Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Monday, September 14, 2009

Yep, another two at the same time.

Song of the day (well, yesterday, technically): “Open Road” by Bryan Adams. Beautiful! *sigh*

I hate it when it happens (this blogging thing is a horrible addiction) but it happened again last night: I didn’t have time to write the BLOG! (insert classic horror movie scream here)
But anyway, I’m over it…sorta.

Let’s see if I can remember everything. Yesterday:

I’m slowly getting used to the new schedule, I think, ‘cause yesterday the eye-droopy thing wasn’t as bad as the day’s before.
There were the morning chores after wrestling the monster Boxer to calm…I think it’s the moon position, or something, ‘cause she is behaving horribly again, darn it.
Okay, I’ve lamented Trin Trin’s insanity often enough, so let’s skip that.

There were the morning chores; a huge batch of laundry, going through the laundry closet to check out why so much is still in there and “certain folks” aren’t taking theirs up to their quarters, followed by digging out a cabinet that somehow was piled with so much junk that the stuff got up to the ceiling. So frustrating.

That done, and with my habitual coffee in hand big brother and I settled down for the proofreading corrections in the manuscript project. Managed another chapter, thankfully; it seems like an endless process, but we are getting closer to the end, phew.

After five hours of correcting, shuffling around punctuation and doing some more reading through the “Chicago Manual of Style” (rather handy book that, lots of interesting suggestions…or rules, whichever way you want to look at it. I prefer the first, hah). And we laughed ourselves silly over the “love scene” and needed only few improvements. Hah.

About an hour earlier than usual, we head out in the cloudy day, hearing thunder rumble behind our mountain. Just in case the rain starts, I decide to start working on the gutter/ditch again, this time with the help of little brother, since the sisters opt to paint the gates with this really pretty cobalt blue Hammerite I bought Thursday.

Rather than dump the sand that lies under the carport somewhere, I decide we might as well save it and have grandpa get one of the one-ton bags in which our sand is usually delivered.
Little brother and I set it up in the corner and start filling it up with the vast amount of sand that still litters the ground.

We actually manage to fill it up completely, which is somewhat astounding, but pleasant since that means we’ll still be able to build even though we won’t be able to buy new sand until next month. (Dontcha just hate a budget. I do, hah.)

With little brother still shoveling sand, big brother and grandpa work on the semi-new door in the courtyard and then start repairing the small stand for the drill (we’re going to need it once we start on the gate) which has been rusting somewhat fierce for the past few years.

There’s a bit more drilling to be done in the gutter too, jutting rock from underground is persistently getting in the way, but by then the thunder is no longer audible, so it really is just cosmetics on my part. The bruises on my wrists aren’t all that bad, or so I’ve found, uncomfortable yes, but otherwise they don’t hinder the chore.

With twilight’s approach more clouds pack together, but considering this is (was) Sunday night, big brother and I decide to go out on a garbage run for all the debris that have been piling up again. On the way to the landfill, a few minor drops of rain come down, but other than that the heavy clouds are just blustering. The drive there is actually kind of pretty, what with lightning flashing to the west and north.

So yeah, we dump a full load on the location, and then end up filling the back of the cab up to full capacity again. Some idiot (and I use that term with the full meaning of the word) decided to dump up to ten, 7 feet long, 4X4s of perfectly fine wood right on top of the garbage. I mean, seriously. No wonder the world is getting short on wood with waste like that. They are basically in pristine condition and, well, the moron can dump more there any day for as far as I’m concerned, because now we’ll be able to build a partition in the carport, hah.

Oh yeah, we also found a damn pretty cabinet of wood on rubber wheels that I know we’re going to be able to use once big brother and I start working on the little office. Oh yeah, we intend to make a small office on the veranda…it’ll allow us to continue work in the winter while the rest of the family is watching TV (did I mention that before). But anyway, maybe we’ll be able to make the cabinet into shelving, or something.

And with the full cab we head on home to start on a midnight dinner, more laundry and then to our quarters…I need to sweep my floor, ‘cause grandpa is putting borders in my cabin against the winter winds, and hadn’t managed to get to sweeping up the mess.
There is a quick hand-bath some proofreading and then I really need to get to bed ‘cause I was seriously done-in-for for the day. Hah.

Which brings us to today:

Song of the day: “Blame it one me” by Maria Mena. Such a sweet little song. I really do like this artist.

I wake up slightly sore from yesterday’s (and the day before) work, but after some stretches, bending and turning, I manage to get out of bed (after tossing the monster Boxer in the backyard, the nut hung in my blouse, for crying out loud! aaargh) to start on the morning rituals.

Down at the house there is more laundry to be done, and some more planning as to what we’re going to do today. It’s still up for grabs, what with the next four to five hours reserved for proofreading, so right after the morning chores we set to it.

I do some improv writing, along with yesterday’s part of the blog, and afterwards we go through another chapter of improvements, which bring us another ten pages or so closer to the ending. Done with this, I quickly hang another batch of laundry and then head outside.

While grandpa and big brother start working with the wood we found yesterday (it is going to be perfect for the new office on the veranda; heck it almost seems as if it was made for it) and I take the younger sibs up to grandpa’s bungalow, so we can start making the small wall in front of it. Up until now, he has had a temporary in front of his place, and it simply won’t do any longer.

There’s some digging while little sister makes cement, and then we start hauling rocks in to make a wall of about one foot high that stretches in front of the bungalow. It works pretty well, and I even managed to find a reasonable amount of square shaped rocks that will make up the pillar for his little gate.

The dogs don’t particular enjoy this project, since I am behind the fence while building the low wall, they lie along it to stare at me rather miserably, trying to get in every time little brother comes through the gate with the wheelbarrow full of cement.

By the end of the afternoon, we quit building for the day…can’t get those pillars higher until tomorrow when everything has dried a little. After cleaning up the majority of the day’s mess, I head down to the carport to help grandpa and big brother for a bit…the frame is almost done…and then, once we’ve cleaned up we go inside for dinner.

Little sister has made mac & cheese (it’s really all my stomach can take these days) along with some fresh tomatoes in it. First a shower, of course, and then food, which is pretty much the conclusion of the day.

Maybe some proofreading later on, but then I’m definitely ready to call it a night.

No comments: