Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Untitled.

Song of the day: “Vision of you” by Belinda Carlisle. Gawd, that’s an oldie. I used to listen to it constantly in the early nineties, and it always reminds me of travelling across the Spanish countryside driving from one location to the next on our numerous travels. Those were the days! Seriously, there were times when the highway almost felt like home. Hah.

So, at the moment I’m sitting in the carport, tapping away at the keys while the rain is tapping on the roof. It is raining buckets, I tell ya. The water is streaming all over the place, and I decided to lock my dogs into my cabin rather than have them all wet to the bone. Poor darlings, they are balancing precariously between gratitude and total annoyance.

Well, let’s see what got done these past couple of days. There was gardening, of course…well, more like watering the plants just a bit, in anticipation of today’s downpour. Got to dress in layers again what with the temperatures rapidly dropping this past week or so.

The day before yesterday, several hours after my last blog, I was about to head down to the greenhouse to start putting in glass when I looked down at Knight II’s paw and noticed that there was a three inch gap of bleeding tissue on his right back paw. The eejit must have stepped into the glass at some point, so we dropped the evening’s plans and headed out to have him fixed at the vet’s.

First the vet gave him an intravenous shot of anaesthetic, which had him droop within ten minutes and then pass out. Turns out he is less heavy than I’d expected only 120 pounds, or so, which is almost lightweight for a Great Dane. He is not skinny, so it isn’t a problem really.

Anyway, we left him there and headed for town to get some supplies. Of course, by the time we were on the way back, the back tire of the Land Rover suddenly hissed and promptly deflated. We are really starting to get good at changing the tires (Gawd knows we’ve been getting lots of practise) ‘cause we did it under fifteen minutes and arrived at the vet’s only fifteen minutes late.

Knight II was already awake and waiting impatiently in the back room, literally looking a hole in the door until I arrived and the assistant let him out. Poor baby basically plastered himself to me as we paid (another friggin’ 120 bucks) talked about what to do next, and then headed out the door with Knight II rushing into the back of the car. It was as if his life depended on it, really. He spent the entire night lying on top of me. So much abandonment issues, the poor lug.

But anyway, Yesterday: besides the usual morning chores such as laundry, I went up to the bungalow to pick up tenant, so we could walk down to the greenhouse where big brother and I would work on putting in the first glass. Yay. She walked half the distance, proclaiming that she was a bit tired, so after walking halfway down, grandpa got her wheelchair and we drove her the rest of the way.
She thoroughly enjoyed the day in pleasant sunlight while I started putting in the glass panels.

It took me about one hour to put in one bay of glass panes. All but one were already cut, so while I was putting them up against the wooden structure, big brother went up to cut the last glass for the east side of the greenhouse. So strange to look at it now, even though only two walls are up, but where it was just bare bones first, there are the beginnings of an actual building. I know, I should be taking and posting pictures, but seeing as my phone overexposes everything, forces me to photoshop the lighting at the very least, preparing all those pictures actually takes more time than writing a couple of pages. *sigh*
I will, though.

When we worked our way through our supply of hardwood slats, we headed back upstairs, taking tenant along, and resumed sawing on the big sawing machine table. Got another twelve for the next round with putting in glass, and I am pretty excited about it, considering we’ll start with the roof.

Editing went rather well. Got another ten pages or so done…and I’ve gotta go now. Our friend Dani needs a pick up in the village due to the rain, so I better leave right now. Until Monday then…well, maybe. It will be a workday after all. Darn it!

No comments: