Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

A tad nippy

Song of the day: “I hope you dance” by Leann Womack. Whenever I hear it, I keep thinking that it’s Dolly Parton, but there you have it. Gorgeous song, and it has been in my head more often, if memory serves me right.

First of all, it has been effing cold. I know, compared to the northern parts of Europe our measly 30 degrees (they’re having zero, thank you very much) is nothing, but still, I have become a worshipper of warmth, and these freezing temps are not my thing. Makes me want to crawl into bed an hibernate until the summer returns. *sigh*

No matter, though, life as we know it continues, and stuff needs to be done. I had fully planned to dig under the storage under my bed yesterday, getting out my winter sweaters, but for some reason didn’t get around to it. First off I headed down into the yard for some harvesting. I had hoped that the cold wouldn’t be as prominent there (it often is, due to it being behind the ridge of the mountain) but was disappointed after I checked up on the greenhouse (I took as long as possible in there, hah). The wind was coming from the west, so it blasted me full force while he checked everything and then quickly headed up.

There were chickpea patties for breakfast, both today and yesterday. There was no bread, so we had to make due. Didn’t work bad either with a slice of cheese on it, and a pancake to take care of the morning sugar craving. Yay. Since the below freezing temperatures weren’t doing anything for our productivity, big brother and I decided to get our computers and get to work on the edit, rather than try to brave the cold. We lit up the stove (the dogs loved that. It took them five seconds flat to come inside and cluster around the heat) turned on the machines and got to work.

About three hours later we resurfaced, both of us mentally drained and ready for a break. Since we had to go out later in the afternoon we opted for a nap. Poor Chaos was freezing, so I took him under the blanket with me. He was still shivering then, but with the arrival of a sudden weight slinking its way between us, started to growl ferociously. A glance down showed Knight II, crawling on the bed with us, wedging himself higher and higher until I caved and threw the blanket over him as well. Thankfully that made him settle down real fast, about midway between Chaos and me. I dozed for a few minutes and then…another thump, followed by desperate scratching at my shoulder I growled and looked up in time to see Dax dive under the blankets and settle into the crook of my knees. Nice and toasty. I didn’t mind overly much. Another five minute doze later, thump, and Sitabah just barely missing my nose as she vaulted over Knight II, Chaos, and my head to settle on the pillow and curling herself around my skull like a hat. She was shivering like mad, and ended up sticking her head under the blanket by my shoulder and promptly falling asleep. I didn’t have the heart to smack her out of the way, so I ended up lying there sandwiched between the dogs, enjoying the warmth, rather than actually sleeping. Isn’t it weird that of my dogs the Labs are the only ones who are not bothered by the cold?

But anyway, my so-called nap done, it was out and about again, braving the cold to head on down into the yard to water the plants. This infernal western wind is simply devastating. Already we have lost several plants to the chilling cold.

Afterwards it was to town for us, picking up an order and a small donation to boot, allowing us to come back home around 10 in the evening at which time I went through my messages, chatted some online and then worked on the edit once more.

Didn’t get to bed until two in the morning, but that was okay seeing as I overslept anyway. Hah. Yep. My alarm went off at nine and yet I somehow managed to not become disturbed by the beeping sound until nine forty. Boy was it could. I folded right then and there, yanked up my mattress and dug through the many bags underneath until I found all my winter sweaters. Yay. Am wearing one of them, thank you very much. A wool fisherman’s sweater from Norway, or some such country which is so long it covers my butt and wide enough to allow for multiple layers underneath. Double Yay. Seriously, my upper body hasn’t been cold all day. As for the lower part. I am wearing sweats under jeans, and could do with another layer but fear that I would look like a Michelin man if I did. Hah.

After breakfast and laundry, it was down into the yard again. The greenhouse was blissfully warm, and I spent at least half an hour in there to search for bugs. I would have stuck around longer, but again the plants down in the yard had to be watered, requiring time an effort. No matter this time. Though the wind was still the same as yesterday, the sun was also fully out warming us at least a little.

What else. Well, there were repairs to make. Alta (perro the agua) recently wrecked the rubber wind block strip (rubber) so I put a new one on. The tarp closure that we made to keep the wind out of the carport had a rip in it ad a slat broke due to the massive winds. Both had to be fixed and even replaced.

There was a trip to the storage to get supplies, and there was my cabin floor which absolutely had to be swept today. Seriously, I don’t mind a little dirt on the floor. On the most part I arrive in my cabin late at night, about half an hour before bedtime. I turn on the light, change into my pjs, crawl under the blankets, turn off the lights and pass out. It’s as simple as that. But it was getting bad. I startled the other day because a pluck of dog hair made think there was a rat lying in the middle of my room. Now it’s clean as a whistle…sorta anyway. Hah.

Well, that’s about it, I guess. According to the weather reports temperatures should go back up again the day after tomorrow. I for one can hardly wait. I am really spoiled when it comes to temperatures, or so I have found.

Right. I should get to work. Let’s hope I have more interesting news to report two days from now, eh?

No comments: