Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Heavy cleaning

Song of the day: “The voice” by Eimear Quin. Wonderful song, but then a lot of Irish music falls that way with me.

First of all, I saw the motion picture, Hanna, yesterday evening, and was vastly disappointed. Such a wonderful premise and then to see it done in that way…I mean, really, the actor’s did a fine job, the plot was good, but then the way it was done.They put the emphasis on all the wrong stuff, as if they were taking a photograph of a beautiful landscape but chose the wrong spot to shoot I from…just a terrible pity. It could have excelled, darn it.

But anyway, it was a movie, so in the end, who cares, right? It usually is a fifty fifty change anyway. You like the movie, or not. Simple as that.

Right, yesterday.
Yesterday was kind of busy with small tasks that took more time than effort, even though I was properly exhausted at the end of the day.
We started using the stairs, yay, and they work fine, thank you very much. So much easier getting down now.

Well, even though I am threatening to draw a blank at this moment, I do remember doing a bit of harvesting. The tomatoes are drawing near to the end of their season, which is a terrible pity, but inevitable. Yesterday and today combined, I harvested maybe twelve tomatoes, which is a terribly low number, compared to summer where we took up a basket a day at least.

The majority of the stuff I did involved cleaning up. In this instance attacking spider webs in the house, they were humongous, if not a bit scary. Hah. It took me half an hour just to do the main parts of the ceiling, and then I haven’t even tried to tackle the ones hiding in corners and such. *sigh*

Next, after helping tenant get ready, and walking her down to the basin and getting her settled for the day, I got to work on the garden pit. It has been a genuine mess for more than a month now, and yesterday it finally got to be too much for me. I dug through the plastic trays, pots and…well, lotsa stuff, with a stick, you understand, because of the two snakes that have already wandered down there. Jeez. Whenever a breeze went through the leaves I almost had a heart attack. And seriously, you do not know what I did when a frog jumped at me from an empty pot. Yikes!

Be that as it may, I finished the garden pit, along with the greenhouse, which was a friggin’ mess as well. Pots were all over the place, the floor littered with stones and messes that I didn’t bother to identify prior to dumping it in a garbage bag. It was wonderfully warm in there, by the way, and I was dripping sweat like a race horse. Phew.

After that I headed out into the yard and took my time trimming the cherry tomatoes. The poor plants have been looking miserable for quite some time now, and I feared that they were already dead. They weren’t, in fact I actually found all sorts of new branches hiding in the weeds. Even hung them back on the reed construction. Poor little darlings.

Gada, my Labrador, is really not feeling well. If it goes on like this I’m going to have to visit the vet with her, because she is really not enjoying herself at the moment. In fact, she appears to be in pain every now and then, and that I do not like at all.

During the last hour of daylight we (big brother and I) hauled compost to the raised seedbed, cleared out the old, and put in a completely new layer so we can start sowing there again. After two years of use, the old compost had almost turned to sand. Hah.

No edits yesterday. In fact, big brother and I finished writing the synopsis for ATOL, went over all the other required data, and send it to a publisher. Yay. Keep yer fingers crossed. It’s a good story, and though it might need some tuning from a professional, I think it would do well. We’ll have to see how it goes, eh?

I totally overslept this morning, which is not a smart thing to do, but was also unavoidable since I didn’t manage to get to bed until after three in the morning. Don’t you hate it when that happens? Things get out of hand, and before you know it, two hours have past.

But then we come to today.
This morning, what with tenant’s caregiver being at her other job again, I headed up early and helped tenant down to the basin terrace. She settled there comfortably again…we are trying to get as much from this summer (the past couple of days were a little warmer again, yay) so she’s coming along as often as she can.

Leaving her to chop the veggies for our afternoon meal, I set to continue cleaning. I cleared the main gutter over the terrace, the path covered with carob leaves and bamboo leaves, the stairs leading up to the courtyard, and the muck that lay on the floor of the garden pit. All in all over three wheelbarrows of the stuff, making me nicely overheated by the time I could start supper.

Supper worked out well, by the way. Baked potatoes with onion, garlic and garden herbs, and a vegetable mix on the side. Enjoyed it, and was pleasantly full afterwards.
Just finished eating, in fact, and since I still have more to do tonight, I better wrap this up and call it a blog.

No comments: