Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Friday, June 1, 2012

finished. Finished! FINISHED!...I hope

Song of the day: “Crazy” by Patsy Cline. I like it, every now and then the good ol’ classics come by again, offering sweet relief to the pounding modern music, such as “I like it” by Enrique Iglesias and Pitbull, which was in my head yesterday. Hah.

The edit is finished. Yes, yes, YESSSS! Finally! Yesterday afternoon we got third one over and done with, and now it is time to start on the query letter and synopsis. I anticipate that to take another week or two, but then, finally then, we’ll be able to start on the new project. Thriller genre, remember? It will be interesting to know whether I’ll be able to do it without leaning back toward the romance genre, eh? It’ll also be a learning experience, seeing as I’m going to try to go for plot-based, this time, rather than just seeing where the characters will take me.
Yep, I’m seeing lotsa frustration, reading up on subjects I’ve never heard about, trying to figure out how to fill a pesky plot hole (I’m going for complicated with this baby) and basically learning how to describe characters without getting too flowery. I mean, how do you get a reader to fall in love with a character without letting them fall in “love” with them. That will be something I’ll have to learn.
Sure, the W.I. Investigations were not all that romantic either, but they were short stories, for crying out loud; this will be a full length novel that’ll have to be filled with information that needs to fascinate merely because the plot and characters are fascinating. *sigh*
So yeah, going for serious, intense, amusing, and complex…it’ll be an experience, I’m sure.

So yesterday…besides the finished edit, was mostly about taking out the tarp partition in the carport and putting a picket fence in, instead. There was wood to gather and saw, and then the tarp to remove, only to put in the slats until the dogs could once again be contained away from grandpa’s and tenant’s dogs. Only took a couple of hours, but since there was dog feeding before that, and the laundry before that, our time for projects was over and we headed down to the basin terrace to finish that edit.

Went rather well, if I do say so myself. We’re definitely getting better at the whole process. I mean, really, if you remember how often we had to edit “Saving Nina “ to get it to this level. Gawd, I think we edited that one at least eleven times. Aaaargh.

But anyway, after the edit, it was down into the yard to start watering, while big brother and Cousin Ed planted melons in the yard. I did about half when it was time for me to go on up to the field kitchen to start on supper. Made chickpea/red/white bean/cornflower patties for Sally. She’s still on that gluten free diet, and is just barely managing to get her daily dose of food in because she isn’t at all good at experimenting. Since making something like that takes me about fifteen minutes, and she really likes it, I don’t mind making them.
Since I was busy anyway, I also made pattie dough for us, with a nice veggie mix on the side. All fresh, of course, with zucchini, broccoli, white cabbage and sugar peas. Prepared in a tomato sauce it went down well.

Close to twilight there were dog veggies to cut. Luckily I’m starting to get marginally good at the whole chopping thing, so it only took me about thirty minutes to cut the whole lot. They got a nice diverse mix of veggies that was cut during the course of the evening on the wood stove. So far that’s working pretty well, I admit. The dogs love the bread, veggie, kibble mix, and their health is improving vastly.

There was another trip for bricks sometime yesterday, and the end of the evening was spent online, catching up on messages, making some tentative tries at the query letter, chatting, and of course working on that interview I agreed to do. There were some nice questions, and I think I’ve got enough of them answered to work with. Now there’s the excerpt I need to find from the W.I.s, a picture, maybe a banner. *sigh* Now I need to find where I put all that.

So let’s get to today. This morning I managed to sleep through 15 minutes of the alarms screaming. Don’t ask me why, it just didn’t make its usual startling impression. Hah. The dogs didn’t agree with it either, in fact, Dax, at some point woke me up (instead of the alarm) by jumping on the bed and settling on my legs. *sigh* The others, well, the moment I stirred they got up, of course, and started their usual racket. I gotta admit that I’m not at my most alert early in the morning, meaning that I have to work on Knight II some in the future. He starts bouncing, tries to rush out of the cabin, so at the moment I’m keeping the door closed and stand in his way until he quiets down. There are some mornings when I forget, however, meaning I’ll struggle with the door, trying to keep my toes tucked under my feet (restless paws tend to be painful, you know) while I let the pack out. We’ll get to some sort of agreement yet. Age is already mellowing the lot, but training is still necessary, I fear.

This morning after dog feeding and chores, big brother and I got to work on the small trailer. For a few hours we made new fenders (the darn thing was damaged really bad by the previous owner, luckily we got it cheap) which we should be able to attach tonight, or tomorrow. Probably tomorrow, seeing as we have to go out later today to pick some stuff up.

Since I had to write this blog, I lost an hour or two, which I really should have been using for the query letter, so I’m going to leave it at this, and get back to the boring stuff next time ‘round. Hah.

No comments: