Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Monday, March 4, 2013

Back to hospital

Song of the day: “Beneath your beautiful” by Labrynth and Emeli Sandé. Gorgeous song still, and not a bad one at all to have in your head.

I couldn’t think of a single thing to celebrate the 10,000th visitor, so we’ll just have to postpone that ‘till 15,000 or something. Anyone who has a grand idea for that momentous occasion is welcome to make suggestions. Hah.

So, back at the hospital. Caregiver was already there with Sally, who had her doctor’s appointment, so I was home alone with tenant, who wasn’t doing well at all. Her refusal to drink and eat became worse over the past few days and this morning, when I tried to tempt her into taking something, she complained she couldn’t think, couldn’t choose, and just wanted to stay in bed. Not good. She’s been wanting the bed a lot lately, but seeing as she’d been in it for about twelve hours already, and had just come out thirty minutes earlier, it was clearly getting worse. I checked her skin for dehydration, didn’t like that either, and she wasn’t making much sense with the few words that she was expressing. So, big brother and I conversed for a moment, and then decided to pack her up in the car and call caregiver not to bother coming home, but meet us at the ER.

Thirty-five minutes later, rain pouring down, we arrived at the hospital and got her into a chair and to the back exam rooms…seriously, that ER is getting to be way too familiar if you ask me.
Caregiver and tenant were already off to the back by the time I got to the reception area. I adopted my usual “I don’t know what I’m doing here, will someone please help the poor foreigner who hardly speaks any Spanish?” and asked where my grandma was. The nurse started telling me that only one person was allowed into the back, but the young man behind the reception area took pity on me, and said I could go to the back and exchange places with caregiver. Of course, when I got to the back, tenant needed to be shifted in her seat and there was no nurse around to do the honors, and caregiver had to stick around because of her Spanish, so we both got to stay.

While tenant was being prepped for exams and observation, caregiver and I sat in the waiting room, both of us reading, and more or less oblivious of all the sick people around us. The waiting period was relatively short, at which point the male nurse who’d handled tenant, came to fetch us. She was on a stretcher by then, with breathing tubes in her nose (which she kept trying to remove, of course). She wasn’t really coherent there, while the doctor examined her and determined that she had an airway infection. Strange how those can develop in less than two days. I mean, she always has a lot of mucus, but apparently some sort of bacteria had “nestled” in it, meaning that they put some sort of breathing mask on her with a vaporizing liquid…that wafted right up my throat (I was stupid enough to try to talk with her while she was breathing it) and had it feel wonky for half the day. *sigh*

The stuff did seem to help her, allowing her to breathe deeply and quiet down. We explained the symptoms to the doctor, though as usually they don’t respond all that much to what friends and relatives have to say. We did point out that she’s be acting oddly of late, and that the eating and drinking was disastrous, but the first thing they wanted to focus on was the airway infection.

The was when we were basically sent off, with the promise that we could visit at eight in the morning, one in the afternoon (to talk with a doctor), or five in the afternoon for visiting. Same old same old. No answers until the tests are done, naturally. Well, at least she’ll be on the drip and no longer dehydrating.

As for the weekend. Well, Sunday was a bust, market wise. The weather has been disastrous for three days now. We’ve had wind, rain, and general nippiness, and I don’t like it one bit. I want spring, darn it.

Writing wise we’re done with the edit of V.L. The letter is done, too, so asap (probably tomorrow) we’re going to send it to the publisher. Then of course we’ll be right back to the “we’ll see” bit, but what the hey. I’m starting to really get used to this patience, and waiting bit when it concerns “the dream”.

We worked a little on the window frames for the future kitchen. Not much, due to the weather. It was darn cold up there, in the full wind, and of course we had to head out for a donation. Again a small one, but all the bits count in the end.

Knight II is driving me to drink. Seriously, every other day he wrecks his “sock” and ends up licking at his friggin’ foot until it bleeds. Soon, all our hard work will be for nothing when we have to start at square one. I better think of something, because denim is no longer working.

Grandpa is still pretty sick, sleeping often during the course of the day. Same thing goes for mom, for that matter. Cousin Ed, too, is still not feeling all that well. Sally’s cough is almost gone, though…which reminds me, she had her doctor’s appointment today, to hear about the results, and was scared out of her mind when the photos showed that the cancer had spread in her abdomen. The doc proceeded to examine her belly, and thankfully discovered that the supposed growths were only small bruises from the injections she is getting daily for her thrombosis. Phew. A big relief that. Regretfully her lung tumor didn’t get any smaller during the past few months, and what’s worse, because she’s been so tired, they don’t want to do another set of chemo until she’s become a little stronger. I do hope that I can get her to exercise a little, because she is losing all her muscle tone.
Gawd, all this sickness lately could drive a person bonkers, I tell ya. *sigh*

Walked the visiting dogs for the last time this morning. Their “mommy” came to pick them up today, so that means no more rushing through the morning rituals so there’s time to walk them.

Cooking wise, there were three meals. Veggies with rice, with broccoli on the side. Then yesterday mash potatoes and carrots, and then today pumpkin soup. All three meals worked rather well, and there’re leftovers, so with a little luck I won’t have to cook tomorrow.
Also managed to choke down another piece of meat, so that’s yay for me.
Of course there was also dog food to cut, and prepare, with little help from grandpa, who tends to do quite a bit of it, so we have time for other stuff.

Woke with a massive kink in my neck, Saturday morning. Felt like friggin' whiplash I tell ya, and I blame the dogs. It was so cold, they spent the entire night pressing up against me, ergo the kink. Grrr

I might have finally ended up lucky in the clothes department. Might be I found a store with designs and sizes that would actually work me while still being affordable. I'll get back to you on that.


Well, that’s it for me. Time to start getting ready for bed.

No comments: