Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Monday, May 3, 2010

Three days. *gasps*

Song of the day: “Closer to fine” by the Indigo Girls. Boy, oh boy, that’s old. I remember being in…well Spain when I first heard it. I guess it was in the early nineties and at that time we were staying at a camping ground in Punta Umbria, over by Huelva. An incredibly wet winter that we spent in the trailer + tent most of it, getting a solid flooding because we had set up the tent, in what turned out to be a huge ditch. Hah. One moment we were sitting in the front tent, and the next we were, like, hey, what’s this air doing underneath the tarp?…woosh, up to our knees in the bright orange water. Hah.
Those were the days; little sister barely a year and a half, little brother barely over a toddler, and the rest…well, let’s just say everyone was a LOT younger.

But enough maudlin, let’s get to the present and thus the ongoing projects.
Edits…well, we missed a full day, simply because we just couldn’t fit in a session (today is starting to look like one of those, by the way) but no matter, we passed 210 pages, so we’re definitely nearing the end of the first edit. Yay.

The greenhouse is looking splendid. Two ribs are up, (back and front) the center posts and anything that involved masonry, except plaster work. Considering it will need only a little of that, my job at the greenhouse is rapidly coming to an end. Good thing too, seeing as we really should scratch out a few hours to grout the swimming pool, darn it. But anyway, yesterday little sister and I finished the masonry, actually enjoying the clouds that suddenly slid in front of the sun.

Which reminds me, the weather is still acting somewhat whacky. It has been pretty warm these past few days, which was really good for the lushly blooming mimosas, and now, according to the weather reports and the sky, we’re getting a few cooler days again. Great! It means that we need to give less water to the plants.

Apparently I did something wrong with my foot recently, ‘cause it is bothering me something fierce these past few days. Seriously I’ve had to resort to icing the thing, and using Arnica gel and support bandages just to get around. Gawd, that hurts like an SOB, I tell ya. But anyways, it appears to be slightly better now, after propping my leg up several times in the evenings.

Okay, status report of the yard: we had our very first meal, made entirely out of veggies from our own soil. A beautiful, delicious and very big cauliflower, a couple of leek, a batch of Swiss Chard, which was absolutely divine baked in cheese and chives. Along with some boiled potatoes, dinner was wonderful.

The day before it we had our own summer carrots, hah, which little sister used through the Asian stir fry, gawd, I’m starting to salivate and I should be wrapping this up so I can start on pizza (from scratch, literally, because all the shelves are practically empty and we NEED to do grocery shopping tomorrow) for tonight. It is going to be an adventure to find out if it is going to be edible, hah.

Lots of mosquitoes these days, I’ve got a cheek filled with tiny little bumps because of it. This is the first time in years that they’re liking my blood again, I guess I’m going to have to adjust to summer again to get rid of the pesky little critters.

But anyways, there were a couple of runs (part of the reason my foot hurts, I think) one of them on the boulevard in town. The run didn’t go bad, but I much prefer doing my running in the woods or on some remote spot. People staring at people make me feel itchy, and that is definitely not a good thing when you’re focusing on your run.

We got rocks again too…it is one of the disadvantages of no longer having the Ford Ranger. We were able to get much bigger loads in the truck bed, no matter, though, we might need to make more trips, but we’ll get there some day. Down by the greenhouse we now have a pile lying about that should make for a 18 feet wall that is at least five or six feet high (depending on thickness), that is a nice piece of wall, if I do say so myself. Hah.

The basin wall is fully done…the structure at least. Sure, we’re going to need pour concrete yet, build a wall of natural rock against is, and water-proof the entire thing on the inside, but then it’s as good as done, hah.

The dogs are doing fine…a few more dry coughs occasionally, but otherwise starting to be a fully functional pack once more. Strong little critters, that’s a fact. I’ve gotta admit that it is a relief, ‘cause the hospital expenses were eating into our savings like mad.

But, time’s a-wasting, time to make pizza!

No comments: