Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Monday, June 25, 2012

Fingers crossed

Song of the day: “Payphone” by Maroon 5. Not a huge fan of the band, but they do have a few nice songs…this one included.

I would prefer to do this one fast, seeing as I’m running terribly behind, and haven’t managed more than a couple of paragraphs for the book, because I’ve been forced to be out half the day, and then headed into the yard. So yeah, fast. Don’t laugh. I’m getting way better at doing my blogs shorter.

Yesterday.
Well, I was jarred awake by something, probably mom and the sibs leaving for market, and then passed out again until my alarm almost had me fall out of bed. Seriously, just barely prevented myself from going flat on my face.

Oddly enough the past couple of days have been so hazy the mornings have been downright nippy. Good for the plants, sure, but also extremely weird, all things considered. The sun’s out, there’re no real clouds, and yet it doesn’t feel like full summer (despite the late afternoon humidity) either. Most peculiar. For a while (last night) we were hopeful of a nice thunderstorm, but regretfully it didn’t happen.

There were the morning chores, the feeding of the dogs, and then helping tenant change so she could come down with me to the basin terrace (it was cool enough for her to sit in the sunshine for a change). Did some massive dishes in the field kitchen, and then had breakfast over Spanish. Can I just say here, for the record, that I have a biatch of a time getting my mind around Spanish. I think I’m getting too old to get the flexibility I need for it…on the other hand, maybe I just want to write too badly to bother with it. Hah.

But anyway, since the plan was to make pizza’s for supper, tenant got to work on cutting veggies while I wrote a few pages during the course of the afternoon. Have decided not to work chronologically with this book. It shaves some time off the schedule, which is necessary seeing as we need to have the book done by next spring. I had a really awesome idea for a scene later in the book, so I worked on that. By the time I was done with that for the day, we started on the pizza and baked five in the small grill that is now standing in the field kitchen. Worked out splendidly too, what with all the fresh veggies and the dripping cheese. I LOVE pizza, and it’s been ages.

That done it was down into the vegetable garden to water what needed watering and to harvest what needed harvesting. Not much of either, what with the different weather, but still, it was a couple of hours after all.
On our way up we had to take along about six bags of dog food from the spare storage, and boy, was I breathing heavy when I got up to the carport. Had to hurry back to the middle gate too because big brother, who was carrying up four (160 pounds) and took the one that was sliding off from his hands. Luckily, now with us making most of the dog food with fresh veggies and bread, the kibble lasts way longer.

Once recovered, I cut veggies for the dog food and then took a quick dip in the pool. What with all the sitting (or standing, in my case) we decided to head out for a nice relaxing jog at the end of the day. That was rather wonderful, despite the friggin’ foot. I’ve discovered that it goes well enough, as long as I do my stretches. Did decide to wear my special insoles in my sandals to see if that would help a bit, so, yeah, I’ll keep you informed. Hah.

Ended up doing five pages of the book in total yesterday, but was once again late getting to bed. Strangely enough that didn’t matter for my internal clock this morning, which had me wake up less than three minutes before my alarm was supposed to go off.

After the morning rituals and chores, big brother and I headed to town for a few groceries, and then the garage. Turns out the Land Rover is still acting funny. The engine sputters a little, and it just refuses to build up any speed up the inclines. Very frustrating. So we went to the garage where I discussed the problem with the mechanics. Though it could still be cylinder problem, I got the advice to try it a little longer, let the extra oil do its job before I decided to have the engine taken apart to see if they need to fix, or replace the problem thing. Since doing a huge, expensive repair at this time is really a thing that would require me selling a kidney, or something. *sigh*

But anyway, I was relieved, and we drove home with our fingers crossed that all will be swell in the end. Once we got home (greeted all the dogs) and changed into work clothes, it was down to the terrace where I made pea soup for supper (got some French bread while out) and then headed down into the yard (after eating, of course) to water the whiny plants again, and harvest a little. Beets and broccoli, mostly, also herbs, of which a big load went into the larger drying cupboard grandpa made for me this year. Am doing basil, Marjoram, oregano, thyme and mint at the moment, and took out the first batch of dry basil and chamomile, all nice and dry.

Did some cleaning in the field kitchen again, and then it was up to the car port to start on the day’s computer work. Not getting much of that done, though, seeing as I’m feeling unfocussed, and am still doing this blog thing. Grrr.

Ah well, no matter, tomorrow will be another day, and then…well, we’ll see.

No comments: