Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Warm summer day...the first.

Song of the day: “A little bit” by Maria Mena. Good one.

An actual summer day has come to pass; sweltering air, no breeze to speak of, the sun pounding down relentlessly and basically it’s a day for slow motions, languid speech and leisured start ups. Not necessarily a bad thing, but still; it is so unexpected that it is hard to shift gears.

Usually we have about a month or so to get acclimated to the summer weather but today (yesterday too, I guess) was just a tad sudden. I think I’m gonna need at least a week before I can be happy about this change in temperatures.
A plus: the dogs are remarkably quiet most of the time. They sure know when to lay low…warm weather being the magic stuff in that regard, hah.

Well, considering that there was lots of going back and forth to the village today, it wasn’t such a bad thing.

But I’m getting ahead of myself…call it impatience.
I wake up with a fuzzy head; it is something that always happens when the temperatures rise, so the first thing I do when I get up is stick my head in the tub, I’ve filled in the sink, to get rid of it.

The morning rituals follow; the dogs already rushing back into cabin in record time, because, let’s face it, the sand is too hot for their poor little feet. Feeling a little daunted, too, I quickly head down to the house where the temperature will stay a lot more bearable for a while yet, and slap my computer bag down on the table so I can quickly get to the laundry.

Later on it will be bone-melting hot under the corrugated-aluminum roof of the courtyard; getting the laundry tackled before noon is rather essential if I don’t want to be covered in sweat within two minutes.

That thankfully done and the dry folded and put away for later pickups from the rest of the family, big brother and I settle down to work on the synopsis for real. In the next five hours, we tackle the distilling task of getting the story down to the bare basics and are actually forced to give it up. I need to take Amri (mix breed) and middle sister’s Angie (Basset Hound) to the vet.

Amri has been troubled by a rather massive growth on his chest…it’s a little gross description, bit it was starting to look like a large pair of testicles, dangling between his front legs…so I figure it’s time to have it removed.

Angie, on the other hand, has been secreting mucus from her nose and eyes, so rather than risk the parasite that at one point bothered one of our huskies, Sama, we want to have her checked out.

In the village, it is even hotter, and even though the vet is a miser when it comes to using the AC in his hospital, it is relatively cool inside the building. We’re inside a long time; Amri is not a problem. He just needs to stay there for the night so they can operate on him this evening, or in the morning.

Angie, on the other hand, doesn’t appreciate the exam at all. It doesn’t help that the vet needs to use a sharp, very small melon scoop, to get a blood sample. It once again demonstrates the aristocrat-attitude Bassets appear to possess. “Oh Lord almighty; the shame! I will never look upon you again.” A Basset can give a very typical look when it does not agree with the treatment it’s receiving, and it practically speaks those exact words, hah.

Regretfully the poor girl needs to stay for a few hours too. They want to check her to see if she hasn’t got one of the horrific grass seeds in her nose (remember the Clue debacle, and the way the seed has torpedoed its way through his body?) just to be on the safe side.

Middle sister and I head home, making a short stop at the ferreteria for glue and then returning in time to have a quick dinner. I’ve only got forty-five minutes before we need to head back to pick the Basset up. I still need to finish the pool tiling thing, and I manage just barely before we’re off again.

We sit at the hospital for almost and hour…they’re operating Amri…and then head out to get a quick load of rocks while the vets finish up with the operation. Fully loaded up we return, and get a temporary prognosis that Angie is likely suffering from a rather common problem in these regions: Leishmania.

I still think that it’s the parasite, but we’ll see. Amri’s operation went well, the vet claims, and we can come pick him up tomorrow…because they want to keep an eye on him.

Once home, we unload, of course, and then head inside to have a quick snack and watch “Twilight”. It wasn’t bad, I’ll admit, but…well, slow. I was just going through some scenes wondering when something was going to happen. Hah.

Midnight has arrived quickly, and the heat is persisting, and rather than settle on my bed for tonight’s Blog, I sit down on my porch instead. It isn’t until three in the morning has arrived that the wind picks up a little and brings the temperature down at least a little.

Well, on the overall today wasn’t bad, so I guess we’ll have to catalogue it in the good-side section. Hah.

No comments: