Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Goobye to a friend.

Song of the day: “Mr. Sandman” by...I’m not entirely sure. The one that goes through my mind is the one sung by that girl in “Cry Baby” with Johnny Depp.

As usual, I’m running way behind, but who’s counting...well, I am, but what the heck. Can’t change that now.

Edit-wise things are going well. The in-between project is halfway done, making it a bit of rush job since this burst of inspiration is bound to be over soon. Almost done, though, so I take comfort in that. The fun part is that I've been able to ad a whole scene...which ended up being too long for the required word count. It means that I'm going to have to scratch over five hundred words, darn it. But I might be able to hold it up until it’s completely done. The research on itself has been tremendous fun, in particular because I don’t often visit the nineteen twenties in my head.
And yes, this was a story based on a dream, so if you’re ever interested in it, you’ll have to read it some time. Hmmm. Maybe I’ll post the original version some time.

So what’s been going on these days past. On the most part yard stuff, which is great since, even though there has been a bit of rain in the mornings, the weather has been really good for it. Over the course of three days we’ve been working on the lowest section of the yard, digging through years of biological debris to find wonderfully usable humus. With the use of multiple Eucalypti tree trunks we have created a total eight small terraces that will soon be holding this year’s produce. It amazes me that with every addiction the yard appears to be getting bigger and yes, I will soon post more pictures of it.

Which reminds me, due to too much growth over the past few years, we also had to cut of several eucalypti (and alter dig out the roots. Yikes!) which we thankfully used in the project. What with the new terraces going, we’ve been gradually planting melons, pumpkins and some more peppers and tomatoes. Yesterday and the today was also used to take out our first harvest of potatoes, which had been bothered considerable by a well-known potato disease that ate their leaves. Still, despite that, the harvest was good, I think that the total (once we have it all out. Now we’re halfway through) we’ll have about three crates full.

The nicest part about it all is the teeny baby potatoes that came from the plants. Cutting them in half and baking them raw in herbs, onion and butter is absolutely delicious. We’ve already had two meals from it and another one coming. Same goes for the cabbages, which are huge. One cabbage will take us through two meals, for crying out loud.

There were some trips to town, including Grocery shopping day which was particularly harrowing because we had to visit three more stores than usual. Tenant needed some things, so there we went. *sigh* Other than that nothing really interesting happened during the most dreaded day of the month, so let’s leave it at this, eh.

Bad news of the week is that Bakti, little brother’s oldest and (I think) dearest dog died today. He was old, we got him at four months old some odd thirteen years ago, and he was the replacement of Bakti one who’d been with little brother since he was a little boy. A sad day, to say the least. Such an old and familiar companion gone. He was good dog, calm, patient and never had a single sick day in his life until just a few months ago when age caught up with him. Always hard to say goodbye to a good friend, but such is life. Right?

Okay, let’s not dwell on the bad stuff. If we did, we’d be “dwelling” every single day and not get anything done, darn it. There was (of course) laundry to do, weeds to pull and meals to be made...all in a day’s work, naturally. Along with watering the newly sowed seeds and transplanted seedlings.

This morning, seeing as we had to head out into the yard for watering anyway, we worked on the wall again. Got a good section going, in fact, and big brother has got the new stairs between them up to three steps now. Things are starting to look pretty darn good, if you must know. Tomorrow, or soon anyway, I’m going to have to start digging the foundation for what, in the near future, will be the septic tank. This means that before I can start with the digging, grandpa and I are also going to need to start hauling down concrete slabs for that particular wall, which is going to be...hmmm...interesting I hope. Hah. Whatever it is going to be, it will be good exercise, eh? Hah.
I do have to admit to feeling a bit daunted by the prospect of lifting a hundred or so of those 60 pound slabs again, but what the hey. It’ll be good for my biceps.

Am reading a particularly frustrating book at the moment. I am not liking the characters at all, and there are seriously moments that I want to rip the book apart, or throttle the lead with my bare hands. I would review it, but it would be way too mean to share that with anyone, seeing as it is just personal taste anyway.

Well, that’s about all my brain can come up with, so I’m going to leave it at this, if you don’t mind.

No comments: