that little sister is doing the driving on the bumpy road. Every jerk and bump is bothering my wrist, so if I were holding the wheel I’d be sure to be in some serious pain. Ah yes, I’m learning to see the positive side of things these days, hah. Upon reaching the main road, little sister and I exchange places again and I drive home…on the smooth and bump-less blacktop, thankfully.

Mom has dinner waiting for us, so after washing up and greeting the dogs we heartily dig in. Excellent meal: Curried zucchini, green beans with coconut shavings and basmati rice. It always reminds me of my childhood for some reason.

With dinner behind us, big brother and I resume the edit and add another two pages, ending the last chapter with gleeful pleasure…for us, anyway. Only the epilogue to go, along with the new scene, and then the re-write edit will actually be completely and irrevocably, DONE! Yes, yes…Yay!

Sure, it will need a read-through edit still, and probably another read-through after that, but the hard work will be over. Phew. I can hardly encompass it when I think about it; maybe I’ll have better luck tomorrow. Hah.

I’ve a feeling that I’m missing something, and event that I wanted to write down for today, but for the life I can’t remember what it was. It’s so frustrating. It’s like trying to think of a word and it’s on the tip of your tongue, you just can’t figure out what it is. Darn it!

Lemme think. I wrote about the edit, the car washing, the run, little sister’s first driving lesson…nope. I’m coming up blank. Don’t you just hate it when that happens? Ah well, maybe I’ll have remembered by this time tomorrow…I wonder if I’ll be able to state that the epilogue of “Saving Nina” is done then too. That sure would be something. I’m still trying to think of a way to celebrate.

So, with that bit of pleasant news the evening comes to an end, and with it today’s blog.

No comments: