Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

Mosey-ing on

Song of the day: “Teenage dirtbag” by Wheatus. This is the first time I had this one in my head, I think. While working in the greenhouse and in the yard, it just kept going, and going, and going. Drove me bonkers, actually. Hah.

Okay, I’m actually early today, so lets get this thing rolling so I can get to my edits.

Oh dear, drawing a blank already, darn it.
Bus. Right. Caregiver’s bus, you remember the one, right? We painted it some months ago? Well anyway. The floor in the bathroom was getting to be too bad, so we ripped out the old one and put in a new. Since we were busy there anyway, we also put in the new toilet (had to get the old one out, so there was no sense in waiting with it)…we, meaning big brother and grandpa. It was a small space, so I ended up hauling in tools and supplies most of the time. Hah.

While waiting, I spent some time putting old clothes and such in storage. You never know when it might come in handy after all. The new floor is looking good, by the way, and so does the toilet.

Weather wise things have been pretty miserable these past couple of days. Yesterday I woke up to roaring thunder and pounding hail. Standing in front of my bedroom door, I couldn’t help but stare at the grayish/white ground and wonder “what the…” An inch thick layer of hail pellets covered the ground and it took my sleep drunk brain a solid thirty seconds to make a connection.
My dogs, on the other hand, took one look at the mess and rushed back to bed where they curled up on the still warm blankets. Smart little buggers.

Gada’s ear is fully healed now, thank you very much. Now if only the same treatment would work with Touri, I would be vastly relieved.

Both yesterday morning and this morning were spent making fresh cream cheese. I think I’ve got the recipe down pat now. It tastes rather wonderful and doesn’t cost all that much to make. Fresh herbs, some salt and pepper and it’s done. Added to that, the whey makes for a great soup. Had onion soup, and a vegetable soup in the past couple of days.

The basin is as good as full, by the way. Not strange, mind you, considering it came down in buckets last night. Big brother and I headed out after midnight to close the dam leading to the main tubing lest we got some serious flooding during the thunderous night. It was mighty interesting digging dirt and putting up the barrier with a flashlight in my mouth. Hah.

We had a wonderful run yesterday afternoon. We decided to head straight up the mountain taking Knight II along. He needed the exercise. Our friend Dani, and her dog Niobe went along as well. It was quite a hike, first going straight up the incline, (meaning it was steeper than a stairwell, mind you) and then taking the paths down at a run.
This was the first time Knight II ran on a leash with me, but he did great. He came to heel perfectly, didn’t pull, and kept pace with me without effort on his part. He was properly exhausted afterwards, and even though my foot was pounding like mad afterwards, I felt rather good about it too. My stamina is definitely improving.

This morning was spent reopening some ditches that slipped closed during the storms, but nothing big.

The lock of the carport gate broke the other day, so big brother and grandpa spent a couple of hours on that and managed to fix the problem. It now actually works better than it used to, seeing as they replaced the old spring with a much stronger one.

There was of course more gardening, thankfully. There were weeds to pull in the lower garden, which we did. I loved it, in particular because the sun came out for a bit. *sigh*

Then there was greenhouse work, meaning that we put up the second shelve on the south side, now filled with tomato plant pots, some lavender, and a lettuce. It looks so cute too, but since I don’t have my own phone (with camera) at the moment, I’ll have to wait with pictures. Darn it.
Afterwards we transplanted a full tray of tomatoes into pots, along with yellow peppers, which are absolutely delicious. While digging through the dirt supply under the work table, I freaked out a little due to the thousands of worms in it. Seriously, the earth was moving and to dig into that was a little icky.

Due to all the rain we’ve been forced to drain the garden pit twice, which has, of course, added to the basin level considerably. Lots of water coming into the pit, meaning that we’re really going to have to dig into the side and put a tube there somewhere.

Okay, this will have to do for now. I’ve got an edit to do.

No comments: