Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Another one bites the dust.

Song of the day: “Mr Rock & Roll” by Amy MacDonald. Awesome song, so, Yay!

Okay, long couple of days, but I did get enough sleep, even though I forgot to take a painkiller last night. Sure, I didn’t sleep all that deep because of it, but the hours were enough at the very least.

So what’s been happening? Let me do a quick sum up because it is already four in the afternoon and I only just got home. Basically it feels I’ve been out a full 24 hours, even though, technically this is of course not the case. Instead there were eight hours in-between where I was home to pour some coffee down my throat, shower, hug the dogs, sleep and all those other necessities.

The paper route went fine. Big brother and I got to the city in time and we loaded up our load (actually came short this time, so we had to cheat a little, skimming some papers here and there off the bigger piles so we could make all the drops) before heading out. The shortage was, of course, due to the fact that we got the city with our steady route, meaning that we had to find some extra spots and basically cruise around a bit to earn the pay increase of ten bucks, hah.

The main dispatcher didn’t make a fuss about the increase, which was a relief. I always hear the most atrocious stories about money hassles. Phew. But anyway, the route went well, no big hiccups, except that while backing up out of our parking slot, some idiotic couple decided to pull up behind us. Nicked it with the corner of the Land Rover and after considerable debate, and while we were waiting for our insurance agent to pick up the phone, the couple huffed their annoyance and departed. Surprised me too, considering we had our papers out and everything. But then, considering they had come out of the blue and then started to throw up a fuss, I was kinda relieved.

After that things went off without a hitch (only took us fifteen minutes in total) and we did the route under seven hours. Considering we had the city with it, that wasn’t bad at all. My foot was a whiner again, by the way. Gawd, I should just beat the stupid thing for complaining so much. Hah.

But anyway, I was in bed ‘round two in the morning, and up again in time to head on out for the village part of the route. This took about an hour as well, and then it was back to the city to talk to our insurance agent, ‘cause apparently our paperwork was out of date. Grrr. Nothing the matter, everything else was in order, so we headed further into town to get the Daewoo from the garage. The guy gave us an estimate of what needs to be done. The entire thing will set us back about 200 and since we have to be there anyway on the eighteenth, he’ll replace a valve on the Land Rover as well.

Yep, a busy couple of days. Feels like a week has passed, and that without giving a feeling of having achieved anything. I’ve gotta admit that hauling rock, sand and whatnot up and down the mountain all day is less exhausting. I did get to see the inside of an expensive pawnshop this time, by the way. Jeez, the security in that place was heavy…and added to that the guy working there asked if I came from Vermont. Now, I didn’t know where he got that one from until I remembered that I was wearing my Vermont Baseball cap. Hah.
The waiter at the Punjabi Palace and I now appear to have a standing joke. He asks: “Do I get commission?” I answer: “’Fraid not. I’d just have to find a new spot.”
*snort*

Other than that there is little new to report. People are either nice or grumpy, and the funny part is, that sometimes when you see someone really grumpy, you can flash them a grin and before they realize it, they’ll smile back. Seriously. It cracks me up to see the flash of surprise in their faces when they realize what they did. But by then it will be too late. Hah.
Of course the only appears to work with older generations. For some reason folks in their twenties and thirties don’t respond in this way at all. They just keep looking grumpy.
I wonder why that is. I mean, seriously, is a smile really too big an effort? Apparently for some it is.

There was a quick trip to that pawnshop I mentioned, and a trip to the supermarket, since grandpa didn’t have time for it because he had to go to the dentist again. We were on our way home with both cars when we came across him underway to the city. Perched on his moped wearing a leather jacket and going top speed. Cracks me up every time.

Well, I’m out of stuff to write about, so I’m going to leave it at this, and see if maybe I can head into the yard for a bit. I could sure use some relaxation down there.

No comments: