Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Homerun!!!...well, sorta anyway. *snort*

Song of the day…there was none. I had stuff on my mind, so a song couldn’t find room. Hah.

Okay, let’s get the embarrassing part over with: I got out of the car during the paper route, my arms stacked with ‘bout 200 hundred papers. I had my baseball cap on, raincoat hood tugged over it, and was about a yard away from the overhang belonging to the chain store where I needed to make the drop. I spun away from the door, determined not to get the papers wet and sprinted the sum total of two feet when it hit. It was like a baseball bat swung against my shin. Going full speed, my leg decided to stay behind (a mid-shin high concrete block) and I went down like a log.

In a big puddle of water, of course, with the papers that I was trying to keep dry. They went flying and though I doubt it looked that way, I somehow managed to immediately roll to my feet. Yep, that would not have happened two years ago. I would have gone down and lay their like a beached whale or something, wondering what hit me.
As it was, I felt the wetness on my side, decided to go with the momentum, and continued until I was back on my feet. Seriously, once I stopped swearing, got over the shock, and my right shin started swelling, and I had stopped swearing again, I was impressed. Hah. Yeah, I know, but really, it was very unlike me.

Luckily, I had spare clothes with me, ‘cause I was soaking wet on one side, and big brother drove me to the nearest pharmacy so I could buy pressure bandage. My leg was swelling considerable--a patch of three inches in diameter, I think--but all in all it got better once I had the pressure bandage on. Big brother dropped off the bigger amounts of bundles, and I only did the small ones, taking my time crossing the distances.

On the positive side, my body did an excellent job of making a natural painkiller, because for about an hour it didn’t hurt all that bad, not even my left foot, which is nothing short of a miracle on paper bringing day. On the not-so-positive side, after that first hour my left foot and right shin started hurting with a vengeance. For the most part I wasn’t sure which side to limp, so I decided to alternate. Hah. Okay, that sounds bad, but it really wasn’t. I might not have been my “cheery” self, but I did manage to get the job done in the end. Yay.

Lost about eighty papers to the debacle too, which wasn’t good either but manageable since, due to the pissy weather (it was coming down in buckets for the first part of the day) several drop points were firmly closed. It was a quiet day too, considering there was a big football game going on…except for the bars, actually, of which some were literally stacked to full capacity.
But anyway, the entire job thing was very end-of-the-world in atmosphere for some reason.
The sky was overcast, rain pounded down, the sea churned and only a few people ventured outside. If it hadn’t been for the traffic (there were those who appeared to be in a hurry to get to the hospital in a rush, hah) the world could have been deserted. We did manage to get the whole thing done before two in the morning, which isn’t bad considering we lost about forty-five minutes to the incident.

Once we got home the dogs were of course in their usual ecstatic states, meaning that they were rubbing against, bumping into and scratching at my hurt leg, aaaaargh, but big brother thankfully kept them a little bit at bay. Hah. They always do this. If you have a hurt foot, leg, stomach, arm, heck finger too, they'll find a way to hit it. Darn it!

Enough about the job, what else has been going on? Weeeeeeell, this morning was absolutely grand since big brother and I had to get up in time to finish was what left of the route in the village and then shoot straight through to Malaga (that was sarcasm, by the way, the grand thing, that is) to drop the car off at the garage. Yay. Seriously, I could have done without, all things considered. It was a rather restless night considering turning didn’t go all that well. Ah well, what must be done, must be done.

Afterwards, (today that is) we spent a bit of time drying the imperial and then heading out into the yard to check on the veggies and such. Took in a nice harvest of peppers, and even a few late tomatoes, so, yay! While we were out there, the sky actually broke open for a few minutes, allowing for actual sunlight…in the distance. Not on our mountain, regretfully, but seeing it was enough to remind me that this is Spain and I am likely to see the sun shining again overhead soon enough. I tend to forget that every now and then when it rains. I’m so spoiled. *sigh*

I’m going to quit while I’m ahead. I definitely did more than enough complaining for one day and I would like to get back to editing so we can actually finish this book soon and do something new. I’m ready for something new…and fast. Hah.

No comments: