Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Flashdance

Song of the day: “Who makes you feel” by Dido. I don’t know why, but it was one of the first songs that played this morning, and it has stuck ever since. Luckily, it’s a good song.

First: Success! I mean it. Dani’s birthday is close at hand and I decided to surprise her with apple/pear pie and ended up experimenting with the leftovers. Suffice it to say, the experiment was absolutely delish! Heck, even big brother liked it, and he is NOT a cake type of person. Imagine pears, apples, apricot jelly, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, sugar and fresh cream all mixed together with cornflakes. OMG. I could have eaten the entire dish…and almost did. But the pie was good too, and Dani like apple pie a lot, so, Yay! All round.

Okay, back to normal stuff, because let’s face it I am a bit nauseous at the moment from all that sweetness. Hah.

Yesterday: Right. Well, we did go through the yard, which is more or less a habit big brother and I developed this past year or two, if for no other reason than to check the veggie plants. Everything is doing pretty good, what with the continuing week of horror, weather wise. *sigh*
And though we are not able to fill the basin with the miserly rain that is going on, the next best thing IS happening: we don’t need to water the plants either. Hah.

What else. Well, there were rocks to unload, of course, but what with the humongous ones that we’ve been getting this past week or two, we have decided to make time for a little break in hauling new ones down. The ol’ body is whining about the constant strain, the knees protest against simple squatting, and I really do not want to discus my friggin’ foot at the moment. Do you know the sensation of burning yourself on a match, or a cigarette? Now tenfold that, and apply it to the edge of your entire heel. Grrrr. I am still glad that it no longer feels like I’m walking on glass, though.

Knight II had another little mishap, the idiot! He slipped out of the office, all enthusiastic like, and then little brother’s and sister’s black Labradors came out to make a hassle. Mati, the most forward of the two, got hold of Knight’s paw somehow, and didn’t let go until Knight grabbed the heavy lab by the neck and tossed him away (reminded me of a lion somehow) before running towards me with a bleeding paw and headed up to the cabin.

He bled quite a bit, and I was worried for a bit that an artery had been hit, but then I managed to stem the bleeding with bandage, and tied the whole lot up. He’s been a real sissy about it, too, what with shivering, and looking all miserable whenever I check on him, and then still being his barky self whenever someone dares to do something he doesn’t like,

Changed his bandages this morning (am using a cut of sock to keep the lot in place) and it looks fine. Tomorrow, of the day after I am just going to let the air to it, and only clean it regularly. Let’s hope that he doesn’t develop an infection this time, because I really would rather not use antibiotics. He looks like he’s playing a part n Flashdance, by the way. You know what I mean, right? The floppy dance socks without toes? Cracks me up just looking at it.

Ooh, still nauseous. Hah.

We did work on the wall some more, despite the bad weather. Got the foundation of the main upper wall in, and it is pretty solid, I would say. Hah. About a foot thick in the narrowest place and offering for a nice 7 to 8 feet terrace in front of the house once we’re done. My muscles are not agreeing to that all that much, but it has to be done, of course.

There was a wee bit of excitement yesterday afternoon too, what with Tadaika managing to get over the fence (or under it, we are not sure what) somehow. In fact she was the reason we had first contact with out English neighbors, which wasn’t a bad thing, considering we never really had a reason to talk. She seemed nice enough, and luckily, Tadaika didn’t appear to have done any damage. Phew. It was a bitch getting her back over the fence, though. She’s fat. Hah.

The majority of today was spent unloading the car, baking pie, and trimming the big mimosa in the middle of the property (it appears to have gotten the same disease as the one we lost last year). It looks horrible now, but with a little luck, the new growth will have a shot at making it now. If not, we might be forced to take her out and put something else there, darn it. Now all we need to do is haul the massive pile of wood away from the main path.

Edits are going slow again, but no matter, we’re sloshing our way through regardless. The query letter is done (printed and everything) and should go out sometime next week…we’ve got Semana Santa ‘round here, which means that everything shuts down at the drop of a hat. No use in sending anything out before all the celebratory stuff is over. Hah.

Little Djoti’s (sister’s cocker spaniel) operation went fine, by the way. It was a minor operation really, but of course cost more than a hundred bucks. *sigh* Hard to say no to having a loved one saved, eh?

Well, that is about all I can think of at the moment. I’m sure there is more, but my brain is showing signs of leakage once more. And since I’m still nauseous from the pie, I think I might need a nap. Hah.

No comments: