Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Rocks and sand

Song of the day: “Step by step” by Whitney Houston, of course. Big brother has been playing it since yesterday, so it goes without saying that it gets stuck in my head. Hah.

The day started a little earlier than usual yesterday. Thorgal III had to go to the vet to have his drains removed, and since we had to go anyway I decided to take Gada as well. Her walking is getting to be more difficult every day, and though I suspect that it was arthritis and there wasn’t a lot the vet could do, I decided to have her checked anyway.

Thorgal was doing fine, and the vet told us to keep an eye on his cuts, but other than that it is just business as usual. Gada on the other hand…you should have seen the vet’s face when she tested The Labrador’s hips. It wasn’t good. She explained that if she were to make an X-ray, we would see that probably the majority of the bone would be degraded. Poor Gada. For now, she’s on Prednison, which is not going to make her better, but which will numb the pain some, and when I notice that she isn’t enjoying herself anymore, the vet basically let it be known I should start thinking of putting her out of her misery.

I gotta admit that I’m not ready yet, though I know that it is mean towards Gada who must be going through some serious discomfort these days. But Touri and Mosha are still rather fresh and if she’s gone too, that means I’m down to Amri, Knight II, Chaos, Dax, Labhana (who’s not responding well to the massive losses of my personal pack. She gets depressed) and Sitabah. That’s six dogs, which is a measly amount from what I’m used to. Darn it, I used to have thirteen and that was just five years or so ago. Added to that Amri is not doing all that well, age catching up with him as well (at least ten years of age) so I fear that around this time come spring I’ll be down to five. Grrrr. Age and sickness are horrible things, that I have to admit.

Right. Thoughts like that depress me, so let’s move it along before I start bawling my eyes out.

Oh, yeah. I’ve been experimenting with green soap for the laundry, and so far it’s been going rather well. If stuff keeps getting clean, I think I’m going to keep using it. That way we could connect the washing machine to the basin and use the water for the yard, which would be, like, totally awesome.

After breakfast I hauled the cement mixer up for Grandpa. He did help, and tried to stay in the lead at first, but he hasn’t recovered that much yet, so he left the heavy stuff to me while adding his weight to getting the thing up the mountain. I am rather pleased with the concrete path. It made the hauling that much easier. I remember last year being a total pain when we had to get the machine either way.

While grandpa and big brother got to work on pouring concrete for the parking spot of the new moped, Ox and I began hauling rocks down the mountain. Only managed about 10 wheelbarrows myself, but since we filled most of the small ledge in front of the house, it should do well enough once we decide adding to the wall again. I think that, not counting the extra half foot that will be part of the balustrade, it will be enough to finish the wall in its entirety. Yay!

By the time I was done for the day, big brother and I went out to get a new batch of sand (standard procedure after using one for concrete or masonry, of course) and then took Knight II out for a nice long walk. He liked it too, gallivanting around as if he wasn’t scared out of his mind. Hah. Seriously, though, he did well despite the fact that the rough earth patch we came across smelled like wild boar. He didn’t like that, poor fella.

Once we got home I quickly cooked supper involving the lupine slices that baked rather wonderfully in butter. It was a nicely meaty substance for sure, not to mention rather filling.

That done, and wishing I had time for a nap we did edits for the remainder of the evening. At the end of it, I did some reading on the Falkland Islands, just because, and then we watched an episode of “Castle” in Spanish. If I didn’t know better, I’d think Fillion was on Cortisone.

I also started reading Jack Vance’s “Demon Princes”. Funny thing is, folks don’t write like that anymore, and what a shame that is. Seriously. The best way to read Vance is out loud, that way you also get the chance to practice you upper class English pronunciation. In particular the excerpts, which would otherwise be absolutely boring. Hah.

What with a temperature drop to no less than forty degrees, I was a tad restless during the night…if for no other reason than the fact that Knight II was so cold that he refused to lie anywhere except firmly against my back. My back did not agree with this, but lost the battle many times over. *sigh* Suffice it to say I was a mite stiff and sore when I did the laundry this morning.

No matter, though, it was time to get started so I tried a new experiment for patty dough. This time a chickpea pumpkin dough, which would work as a perfect substitute for meat since it has such a high protein value. Ah well, we’ll see how that works.

Next it was time to maneuver the car into the old horse paddock and unload yesterday’s load of sand. What followed that rather quick session, was loading it back up again because Dani had offered to the take our pile of old metal to town and sell it at the local “old metal scrap yard” Went well enough. Got more or less what we expected and that was nice.

Time to head into the yard. The greenhouse could be opened, and the seedbed needed water. After doing that, I focused on the tomato plants to remove miners and caterpillars alike. In this case there were a lot of the first, while after I went down into the yard to check cabbage, cauliflower and kale, the latter were all over the plants. Buggers. Those little bastards will eat a whole plant in a day if I let them. *sigh*

Afterwards we worked in the carport a bit, trying to take big brother’s computer apart. It all went well, but in the end we didn’t manage to fix the problem at hand, meaning that it was all for nothing, if it weren’t for the fact that we know a little more about computers again. Hah.
While we were working on this, grandpa worked on taking apart the Honda for spare parts. This is turning out to be not as easy a task as you would imagine. Turns out a moped is complicated too. Hehe.

Next, after crawling over the floor for about half an hour to find (and failing) to find the screws big brother lost due to a picky dog, it was time I headed up to start on supper. The burgers worked out splendidly too filling the stomachs and all that. Hah.

Well, that should do it. I’m outa here

No comments: