Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

R.I.P. Asha

Song of the day: “Stronger” by Kelly Clarkson. Don’t ask me why. I don’t like this song either, but I’ll take it over the song that kept going through my head yesterday because it was driving me effing bonkers.

Again I’m late. We had to edit (we were letting getting home from a donation) so we opted to do that before I wrote the blog of today. Which means that now, with my rapidly sleepy head, I still need to remember what the heck I did yesterday. *sigh*

Well, there were the normal chores, along with taking care of tenant because caregiver was at her other job. It was a hot day, and it took her a while before she decided she wanted to go down to my terrace for the day. Seriously, it is as if we’ve been plunged head-first into summer, and we’re only halfway into March, for crying out loud. The mercury has been jumping up to the high nineties for three days now, and our bodies are scrambling to adjust.

But anyway, after tenant was settled for the day, I headed down into the yard for harvesting (we’re having a steady influx of sugar peas now, yay) and watering at the same time. Hot as heck, of course, but still rather pleasant, if for no other reason than that it was peaceful down there. Did water Knight II down (and today, Chaos) because he has this weird inclination to lie in the full sun.

Cousin Ed was out to the second market, while mom and the younger sibs were at their normal spot. They’re diversifying, if folks like the products. Not bad sales either, for either of the sellers.

Worked on restoring this two-foot decorative classic car with driver. Managed to get the old shape completely back. Now all I’ve got to do is recreate it original colors and redo the entire thing. I am pleasantly surprised with the end result.

There were two cooking sessions, of course. Yesterday was leftover day, but today we had boiled basmati rice, with a pumpkin lentil curry, with green herbed cauliflower and broccoli on the side and fresh spinach with cheese. It went down rather well, I’ve got to admit.

Yesterday afternoon we finally got around to cleaning up Carla’s ears. The poor dog had big clusters of hair lumped on his ears, and was of course (there) infested with ticks, so it took some time to get him cleaned up. Ended up washing out his outer ears with iodine, and shaving all the mess off until he was properly clean again.

Two dog feeding sessions, naturally, and cutting the new veggies for the next day. Finally got our hands on a proper pan to boil the dog food in. It has a lid and everything, so the boiling also goes way faster now. Very handy.

Bad news is that for the past few weeks we’ve been having two sick old dogs, of which one gave the spirit today. Asha. A ten year old Cocker Spaniel. He could hardly walk anymore, was confused and for him life was just no fun anymore. We got him as a pup (he was little sister’s dog, meaning she lost two of her dogs in the past week, pour thing) from a rather bad breeder. He was a relatively healthy dogs, prone to melancholy, really. His health has been on a steady decline for the past year, so it was no big surprise to have him pass, but still, it puts a damper on the day, doesn’t it? He was a sweet, stubborn little dog.

Let’s hope that the second dog (Husky, Akata) will hold out a bit longer. It’s not as if there’s a lot the vet can do for him.

Had to go past the garage again this afternoon, inquiring after the pull bar we want to have installed, but apparently that is a lot harder to do in Spain than it is in any other country. There’s paperwork involved, and then the car and hook (and sometimes even the trailer) have to go through a big MOT check that, if we didn’t have to go already, we’d have to go twice, darn it. Stupid bureaucracy.

We are playing with the idea of installing a couple of windows in grandpa’s room. He would love to be able to open the doors and allow for the soft night breeze to cool his room during the night.

Spent part of the afternoon cutting down several mimosa trees that have gradually been dying. I had wanted to finish that today, but who has time, right? I had to be satisfied with the rather rigorous trimming that I had already done.

I had planned to write a rather awesome short story that had been haunting me for a while now, for the blog, but regretfully I just don’t have the time. It is well after midnight after all. I will get around to it, though, I promise.

I’m friggin’ cross-eyed again with tiredness, so I better head over to bed..

No comments: