Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Dreams and such

Song of the day: “Don’t Cry for me Argentina” by Madonna. Seriously, it isn’t funny. I’ve had the friggin’ Evita movie in my head all day and I can’t get it out. It’s POing big brother, who absolutely hates that movie, but it just can’t be helped. It is there, and for the majority of the day it was there to stay. Hah.

So let me start with the bad news and bring you up to date on Touri. Yesterday morning, while we were hauling rocks down the mountain I noticed that not only has his limp returned (it was just going so well, darn it) he also had a slight swelling again. So, of course we dropped the day’s task (we had fully planned on planting more veggies, hauling more rocks and finishing big brother’s cabinet) and headed for the vet. She agreed that it was the same and would operate that very day. We could come to pick him up later that night where it turned out that she still isn’t sure what it is, but that she thinks it is cancer to the muscles, darn it!
Personally I think it is some sort of parasite, but the test will have to tell us what the problem is. There goes another 180 of savings, but really…what other choice is there?
I do admit that I don’t really want to hear that he’s got cancer. Seriously, I lost more than enough of my personal pack these past couple of years, I want a pass. Heck, I’m not even over Bommel yet.

Okay, I’m getting mushy, let’s change the routine a little again, because I had a beaut of a dream and I’ve gotta write it down. Here goes:

The beach. It stretches out endlessly on either side of me. In front, the ocean is a silver mirror, reflecting the sun’s light with an impressive pallet of color. Red, orange and pink slash across the distant horizon. The lavender sky a clear, cold contrast.
I stand there, my feet bare so my toes can curl in the cool sand. It feels wonderful, the grainy quality of it cushioning my feet on all sides. Water laps at them as well, but compared to the sand it means nothing.
Seagulls screech overhead, but they are not what holds my attention. There is a distant pounding, a rushing thud-thud, thud-thud, like a locomotive slowly, oh so slowly making its way up a steep incline. It is insistent, annoying almost, and it keeps me focused on the gleaming surface of the ocean.
As I stand there, gazing at the water, the lapping waves cease their teasing around my feet. In fact, it appears as if they are ceasing their approach entirely.
Thud-thud, thud-thud.
Gradually, quite to my surprise the water begins to withdraw, pulling away from my feet and showing a wealth of seashells, rounded piece of colorful glass and rocks on the exposed bottom.
“What is happening?” someone asks behind me, but I pay no heed to the crowd gathering on the beach. All eyes are on the receding ocean.
Thud-thud, thud-thud.
Beside me is Knight (old Knight, the Bobtail, mind you), along with Amri and both of them are pulling at their leashes, as they try to put more distance between them and the exposed bottom of the ocean.
Thud-thud, thud-thud.
There is a sense of urgency inside me, something powerful and insistent. While more and more people gather on the beach, I pick up my gladiator sandals (I hate those) and back away. Of to the right I know I parked the Ford (apparently it’s still there too) so I hurry towards it.
Behind me the lapping sound increases, thud-thud, thud-thud, faster and faster, until it suddenly turns into a louder, entirely new roaring sound. This one is almost deafening, but still, as the dogs drag me closer to the pick-up truck, I can hear startled outcries from the people behind me on the beach.
Though I want to glance back, the dogs won’t let me, and practically fault into the back of the truck.
I fumble for the keys and get into the car. Just seconds later I tear away from the curb, heading into the town and cursing my bad luck for the day’s rush hour. There are cars everywhere, seemingly congesting every single street I try to get out of the city.
Cars are revved, horns are honked and my progress is incredibly slow…in particular when right in front of me a gold colored Chevy crashes into the back of a bright green Opel Corsa. (I know, what are the odds, right? A gold Chevy. Seriously?)
Then I hear it, the roar that is now even audible over the honking horns and screaming engines. And while the man in the gold Chevy is threatening to pound on the driver of the Corsa, right there in front of me, in the shade of the gently swaying orange trees, I see the cause of the sound.
Through my rearview mirror, framed by a delicate black a massive wave crashes in-between the sea-view apartments that line the boulevard.
“Shit!” it is the only word that comes to mind as I scramble for the door handle and leave the keys in the ignition as I grab the leashes of the dogs and drag them with me.
Around me other people are starting to notice the water approaching, screaming and shouting rising higher as more cars, determined to flee, slam into each other all around me.
I start to run then, Knight and Amri close at my heels as I head north, uphill. The water continues to approach, taking with it the congested traffic and people alike.
“Go, go, go!” I shout at the dogs, my sneakers skidding on the macadam of the street as we dodge through parked cars mount the lopsided stairs that lead up to a higher section of the town.
We bound up the stairs, the dogs keeping track close at my heels, as behind me cars get pushed into the façade of the building on either side of me.
Loud crashes, breaking glass and even an orange tree catapulting right past me, hurry us on. The water is just a few feet behind us, little splatters of it pelting my calves.
We’re not going to make it, I am sure of it as I approach the train rails, bridged across residential streets. The dogs are right with me, their tongues lolling as a freight train approaches from the right.
I hesitate for only a moment when it comes rumbling past, I leap across the rails. I grab hold of a handle, and climb aboard, the dogs (somehow, don’t ask me how) join me on top of the roof.
As I look back, I can see the massive wave crash and curve through the town’s streets, approaching still, even as the train continues on its way out, heading up the mountainous area beyond.
I am just about to utter a sigh of relief when a sudden roar up ahead, along with a fierce shiver that almost threw me off my feet. I spun on my heel, just barely in time to see another massive wave crash straight into the front of the train.
Wagons are already derailing, their creaking metal and screeching brakes joining the rushing water I grab hold of the wagon’s top and feel the world tilt beneath my feet.
I scream, but no sound comes out as the wagon derails and topples to the side. I manage to jump clear just barely in time and then scramble further up the rocky incline on which I landed.
“Knight, Amri!” the dogs appear on either side of me as if out of thin air, and together we make it up the incline. My feet are slipping on the loose rubble and rock, and behind me the water continues to roll upwards, chasing me, or so it feels. I can actually feel it lap at my heel when large hand from above grabs me by the wrist and drags me up the last bit.
Stretched out on the ground, Knight and Amri wiggling their buts enthusiastically at my savior, I turn around to squint up at his sun-framed face. “Jeez, you took you time. Where the hell were you?”
“Sorry, Sam. I got caught up. You okay?”
“Yeah. Sorta, anyway.”

Which was about the time I woke up and blinked up at my ceiling. I gotta admit was breathless and slightly miffed about waking up before knowing who actually rescued me. I hate it when I wake up too soon. It gives me a sense of unresolved issues, darn it.

But anyway, today was a mix of things. First of all big brother’s cabinets, which are almost completely done and in place. Secondly, planting new cauliflower plants, and thirdly going for a jog.

Seriously, it’s been ages, and I loved it. Knight II did too, by the way, even though he will of course deny it. I’m a bit embarrassed to admit it, but while I go full out at a run, he’ll be trotting right at my side, taking the time to take in the scenery. The only time he went in running mode was when big brother distracted him enough for me to get a head start. Hah. Boy, he has a gorgeous run, I tell ya.

Well, I still have an edit to do, of course. Almost done with A.I.L. If all goes well we should be able to send the letter and synopsis out ‘round Monday, so yay.

Gotta go.

No comments: