Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

34 and counting

Song of the day: “Amazing Grace” by the Maverick choir. Didn’t see that one coming, did ya? Never think that my brain can’t come up with a proper ear worm. Hah.

Alright then, Saturday…drawing a complete blank for a moment here. Darn it. I’m going to have to grab my diary…
Okay, we’re in business.
Dreamed of Ireland. Yep, now I remember. Gawd, I was in a really nice and green place somewhere in the southwest. There was this big old homestead and I was walking through the woods, which was rather amazing…not to mention beautiful. I was really regretful of waking up.

Well, I got up regardless, of course, and started on the day doing such mundane stuff as laundry, feeding the dogs, and then editing, of course. Didn’t go bad either, finished it (at the end of the day) with only 12 pages to go.

Did some work on the kitchen, hauled rocks down there, along with bricks and concrete blocks before starting on some masonry. Added more to the wall. Changed my mind on one side and am going to make it concrete, rather than halfway with glass on top. No use putting I glass if there’s a closet and fridge in front of it.
Added to the edge, poured some more concrete there and then had to go out to check on the new job location.

Tiny, yet quaint little house in the middle of the village. You could totally do something with it if ya put in a little time and effort. As to the job, it will be doable. Wall scraping, painting and then a general cleanup. I’m going to ask if it’s okay if I take pictures for the blog. Hah.

On the business side of things, mom and the sibs have bought a van for their markets, so that means that Cousin Ed and I can use the Land Rover in the future, which is way better. Yay. Personally I find buying a van in this economy, and with the markets slowly bleeding dry, a dangerous risk, but then, it is not my risk to take, but theirs. They saved up, made a decision and went for it. Their company, their choice. For them, I definitely hope it works out.

Cooking yesterday involved leftovers of the day before, one a crust with mozzarella on top, grilled. A rather wonderful dish, actually.

So that brings us to today.
Had to get up at six this morning. My dogs didn’t much agree with that, but thankfully weren’t too noisy in their disapproval. *sigh* Didn’t much feel like breakfast, so I just nibbled on some serial, hooked up the wagon and left.
Arrived at the market on time (only drove wrong once) and quickly got to unloading. Not a particularly pleasant day, weather-wise. Loads of winds, even there in town (more so at home, apparently) which made the day a busy one while we tried to keep track of everything that was inclined to blow off at the least provocation. Didn’t park the car there today, by the way, seeing as cousin Ed had to go to some sort of charity thing today to see if she could arrange help for Sally.
Personally I walked through most of the market. Bought a nice stack of glasses for bargain prices, along with a really sturdy cooking pan with a proper size for big meals. I would say it’s hotel size and has a long single handle, which is handy when you’re cooking. Managed to haggle on the price (I have no shame these days) and brought it down from fifteen to ten. Not bad. Also bought myself a pashmina for my birthday tomorrow…well today, actually, it’s past midnight. Hah. 34 years and counting.
Talked with only a few people. Unlike Funny Beach this is not the type of market where folks stand together and talk. Basically it’s the difference of a small town market and a chain-supermaket. The first is cozy, the second impersonal.
The general consensus amidst market folks is that the markets are bleeding to death, which is a shame. It doesn’t help that most of ‘m started out as being run by market holders, only to have been shoved aside by town hall wanting to have the dough and the control. *sigh*
Pity.
As to selling. Sold a mini dog bed of 10 bucks, which basically makes up the “rent” of our spot, a doll and that’s it. Hah. The guy who bought the bed was a nice one. I don’t think he actually needed one, but he had a Beagle (loved it to pieces) and when he heard how many dogs we have, he insisted on buying something.
Also talked to a nice lady who’s in a bit of a fix because she is moving back to Austria and can’t take her dog along. She’s looking for a new home. She asked if I might know of someone. *sigh* Poor doggy.
Another nice girl was the stand holder across from us. We bitched a bit about how folks find everything to expensive, despite the fact that her stuff wasn’t second hand, and the stuff I had wasn’t factory-made. I get the haggling, I really do. Heck, I do it myself. But I also understand the frustration of the stand holders who are trying to make a living. This girl ended up buying a tiny Winnie the Pooh elephant. She couldn’t resist, since she was a sucker for elephants. Despite the fact that it wasn’t really for sale separately, we have a whole Winnie the Pooh set going after all, I let her have it for a buck. Hah.
From noon I was on my own, but since nothing else got sold after that, it wasn’t all that big a problem.
Cousin Ed returned before the end of the market so we could load up together and head back on home. What with the wind blowing, the decision to head onto the highway wasn’t the smartest idea, that little wagon swayed like mad, so we got off again ASAP. Arrived home after three, unloaded and made supper of pumpkin. Soup.

Considering big brother had a dentist appointment today, he picked up some bread on the way back, which worked well with the pumpkin soup later in the evening.
At the end of the afternoon it was time for us to head out for a donation…dog veggies. A store sorts through what it can’t use at the end of the day, and most of the time we can take home a load that goes well for the dogs.

That done we got home, had supper, and managed about one page in the edit before it was time to write the blog. Meaning that this is the end of this one, and I’m going to hit the sack. Yay.

No comments: