Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Monday, May 23, 2011

New pack member

Song of the day: “The Chiquita Banana song”, you know, of the commercial? I’m a Chiquita Banana and I’m here to stay...blah, blah, blah. Very annoying to have in your head. Just to mess with your head I should post it here so you can enjoy it with me. But I’m not that cruel, so I’ll just suffer on my own until a new song takes its place...knowing my luck that will be ‘round next month by the time I’m screaming mad from this one, and wearing a straight jacket. *sigh*

So what have I been up to? Your guess is as good as mine. Hah. Seriously though, I’m thinking here. Well, on the most part there was gardening, of course, seeing as we’re heading into summer there’s a lot of that going on most any day. Weeds are there to be plucked out, water needs to be given, and plants need to be pruned and checked. Yep, ecological farming takes a lot of work in that regard, ya gotta pluck them weeds, rub off those lice, and remove molds, bugs, and disease rather than spray chemical stuff to do it for you.

I’ve gotta admit that sometimes I wonder what is worse about store bought veggies. The stuff that IS in it, or the stuff that is NOT. I mean, think about it. Iceberg slaw floats on water with fertilizer, for crying out loud. Sure it is nice and clean, but what’s a little extra protein (bugs and whatnot) compared to stuff that you could use as carpet cleaner? Hah. Hmmm. Do I sound like a tree hugger?
I don’t mean to, I’m just trying to be sensible about this sort of thing, in particular since grandpa (farmer, remember) studied this kind of stuff for years for his crops, used it liberally too, and fully knows how dangerous it really is.

Okay, what else? Oh, right. I dug seven big holes last night for the wooden structure that’s in the plans for our raspberries and brambles. There will be an L-shaped pergola like thing that will support the vines as they start on their way to adulthood, so to speak. So now we’re eight poles further (big brother dug one hole, hah) for which grandpa is going to fix up the slats in the near future. We do still have to plant two brambles for the construction yet. But then, oh my, can you imagine walking through that L-shaped tunnel with brambles and pink and yellow raspberries? I can. Heck, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Hmmm. I also did a nap yesterday. I was so friggin’ tired I could barely keep my eyes open while working on the computer. Still, we managed quite a bit of work on it, bringing the in-between project another step closer to completion, yay.

Tenant hit another milestone today. We walked over her little courtyard without the aid of her cane. I mean seriously, though I held her bad hand, more for balance than actual support, she went the distance twice, not doing bad at all, even though she would of course disagree. She thought she was moving ungainly, but like I told her, for someone who couldn’t even walk at all just two years ago, she was moving perfectly. Hah. It requires practice, is all. Another good thing is, we are practicing her dexterity and working on getting her able to touch her toes while she stands. We’re getting there.

On to the dog news. What with little brother losing his Bakti the other day, we now have a new member in the pack. An abandoned black and white (6-8 week old) pup, named Bakti III as of today, from the local animal shelter. He’s adorable, he’s tiny and the dogs were fascinated when little brother brought him home this morning. Seriously, he’ll fit fine in the pack that knows how to welcome pups in their midst like old pros. It will be fascinating to see which old-stagger is going to jump in the breech for babysitting. One usually becomes most prominent in that.

Been doing a lot of research into Irish legends again, what with the Brendan (ATOL sequel) story going through my head, and am definitely leaning towards trying to fit in a banshee or two. The first meeting is going to be absolutely hilarious.

There was some cooking involved this morning, of course. Seeing as tenant’s caregiver was out to her other job, I took the opportunity (after morning exercises) to cook a lentil lunch for us. Seeing as later today we’re heading for Malaga with the Land Rover...oh, I had I mentioned that yet? Well, there appears to be a problem with the low gear stick, so we’re taking her over to the garage to see if the the problem can be fixed without me having to sell my kidney, or something, to pay it.

Well, gotta go, so much more to do today...though if the car is going to be out of commission for a bit (likely, since repairs always take so much time) I’m going to have some time on my hands in the evenings. Hah.

No comments: