Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Friday, February 10, 2012

A little jumbled

Song of the day: “Rapper’s delight” by the Sugar Hill Gang. Such a cool little song. Didn’t know it until some months ago, and if you’d have told me years ago I would like it, I’d have laughed in your face, but there you have it.

I’m going to mess this up again, since the past couple of days were a mesh of events that don’t mean a whole lot to me at the moment. Not that it matters what I did today, or yesterday, it all comes down to the same thing, in a strange sort of way.

There were two gardening bits, yay. Watering of the plants, checking for bugs, harvesting. They had become the stuff of routine that are simply the best of the day, since this allows me to go down into the yard and spend some time in the sun. Sure my hands freeze from the icy basin water, and my feet will tend to do the same if I don’t make sure to find a sunny spot, but still. It is wonderfully relaxing to be down there. Added to that, yesterday’s harvest consisted of broccoli and cauliflower, making a nice mix for supper, thank you very much.

That panel of the Opel got spray painted properly at last, also varnished, which was the final step. With a little luck we’ll manage to put it back on the car tomorrow. But only if the wind isn’t blowing again, because then standing out there on the top of the mountain ridge, really isn’t fun.

We finished the 1st edit of V.L. last night. Yay!!! We did it. We got through it without killing each other. At this point I have to say I am pleasantly surprised that we didn’t end up going for each other’s throats. The thing is done, and now we’ll have to print the manuscript out and see what that first edit achieved. Was it bad? Will it need loads more work? Only one way to find out.

What else? Well, there was the cooking session. Yesterday Broccoli/cauliflower mix with baked ravioli on the side. It went down really well. Today (big brother cooked) a veggie mix (big part of our own harvests) with noodles and a spicy satay.

Since grandpa has been complaining about cold hands a lot, I finally decided to take pity on him, lined out his hands and started cutting. He’s been wanting those old-fashioned gloves, you know, the one with only a thumb and no fingers? Kids use them while skiing. But anyway, I cut them out, (four pairs, one set stuffed, the other fake leather) asked mom to drag them through her sewing machine and then started fitting the lot together. They worked like a charm too…only I think I’m going to have to replace the fake leather with real leather, one of these days. Grandpa’s happy at least.

Tenant’s been busy as heck. She’s been wanting to write to her daughters, but is having a hard time of it, really. I can imagine that it’s tough to do, but this is not something I can help her with, I think. Some things are private. I did spent a while taking photographs of her. She wants to add a nice one to her letter, so I shot several of them and will go through them tonight to see which ones worked out well. She’s difficult with that sort of thing, is sometimes ashamed of getting old, or something. Silly really, but understandable, I guess. It doesn’t help that a picture never does her justice.

Next, there was a workout session in the morning, which went well enough despite me being unable to find my shwung. And a couple of jogging sessions that worked out darn well for as far as I’m concerned. I did a full half mile stretch in one piece, thank you very much. I started out with sixty feet with a break, then slowly worked my way here. Not bad for sporadic training, eh? The foot didn’t even kill me last night.

Mom’s closet got installed in her working area in the morning, and it fit exactly there where she wanted it. Yay. She and the younger sibs put everything in the same afternoon and the thing is now filled properly with all sorts of fabrics. It looks good.

Also worked a little in the pantry, where for some unfathomable reason the big freezer had shifted off its perch, standing there crooked as heck. We cleared away the mess behind it, put it back in place and wiped the thing clean while we were at it, because boy was that dirty.

Took Chaos to the vet. The poor Basset appears to be feeling poorly of late and when I checked (against his wishes) I found his teeth to be rather dirty, and the gums too red. He was soooo scared at the vet’s trying to crawl into my lap (which he NEVER does) keeping his tail down (also something he rarely does) all the while. He had to be weighed, 88 pounds!!!, and then lifted onto the table so she could check him out. Nothing too serious, just a gum infection and a slight ear infection. She called him beautiful (Chaos perked up immediately and agreed fully) because most Basset’s his age have drooping skin. And he is. He’s the Gorgeous after all. Hah.
But anyway, he has an appointment for dental cleaning on Tuesday, and since he’ll be under for that anyway, the vet will clean his ears while she’s at it. I’ll have to start him on antibiotics on Sunday, which I hate because it has so many nasty after-effects. Ah well, he’ll have to overcome those.

Well, I made some extra shelving for my own room while I was at it. Books were starting to pile up on horizontal surfaces and since there’s hardly any room there due to clean laundry piles (I know. How lazy am I? I really should put it all away, darn it.) new shelving was getting to be essential. It looks nice and I got to put away all those loose books that I had been shoving here and there for the past six months or so. I love book shelves.

We’re starting on a new project. What with the tomatoes doing relatively well in the greenhouse, we’re going ahead with building the small greenhouse under the small pool. There will be some serious digging involved, a little masonry, but it shouldn’t take all that long, allowing us to start earlier with the big batches of tomatoes for spring and summer. Already hauled down several wheelbarrows with rocks for the knee high walls it’ll have.

As for freaky news…we had three screws in three separate tires of the Land Rover, which send the guy at the tire shop into a chortle. I know. It’s a little funny. I mean really, what are the chances of getting one in three tires? But there you have it. Luckily one screw was really short and didn’t cause a puncture. As for the other two, for twenty bucks he fixed them both while we waited. *sigh*

That about sums the last couple of days up. I’ve got stuff to do, a manuscript to print and then…well, I’m planning an early date with my bed. Hah.

No comments: