Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Another weekend gone

Song of the day: “Gold Forever” by the Wanted. A bit of a whiny song, and typical earworm material if you ask me. It was there, so, yeah…whatever.

Okay, the weekend. Saturday was really rather uneventful, due to the fact that I am coughing way too much yet to go to market, and because Cousin Ed can hardly be expected to go on her own. So, again no market this Sunday, meaning that we didn’t need to load up the Land Rover.

Started reading “Game of Thrones”, and I though I don’t dislike it, I do have to say that I am a little surprised by the sexual tones in the story. I’ve read my fair share of high fantasy, and I can assure you that those didn’t mention the amount of details when referring to sex. In fact, some of the stuff I’m reading here rivals the more moderate romance novels I’ve read over the years. Very strange.

Big brother and I spent some time using the jackhammer on the concrete mixer. Grandpa has a tendency to not clean it properly, meaning that we lot about half the size of the drum to dried concrete. It took some hammering to clear that out, I assure you. Considering that there was a freezing northern wind, we were mighty uncomfortable up there in the full blast of it.

Managed to choke down some meat again, yay (Good Sammie) once I smothered it in Satay, and of course baked it to a friggin’ crisp. Don’t laugh, darn it. Eating meat is pretty darn hard work, you know.

There were of course three dog feeding sessions, and a trip to the city to pick up the food donation for the dogs from the drug rehab center. The usual stuff like laundry got done, too, of course, and cooking…with today pies for Sally’s birthday. She asked for lemon pie, so we had lemon pie. Boy did that work out well, already had a piece and a half. Those “sweet” lemons from the yard are really good for this sort of thing. You have the tang, yet not the nose-wrinkling sourness Lemons are known for.

But anyway, since we weren’t going to the market, big brother and I opted to head out for the tankless water heater job instead. Left bright and early (after feeding the dogs, of course, and after Chaos stole our lunch, which grandpa had left on the table. Had to take the makings of mac&cheese instead) and arrived on site with a nice bit of sunshine and hardly any wind. Bliss, I tell ya. The first cover that we’d worked on at home already went on without a hitch, but the second one, the one that we couldn’t pre-make because there was a logistics problem, took some figuring out. Did finally figure it out. A stab in, closing mechanism at the top trap door thing. It would work. Had the darn thing almost completely done when suddenly my drill broke, and I scraped it right through the netting, creating a three inch hole…so we had to start over. Big brother didn’t even swear, which I find admirable. Hah.
Fixed my error with new netting, and then left big brother to finish up while I headed out into the yard for some trimming. Managed only some cosmetics on about thirty trees, I guess, and by then the sun was going down, meaning there was no time to clean up the branches. Still had to load everything back up, clean up the mess we’d made during construction, and checking if we turned everything off that had to be turned off.
It was already dark by the time we headed home…not to mention bitterly cold. Brrr.
Here's the cover by the way:





Writing wise it’s been slow but steady this weekend and today. We’re still checking the new scene in context, meaning we have to check everything, make references, check, and cross check until we’re sure that it truly fits. Considering that such things take time, we’re taking it.

Which brings us to today. The usual chores and such preceded a nice quiet reading session of “the scene”. Followed by making two pies (one lemon, one kiwi…had a big batch of those, so they had to be put to use) and then hauling rocks down to the outside kitchen. Added a few more layers on the edges, yay. Soon we’ll be able to start putting in the high windows at least. Did some fancy masonry with some oddly shaped rocks to boot, which was fun…right before we headed into town to pick up some butter and a small donation.

Tenant is still the same. Difficulty drinking, a bit of a cough, a tad depressed…understandable of course. Hope that all this bad luck lately will pass soon.

Mom, on the other hand, isn’t feeling well at all. I’m afraid she might have caught the flu, or otherwise she’s overworked, which wouldn’t be surprising. The past few weeks have been pretty hectic. Have put her to bed with a hot water bottle, and the younger sibs are keeping an eye on her. Hope she feels better in the morning.

As for me. It’s incredibly late so I better start get ready for bed. Tomorrow’s gonna be here soon enough.

No comments: