Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Friday, January 13, 2012

Hunting party. Hah

Song of the day: “I like how it feels” by Enrique Iglesias. Another cute song by this particular artist. Very catchy, albeit a little less profound than his older work. Ah well, not everything can be profound, I guess.

A strange couple of days really. I can’t really explain how, it was just weird. Maybe I should explain, but I don’t really feel like it. Besides, I wouldn’t know how to explain anyway. I’ll stick to the facts and leave you to guess for a change.

First off, we got the new washing machine delivered yesterday. Finally! Due to the repair dude never showing up in the past five weeks, a new policy started, meaning that we could either get a new (the same) machine, or another one where we paid the difference. Decided to do a better brand (Samsung) and paid for a difference of 120 bucks, rather than risk a third Daewoo washer in two years. Seriously, we’ve had nothing but trouble with the latter.
Let’s hope the Samsung does better.

So the guys delivered it in the morning, and for some reason it was a busy morning visitors wise. First a friend of mom’s whose dogs will be staying with us for about a week, next week. While she was inside, the delivery truck arrived, and while cousin Ed and I went up there to deal with them a small dog came trotting down our drive sweep.

I picked the little feller up, rather than risk him getting under the truck, and heard someone shouting from up the mountain. There was a lady waving there, and calling out that she’d be there in a minute. Cousin Ed was still dealing with the repair dudes when a black car came down the incline and walked towards it with the small curly dog under my arm. Turns out the lady was all surprised that I’d picked it up, because usually it doesn’t allow anyone to do so. Ah well, good thing I didn’t know that up front. Hah.

Chatted with the English lady for a bit, and then, as she drove off, returned to cousin Ed and the delivery dudes. They unloaded the new machine, loaded the old, and had me sign half a million papers before they were off and we could admire the new machine.
We took it down, added the usual protection (grating at the bottom) against rodents and such (they do love the noisy dark spots for some reason) and then wheeled the thing down the mountain towards its spot in the courtyard wash corner.
I was pleasantly surprised that we didn’t hear a thing from the engine when we started it up. Guess the quiet drive text on the front of the machine wasn’t for show. Hah.

Spent some time in the yard gathering borecole for dinner, and some broccoli because mom was really in the mood for it. When I offered the borecole to little brother, he pulled such a face that I almost laughed. Little brother is not a cabbage fan.

Finished the last of my birthday pie in the afternoon, spent some time with tenant who prepared the potatoes for dinner and helped me rip the borecole.

Did a sand fetching trip (followed by a walk with Knight II) and headed into the village to get Gada’s prescription for prednison at the vet’s. Also some supplies for mom at the sewing shop, and a quick stop at the ferreteria where I needed to get a light bulb for a sewing machine.

Did some more work on the moped shed (I still haven’t found the right descriptive word for this spot) did a spot of cleaning and spent the majority of the afternoon and evening working on checking the plot of V.L. We have momentarily suspended the edit in order to check details that really have to be correct for a suspense story like this.

Did a workout this morning, which might not have been the smartest idea since later today, in the afternoon we went to town and decided to do a jog past the boulevard with Knight II, and cousin Ed with her own dog. The dogs sure liked it, and I really noticed that I hadn’t done that for more than six months. Jeez. Of course my foot totally didn’t agree with that, but what the heck, I ran! (and so did Knight II) Yay.

This morning after the usual chores, we spent several hours in the yard. First of all we took out the last harvest of potatoes, which amounted to a total of two full 40 pound bags (all together that is). They’re looking splendid too. I took the opportunity to roast them in the woodstove just an hour ago. They were grand!

That done we watered what needed watering and sowed Alfa alfa and red beets in the lower yard. It was nice too, considering the sun broke out every now and again. We even harvested a late pumpkin and some tomatoes.

On the good news part, the computer doctor called and told us that they could repair big brother’s Mac by installing some replacement parts. This of course had big brother ecstatic, since he wasn’t looking forward to having to break in a new computer. So, for the price of a new computer, his old one will work again (knock on wood, cross my fingers) sometime next week.

We had to take the dogfood from storage again, and came upon a nest of mice (they’ve been breeding like rabbits the little bastards) underneath thirty bags and loads of droppings. Arthur finished one off, and was walking around proud as a peacock while Sitabah and Fortuyn were eying him like ostriches (“what’s that? What have you got there? Can I eat that? Is it a rock?”). There’re a whole lot of possibilities, but still ostriches are the best description. Little Dax took care of the baby mice, and Tadaika had a blast getting rid of all the spilt kibble (she’s like a doggy vacuum cleaner, for crying out loud).

While we went out for a visit to the phone shop and our insurance agent grandpa put in a tile threshold in the dog kibble storage, and hopefully that will keep the rodents out in the future.

There was soup (made with the help of tenant) which went down rather nicely, all things considered. I am going to try out a new recipe for red-bean patties. I found a pot of those, and am more than curious.

That done, and some last minute groceries tossed in the car, we headed for the boulevard and ran for about forty minutes. I think I’ll be sleeping really nicely tonight.

Well, I’m going to leave it at this, I’m sure I’m missing stuff, but what the heck, you’ll just have to fill in the blanks yourself.

No comments: