Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Autum's approaching rapidly...darn it!

Song of the day: “Pop goes my heart” by Hugh Grant and band from the movie Music and Lyrics. The song cracks me up every time, especially when I imagine the clip they made for it.

Today’s proofreading went well after the usual morning chores. We managed a solid chapter in the hours that passed, doing a few more random fact checks while we were at it. Yep, definitely a good day for the manuscript.

The weather was wonderfully (at least the sibs thought so) cool. Me? I’m already missing the heat of the summer darn it. Still, the sun was shining, a fresh breeze came in from the sea and well…it was an excellent day for outside work, and we used it wholeheartedly.

Went out about half and hour earlier than usual, and since the sibs were still doing…well, whatever the heck they like to do before the workday starts, I go down to the new wall to start hauling some rocks to the site. I’ve got a nice stash going, when little sister begins making cement. The wall goes really well today, middle sister and I add a good foot and a half on top of the section we did yesterday.

The dogs are constantly in the way, of course. They love nothing more than lying down exactly there where we have to walk back and forth. Now the little cockers aren’t much of a problem, but labs Knight II (Great Dane) well, they’re hard to step over, especially when they decide to get up just when you’re trying to step over them. Aaargh. Almost fell flat on my face while carrying two huge buckets of cement up the narrow path.

Big ass rocks today, make it a speedy process. One rock was actually so big I couldn’t lift it at first, but then after warming up with some smaller ones, I do manage it…of course by then I’d already forgotten that I tried the weight out and found it too heavy…still, I didn’t remember until I had already placed it beside the wall.
We use cement for the façade of the wall, clean and smooth for the flat big rocks; concrete in the back and then pour a really thin mix over the entirety. That wall isn’t going anywhere, that’s a fact. I’m going to have to post pictures to do it justice. Hah.

What with the days getting shorter, about half way through a bikini top gets to be too cold, so I had to get a shirt. Soon I won’t be able to do shorts anymore either, darn it. I’m actually cold during the cleanup afterwards, but manage to warm up a little when I start hauling down wheelbarrows of sand for tomorrow’s work.

That done and with twilight already starting up, I head towards where big brother is finishing the three steps of yet another stairs he is making. I help out, by throwing in some rubble and then we smoothen out the last step of the day.

It is almost completely dark when we continue on our way up to make measure out the gate so big brother can start making plans for the new gate we intend to build in the next few months. What with yesterday’s batch, we should be able to make it too. Yay. The only thing we need now is steel, which we’re going to have to buy next month or so. I’m actually looking forward to it.

So that brings another successful day to an end. Maybe some more proofreading tonight, and then I’m done.

No comments: