Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Lots happening.

Song of the day: “Temptation” by Wet Wet Wet. Wonder where it came from since I haven’t heard it in years. I used to be a WWW fan, but time passes and tastes change and all that. Maybe it was on the radio this morning, or something. Hmmm.

It was a hurried morning on the most part, considering middle sister has a toothache and grandpa made a dentist appointment for her. Big brother and I hurry our way through getting more basics of the synopsis down and before I know it, it’s time to get ready to drive to town.

On our way down the mountain, several police cars come squealing past, momentarily distracting us, but then we arrive at the office and it is time for middle sister to have her ache removed. It takes almost an hour, but when she appears she has had a local anesthetic and has been treated for an inflamed root canal. She needs another appointment next week.

Minutes later we’re back on our way up and discover that the police we saw coming past have locked down the entire village for traffic. Luckily we don’t actually need to go through there, and take the road that passes around it, curiously trying to catch a glimpse of the streets below that appear to be deserted for some reason.

Strange, but we really can’t imagine what is going on: A terrorist threat? A bank robbery? Or something more inane. Your guess is as good as mine in this case. When we arrive home there is a black car parked in front of the gate, stunning us, really, since we weren’t expecting visitors.

As it turns out, there are two men who’ve come to check up on grandpa. Seeing as he has a state pension, he is not allowed to live together with a “person of interest” without receiving a deduction, but considering that he is a single man with no interest whatsoever in having a romantic liaison with anyone, it is not a problem. The guys are gone in less than five minutes, making us shake our heads at the waste of such a check team.

Here they are, receiving wages and expenses to travel all across Spain from Madrid (an odd 700 miles away) to check up on a seventy-something year old man who gets a minimum pension. Even if he were living together with someone, I doubt that those extra fifty bucks would make up for the wages paid to such a team.

Ah well, their waste of money in the end. For us it is little more than a hiccup in the day, for them it was a near disaster, to even locate our address.
Since it already late, I have a quick lunch of a couple of grilled cheese sandwiches, and then we get started on today’s work with rocks and cement.

I’m back to foundation I made yesterday, and the younger sibs work on their own section while keeping a constant eye on little Sita III, who’s bouncing around in ecstatic bliss most of the day. The majority of the pack treats her with mild indulgence. Some avoid her, and others get downright grumpy whenever she comes near. Hah.

The sun is pretty hot while we work, adding rock after rock to our respective projects, until we need to call today’s session to a halt. Excellent progress, naturally, but since we want to get some exercise in, we really need to stop before well before sunset if we still want to get a new load of rocks.

I help big brother with the last bit of another step he adds to the first stairs he created. While we were working with the rocks, he has been all over place, fitting in a tap for the washing machine and putting the large machine in place on the elevation, I made the other day. He replaces the broken handle of the back lid of the truck bed and helped mom while she tried her hand at tiling the new section of the skimmer for the pool.

Little brother and sister have already headed inside to start on dinner when big brother and I head up to the drive sweep for a quick run up the mountain. There really isn’t time for an actual jog…our tenant needs to be picked up from her rehab session, of course…and we’re just about done when the truck returns, right on the dot.

I barely have time to catch my breath when we depart (still in our sweats) to get a quick load of rocks, before the day is through. I gotta admit that I should have taken a breather, ‘cause by the time we’re done loading, my entire torso is screaming for rest, hah.

More than happy to have a quick dip in the pool, we arrive home, unload the batch and I hurry down to the courtyard to dive in. Cold and wet. It revives me enough to head inside, have dinner (chili sin carne) and then set up the computer for a final hour of editing, before midnight arrives.

Admittedly, we only manage a page or two, considering my eyes literally fall shut throughout the session, but still it is enough to settle my worries about not getting through it fast enough. Fifteen pages to go and we’ll have the rewrite-edit done.

I have a slight sunburn, I’m bone tired, more than eager to get to sleep and I’m done early with today’s Blog. Yay.

No comments: