Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Hauling butt.

Song of the day: “Mr. Rock & Roll” by Amy MacDonald, which was preceded (meaning yesterday) by “Coconut” by Harry Nelson. Remember that song? You know, from “Practical Magic” when they have midnight margaritas? Such a funny song, really.

Well, let’s keep this short shall we, lots to do, and only so little time to do it in, darn it.

After the last blog there was a rather successful scavenge that re-supplied our woodpile considerably, which is always excellent news…from my perspective anyway. There was another rock gathering trip, and we got some more sand and tiles, all for the variety of projects going on, of course.

The younger sibs are pretty down at the moment, by the way. Considering that Sita was their dog, this is not really surprising, just sad. I still think that distraction is the best cure, mourning for days on end doesn’t help anyone, not Sita, and least of all them, but such is the mourning period, and sometimes there is just no other way through than go through it.
Little sister did join me in hauling rocks yesterday, and we did a lot…Gawd, did we ever.

We did a slight calculation in the evening (being sore all over) and discovered that we hauled a stunning total of…yes, hold your hat and I would like to insert a drum roll…at least 6000 pounds. I was like; Yikes, might have overdone it a little, seeing as my muscles were insisting on feeling every single pound individually. Hah.

No matter though, it was nothing a little sleep couldn’t heal…which of course meant that I didn’t sleep as well as I’d hoped. I actually had a freaky nightmare of leaf lice crawling all over the yard, frizzing like mad and turning the ground almost bluish until I woke up itching all over. Seriously, it took me more than an hour to get over the itches, and I actually had to turn on the light to get rid of the images that caused the sensation. Aaaargh.

Which reminds me: We are doing daily vigils of the veggies in search of caterpillars, and are finding approximately ten a day on a variety of plants. Not bad.

Progress report on the veggies: we had another iceberg slaw, our first two batches of Swiss Chard, which is growing splendidly, our own wild onions, the second helping of fresh Parsley, and the first two strawberries got cut up in nine semi-equal parts and passed around. Hah. There was also a small helping of fresh spinach, which went into the salad. All of it was yummy, of course.

We sowed more Swiss chard, sweet corn, cilantro, oregano, basil, lavender and chamomile. This random planting is going to be fascinating; it makes me wonder how much (or how little) harvest we’re going to get this year, hah.

Editing: Not a lot of progress, only eight or ten pages, but respectively they were good edits after all. We’re getting closer to half, so we’re doing well enough, I guess.

The medication on the dogs is working, I think. Some have already lost their cough again and I’ll just continue giving it until I feel confident that they’ll get through it without further aid. Clue for instance, has already conquered the bug: Good for Clue.

Which, once again reminds me: That coughing syrup I made for our tenant a little while back, really worked, because she got over her coughing really fast. That certainly is a fun thing to hear. That cough syrup recipe is definitely going into the books. Hah.

No comments: