Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Up and down

Song of the day: “One hand in my pocket” by Alanis Morissette. It’s been a while since I heard this one so I’m not entirely sure where it came from.

The past couple of days…Gawd I better hurry writing this down, because even as I writ this brain cells are disintegrating, darn it.

Let me think for a minute here. I know it is hard, but I will persevere, darn it.

Yesterday! What the heck did we do yesterday? Right. The rain drain in front of the house. Phew. It hasn’t disintegrated from my memory banks yet, thankfully. Hah. But anyway, what with the slight possibility of rain in the near future, we decided to get to the chore of putting gutters under the roof of the front of the house, in hopes of catching as much water as we possibly can. It ain’t done yet, seeing as big brother and grandpa only got as far (I was supplier for the majority of the morning, hauling butt up and down the mountain) as the gutter, and not the drainage tubes that are supposed to transport water to the basin.

Since I was pretty fed up with being supplier, I did a quick tour of the messages, some edits--and a quick nap--and then decided to do rock hauling instead. Seriously. I rather haul rock in wheelbarrows (did about fifteen big ones) than stand there, waiting to fetch something. It is necessary, however, and if they had needed anything, they would have asked, of course. But they managed, and I got my daily dose of exercise by doubling up and down the mountain.
Gonna need to do a lot more of that in the near future, so it’s a good thing I don’t mind. Hah.

Dani has been spending quite a bit of time here of late, meaning that we’ve got help doing this stuff. She volunteered hauling sand down so we can continue with the wall asap…another thing she wants to learn. She is starting to get better at picking the right rocks. Which reminds me; the first section of the wall is done. About five yards long and five feet high, I would say.
Sure, there is still a lot of wall to be built, but it is always awesome when something is done.

Afterwards I headed into the yard to water plants, which was regretfully necessary since there was not a drop of the expected rain, darn it. Everything is growing nicely, though. Tomatoes are forming rapidly, and last year pepper plants blithely started on round two. Hah.

So there were bricks to haul, more edits to do and chores to see to, but what the heck, that about sums up yesterday, meaning we have arrived to today, where I got a whopping eight hours of sleep because I was so friggin’ tired last night and went to bed early. Yay!!!

But anyway, I was properly rested this morning what with the extra hour or two, and got down to business right after the laundry. (I know, boring, but it’s still there, of course.) There was a quick breakfast, along with making cream cheese, and then it was out into the chilly day. For some reason the weather is acting weird again these days. There are clouds all over the place and the eastern wind is almost freezing cold.

While big brother and grandpa continued on with the gutter and the draining system, Dani and I got to work on digging holes for the small fence that’s going to be around the berry bushes. Got seven poles in, and what with the slats on them, it is really starting to look like something…even though it isn’t finished yet, seeing as I was two poles and four slats short. Guess we calculated something wrong. No matter though. Grandpa will make more of them in the near future.
It looks good, in case you’re wondering, and it’s another thing that I’ll have to post a picture of. Hah.

What else? Well, edits of course, and more edits, and reading the query letter again for some more polishing, and so on and on.

The dogs are adjusting well to the losses in my pack, thankfully. Though Labhana appears to still be somewhat down, there are moments when she wags her tail again, so she should be fine again in the near future.

My new bed is working out nicely. Part of the drawers are full already, and the height of the whole thing is great. No more crawling out of bed, but rolling out again instead. Perfect.

So that’s it for today. Got stuff to do still, and I really have to think of something to eat ‘cause I’m friggin’ starving. Aaargh.

No comments: