Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Here and there

Song of the day: “Dirty Dancer” by Enrique, Usher and Li’ll Wayne.

So it was a most peculiar birthday, I’ll admit. I started the day by sleeping in for about half an hour, which was absolutely awesome. I love sleeping, I would do it all day long if I could…but seriously, who’s got the time for frivolous things such as sleep. So much to see, place to go and…well, you know the saying, right? *sigh*
But anyway, I debated doing a workout and then finally opted not to since I had that appointment at the doctor’s.

I was there right on the dot (poor assistants were sitting there packed in several layers because it was friggin’ ass cold in there) and was let into the exam room where this nice young girl doctor, (who actually spoke a wee bit of English, yay) let me sit down on a weird chair with my bare feet up so she could look at them.

After some chatting, some prodding, and then an examination of my “archaic” insoles (I got them a year and a half ago for crying out loud) at which point she informed me that I should come back on the 23rd because she didn’t have the equipment to measure my feet right then (last time the podiatrist let me stand on a piece of paper and made a drawing, hah). But she was nice about it, so I didn’t mind. Made it back home before noon, at which time I took to finishing the cake. Still had to put fruit on top, and the Jell-O kind of substance to pour over it. Opted to make that final ingredient on a mango basis, and boy did that work out well. Ended up with two cheese/yogurt forest fruit, strawberry, raspberry, peach, mango and cream pie. Gawd. It made me salivate, and the cookie bottom…divine! It was a huge success.

Went into the yard after finishing the pie (it had to settle in the fridge) and later cousin Ed joined me to plant more than forty little seedlings. This nippy weather (an average of 45 degrees in the morning) is really appreciated by these winter veggies. They’re growing like cabbages…oh wait, they are cabbages, or at least of that family. Hah.

It was nice, despite the air being nippy. The sun broke out occasionally, and due to the strong winds these days, we had to water most of the new plants with the basin. Poor plants should be enjoying the rain and yet we’ve been having a remarkably dry December and January. Weird, to say the least. Let’s hope that we’re not going to get a five-year drought, like fifteen years ago.

Big brother was busy with his computer most of the day, it was constantly crashing so he decided to take everything off, and reinstall the main operating system. This, as you might understand took some time.

Since there wasn’t a lot to do outside, (not to mention nippy) I fully intended to work in my cabin…only to have to go out again to bring Sally to work. Cousin Ed had planned to, but she was helping tenant preparing for dinner, so I offered to go in her stead. Dropped Sally off and then returned to dig through my closet and getting rid of clothes that had too many rips in them, spots, dirt, and were too small. I was about to
Start on the last shelve when big brother came in, looking a little wide-eyed and flushed.

Big brother: Well, now the computer is wrecked.
Me: What do you mean? (folding a top and putting it in my closet)
Big brother: I got everything off and was in the middle of installation when the effing thing shut down again.
Me: So?
Big brother: So now the computer says it doesn’t know itself anymore.
Me: Shit. Maybe we should get it to a shrink.
Big brother: Funny. Seriously, though. I tried everything.
Me: So call the local computer doctor, he’s in the paper.
Big brother: Hmmm.
Me: Dude. You just bought a new wire, and a new battery, that’s more than two hundred bucks.
Big brother: Effing stupid thing.
Me: Dude. Seriously, get the paper.
Big brother: Have you seen the computer; the screen doesn’t close, the keys sometimes don’t work, the…
Me: Call anyway. Maybe it’s a simple problem.
Big brother: So what? Why not go there now?
Me: Because I want to call to make sure that they’re even open.
Big brother: Oh. It’s only six. I rather just go by.
Me (eying him): Get the friggin’ paper and I’ll cal, for crying out loud!
Big brother: Yeah. Right. Which one…

So I told him, and called the computer doctor who was friendly enough to let me know that they’d be open ‘till seven thirty.
Getting underway took a bit. There were the piles of clothes that I had to toss someplace else than the bed, warm clothes to don, only to hear that mom was really concerned about little sister who’d been feeling poorly most of the day.
We talked for a bit about possible assistance, and then opted to wait it out while big brother and I left for town to drop off the computer.

Got that with fifteen minutes to spare, and yet all was dark when we arrived. I decided to call anyway and got the “doctor” on the line who said that they’d given up on me, and returned within five minutes. Hah. There was talk for about fifteen minutes, while we explained the problem (he wasn’t hopeful due to the computer’s age and the amount of trouble it was experiencing…has anyone noticed how computer repairmen never like repairing computers. It is very strange). He was going to try, though, and promised to let us know the verdict around Friday. Definitely hoping for the repairs to be under 200, because otherwise we’re going to have to dig into the savings again.

By the time we got home I was seriously sick and tired from being on the road most of the day, and was more than happy to dig into the meal cousin Ed had prepared, prior to heading for my computer and start on the day’s edit.

Got a nice bit done, but was more than happy to call it a day, I tell ya.

Which brings us to today, yay!

Was a little late getting up this morning (did you ever notice how much harder it is to get out of bed when the air is almost frosty) but did manage a full workout. Hah. Victory! Took a little longer than usual because we got into a heated discussion about politics and such. What can I say; we get passionate about that sort of thing. Cousin Ed joined us of course, so it was a lively debate to say the least.

After workout there was a massive pile of laundry, followed by a trip down to the yard to water the small seedbed, and check the greenhouse, and get a batch of chickweed and Alfa Alfa for mom’s salad. Decided to throw in some fresh herbs as well, since I was down there anyway.

Went up for breakfast, chatting with tenant a little, and next it was back to my cabin to finish what I’d started the day before. Chaos was still on the bed by that time, and I said: “Oh my gawd, Chaos. Are you still lazing in the bed?” He raised his head sluggishly, blinked at me twice and then nestled his cheek into the pillows with a visible snuggle of delight. Seriously, the Basset has no shame when it concerns sleeping (his favorite pastime). I dragged him to the edge of the bed and set him down where he grumpily moved past Knight II and Labhana who were watching him questioningly.

We carried up a new storage chest of plastic up to the old horse stable. This will be the spot to store wicker baskets and pillows until summer at least. It cleared up the storage a little, which made grandpa happy at least. Hah.

Big brother, still chagrined about his computer, worked in the moped stall for the most part, putting in two small shelving units. At this time I sewed the broken pillows of my armchairs, which I’d been planning to do for more than a week and yet somehow didn’t get around to.

That done, a second piece of pie eaten (yummy), I went to search for a piece of roof to finish the small closet section that we plan to attach to the side of the moped stall. Used the small angle grinder to cut it to the right size…and then it was time to call it a day (work-wise), and start on supper before getting on with the blog and the edit that I still need to do.

I’m thinking that I won’t mind an early bedtime tonight. Hah.

No comments: