Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Hospital toils 2

Song of the day: “Can’t get you outta my head” by Kylie Minogue. That’s a first, I think. Haven’t had this song as a earworm yet.

So let’s get right to it, and get to yesterday’s events. First off, I overslept by at least fifteen minutes. This flu is friggin’ persistent, I tell ya. No matter. I rushed through the morning rituals, did the laundry, fed the dogs, and then got ready to leave for the hospital. Since it had no use for both of us to lose our day on this, cousin Ed and I agreed that I would go on this day, and she the next. Besides, previous experiences had me suspect that they’d know very little on this first day, so there wasn’t much to ask about anyway.

I arrived at the hospital at one, on the dot, like they had told us the day before, so I would be able to speak with the doctor. Of course, when I arrived at the information desk, the computer wasn’t working, so they sent me to the waiting room next door, where they claimed I would be called just as soon as it was my turn. Half an hour passed, before I realized that the tinny mumbling that was audible, occasionally, was a voice, calling for names. So I thought, darn it, I haven’t been listening, and rushed back to the information desk to ask if tenant’s name had already been called. The guy (a different one from before) said that they hadn’t started calling names yet, but that if I gave him the name of my grandmother (I had to say she was my grandmother, otherwise they are even less likely to give out information) he would see what the computer said. Turns out she was already in a room and I could just go there…of course urgencias (ER) is on the other side of the main entrance, meaning that I have to go quite a distance because you are not allowed to go through the hospital. My friggin’ foot was really appreciative of that, I assure you. (At the end of the day I was about to ready to chop the darn thing off, thank you very much.)

But anyway, I found tenant’s room, talked with her first and discovered that she thought they told her she had pneumonia and that they were prepping her for an operation that she was pretty darn scared of. Yikes. Talk about startles, so I hopped back up and started looking for someone who knew what the heck was going on. Went to the nurse’s station where some intern refused to tell me anything because that was just the infirmary , so I searched on and asked for some help from this bunch of people in nurse’s uniforms, who deigned to inform me that they had called for an interpreter. That was fine with me, since I hoped that this person might be able to get some answers for us. So I went back to tenant, and we talked some more. She appeared more aware than the day before, but still not her old self, I’ll admit.

I went out, and asked if it would be at all possible for me to speak with a doctor. At first they were doubtful, but after enough nagging they did call and said that he’d be coming along shortly. Shortly turned out to be another fifteen minutes, but there he was, gesturing me to “come along, come along” to the office where he yanked out tenant’s file and started explaining the problem. Apparently they had been miffed that no one had been around that morning (we had been told to be there at one) because they had needed a quick decision on tenant’s treatment. Apparently she has sepsis, based on a urinary tract infection, which has been a problem with her for several years already. Too little drinking didn’t help much either. But he said that in the end the case was severe enough for the doctor to make the decision, and they put a drain in her stomach and started the medication.

I was explained that it was very severe (duh) and that there was a chance she would die. Which meant that I better inform her family, just in case. I visited with tenant a little longer, at which time she began to shiver. I got the nurse in, who checked her temp (no fever this time) and then supplied blanket. Finally I said my goodbyes with the promise that one of us would be there again the next day and returned home in the pouring rain.

Once home there were the usual chores, including cutting dog food, after which I wrote to tenant’s daughter with an update and worked on “Trust Me” Said the Spy for what was left of the afternoon, and later in the evening.

Mom is still not well, neither is grandpa, or Cousin Ed, or Big brother. Didn’t I tell you this bug is persistent.

For some strange reason, Knight II is incredibly hungry in the evening, so I’ve been giving him extra bread, which he LOVES. Seriously, he’ll be bouncing around until he gets it, and then runs off to eat on top of my bed (yeah, I really like THAT), only to return for the next piece, and the next, until finally he is stuffed. Hah. Sometimes I think that he likes getting the bread, while the others don’t, better than the actual eating.

But anyway, I hardly slept a wink during the night. I don’t know why, really, I just couldn’t turn of my brain, I guess. Today Cousin Ed went to hospital, leaving me free to do the usual morning chores, and to feed the dogs. Considering grandpa was still sick, I also had to cut the bread, which made it take a little longer. The dogs were mighty restless when feeding time finally arrived.

Barely had time to have breakfast when big brother and I departed for town where he had a dentist appointment (again). While he was seeing to that fun chore, I did some groceries, and before I knew it was rushing back to pick him back up again.

Once back home (grandpa still pretty miserably, and Cousin Ed already back with a full report on tenant) big brother and I worked some on the window frame for the kitchen, which was nice, since the clouds disappeared and we were in full sunshine for a change.

As to tenant, the doctor was pleased to inform Cousin Ed that despite the fact that tenant wasn’t out of danger yet, the medication was working, and most of the symptoms from sepsis were under control. She was most pleased to receive pictures her daughter had sent of herself and tenant’s granddaughter, oohed and aahed over them, and talked avidly during the time Cousin Ed was there.

Didn’t have too much time for carpentry though, since we had to head out again to the vegetable center to get veggies for the dogs, and afterward, to get a batch of rocks. The latter was excellent exercise after several weeks of inactivity. Got a good batch, too…and big brother had to unload it on his own, too, because I had to cook supper.

Well, that’s it for today. I’ve got to get up early tomorrow morning to be at the hospital at ten in an attempt to speak with the doctor once more. We’ll see how that works.

No comments: