Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Monday, September 7, 2009

Lotsa stuff.

Song of the day: “Downtown” by Petula Clark. Gawd, can they be any older.

So let’s keep it short again, lots got done, just nothing that was particularly exciting.

I started out getting up in time, but then about an hour later I literally couldn’t keep my eyes open, which is why I took a seventy-minute catnap on the couch before big brother and I got to work. Since the lack of focus that bothered us yesterday is still very much in presence, we spend the remainder of writing time going randomly through the manuscript, picking out scenes, checking facts etc. It is a rather relaxing way to work, so we just might do the same thing tonight.

Okay, today’s projects: The path worked out fine, and by the time we finish computer work, the temporary fencing can be removed and we are able to try it out for walking. The ridges we put in, so we won’t skid are deep enough while not feeling unpleasant underneath our shoes, so all is well.

Next we head for the terrace underneath the veranda, to check on what needs to be done before we can start fortifying the old wall. As it turns out, it will be easier to build a new wall at a slight distance and build a terrace in front of the house. Sure it’ll be a lot of work, but in the end it will be less than when we have to tear down the old one…which could be slightly dangerous as well.

So yeah, more wall building ahead, but it is a project that won’t have a lot priority once we’ve build the supportive part on the east side of the house. Next we haul the cement mixer down to the old pool terrace and while the sisters and big brother begin hauling rocks closer to the veranda, little brother and I head up to the gate.

Armed with a shovel and wheelbarrows, we make a joint effort to get a large amount of sand down so we can start under the veranda either tomorrow or the day after tomorrow. After eight loads, we stop with the sand, figuring that we’ve got enough for at least one day of cement mixing. By then big brother has started using the sledgehammer on a large outcropping in the main path. It’s the place where for the past ten years cement was made, so there’s a lot of dried concrete that we proceed to haul down to save for filling up the empty space behind the future wall.

With that done we do some cleaning up, after which we head for the carport to do some minor repairs. The glass gets set in my new window, the lock put in and since I’m busy anyway, I repair the doors of two closets in my cabin.

Now all that’s left for today…after this Blog that is. Yep, I’m just about ready to call it a day…you know what. I am calling it a day! Hah.

No comments: