Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Forced leave

Song of the day: “I hope you dance” by Leann Womack. Love this song, so beautifully done.

I had another nightmare the other night. Though, I did of course not remember the details of it when I woke in the morning. I hate it when that happens. Dreams are tricky when you don’t remember them, and seriously, knowing I had one, and yet being unable to remember them, can wreck my day.

Since this morning I have officially been forbidden to lift heavy stuff, grrr…which, admittedly was a good thing, since I was incapable of even lifting the laundry basket. Hah. It’s not all that bad, really, just annoying. That nerve stuff is pain in the behind on the most part. I just need to take it a little easy, be careful, that sort of thing. Considering we finished the terrace yesterday, it is not a bad thing either.
The last few rocks were placed, the ground equalized and weeds yanked, creating a nice spot for two rows of potatoes and…well, something else. Hah.

Spent yesterday morning making dough for patties again, which worked out rather well as a breakfast substitute. Grandpa’s moped is playing up again, and big brother hasn’t gotten around to fixing it yet, so that meant no fresh bread for us. A pity too, considering we had pumpkin soup for supper, which tasted so fine I ate a really big batch.

But back to the terraces…Only two more trees to go. One apple, and one orange tree. For the apple I’ve already picked a spot, but I still haven’t figured out a good location for the orange. There had been a bit of a miserly rain in the morning, but nothing big, which is a pity, since the plants could sure use some more moisture before summer starts.

While grandpa, cousin Ed and I were working in this part of the yard, big brother (still bothered by his back thing) spent time in the greenhouse, sowing zucchinis, pumpkins, peppers and tomatoes. We’re getting some nice harvest of the tomato plants in the greenhouse, by the way. We have an average of eight tomatoes a day, which isn’t bad at all.

Finishing up down there, (grandpa started turning earth today) big brother joined us with a few more rocks and a handful of strawberry plants that he planted among the orange trees. We’re thinking of doing a few berry bushes there as well. Hmmm. We’ll see.

Labhana appears to be feeling a bit under the weather. Almost like she’s depressed. I’ve a suspicion that it has to do with the loss of more than half my pack in the past year, (Gawd knows I can relate). And ever since Amri went, she hasn’t improved much. It’s so sad. She used to be such a cheery Labrador, and yet now she will sit somewhere, staring ahead somewhat disconsolately. I’m going to have to engage her more in the near future.

We had to go out again, both today and yesterday, but yesterday we got home to mashed potatoes with kale. Which was yummy, as usual. It certainly revitalized us for the pending edit, and some relaxing chats online, following the usual hassle of messages and such.

Which brings us today this morning, which was spend in the kitchen making vanilla cream and rice pie. Gawd, did that work out well. Seriously, I ended up making two pies, and a small one without cream or milk, just to see if it would be possible. It is, so, Yay. Two more recipes for the book.

It took a long time, but since I was banned from heavy work anyway, I didn’t mind all that much. Did go down a bit to harvest tomatoes and broccoli, and also to water fields which were getting just too dry due to the persistent absence of rain. I don’t get where the water is going, because we’re constantly covered by clouds. By rights we should be getting rain constantly. *sigh*

We are starting to get decent amounts of veggies at the moment, by the way. Right now we’ve got a cue going of stuff we have to eat. Like tomorrow I’m planning for red beets with broccoli on the side. The next day we’ll be going for either a white, or a red cabbage with a nice white sauce with green herbs. What follows will probably be a batch of chickweed with cheese…but then, knowing how things go these days, I might be too positive into thinking that we’ll manage to adhere to that plan. Hah.

There were two “unload the car” sessions, of course, and seeing as mom and the sibs had their market day today, (didn’t go bad, despite the market being eerily quiet) they had an unloading session as well. Hah.

The plan had been for us to go get rocks today, but for obvious reasons that just wasn’t possible. *sigh*

Well, that’s it for me today. I still have an edit to do, of course, and with a little luck I’ll be in bed on time…considering summer time started last night, I might have some issues with that. Hah.

No comments: