Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Friday, July 20, 2012

Dogs and cars

Song of the day: …I actually can’t remember. There was something pounding in my head this morning when I woke up, but I had a really short night so I wasn’t all that clear when waking up. It’s been a friggin’ long day…and yesterday had similar long-ness issues.

First the bad news. Tridatu was in a real bad state yesterday morning. He’d been in pain most of the night, so after some debate (mom joining in) talking our options through, which included prednisone to see if it would perk him up a little, we decided not to postpone the decision. We took him to the vet, explained the problem, had him looked over once more, where the vet could only conclude that he was just old, and that in his mind most everything hurt, we had him put down. Carpy as usual, with me sniffling all over the place (darn it. I hate it when I do that) and then once it was over, getting myself back under control. Jeez, you’d think I’d toughen up a little after all this time, huh?

Well, what’s done is done, and now the official count is down to 63 dogs, I think. Gawd, sometimes I think it is going way too fast. I get a little panicky thinking of it, even. You just get used to all that “company” you know, and the losing bit is, well, painful. *sigh*

I needed some physical activity afterward, so I hauled dog food up the mountain from storage, doing a double pace, and almost passing out on the third run. Boy, eighty pounds is heavy when you need to go up.

That done, and my breath caught, I went down to the terrace and work on the book. Got a phone call in the middle of the session telling me that the problem with the car was the alternator, meaning that we either could order 160 bucks new one, or go to the Malaga junkyard to get a 2nd hand one for 40 bucks…no brainer there. It did mean we had to go out this morning, of course.

But I’m getting ahead of myself. I agreed with the garage I’d be by to pick up the broken alternator as an example, and to ask for instructions. It meant going out at five (so we’d be at the shop before closing time) and get the junkyard address. First there was the yard to water and food to prepare.

The garage done, (had a nice chat with the receptionist) we headed for the DIY store to meet with the Liane (the lady we did the fence for, and the trees) so she could pick out a pool which we’re probably going to install for her on Monday. That’s going to be interesting, what with the temps in the high 90s. Took a bit of hassle to get the pool parts into the car (the box wasn’t at all sturdy) but we managed, and killed time in town to pick up little brother at the driver license school. He had a carpy lesson, by the way. He said that either the teacher was in a bad mood, or he was not doing so well himself. Soooo worried. Can understand it, but it is worth the trouble in the end, right?

Okay, got home late, and writing was a lost cause by then. Watched John Carter instead…and ended up disappointed. Lots of movies turn out to be disappointing of late. I don’t understand why. Maybe it’s me. Maybe I just can’t enjoy it as much as I used to.

Didn’t get to bed until late, so I really didn’t have enough sleep since I needed to get up at eight to go to the city. There were several things to do, and we were going to need every hour.
First there were the normal morning stuff such as laundry and the feeding the dogs, then it was up to the car (needed to gas up) stealing some breakfast from grandpa, saying hello to tenant and then heading out to the city. Had to go back before reaching the main road, by the way, seeing as we forgot the old alternator that we needed as an example. I had several dumb blond moments along the way, ending up driving the long way round, rather than the direct route. Seriously, I don’t know where my head was at.

But anyway, we arrived at the junkyard around eleven. Strange place, not to mention vastly disappointing. Here I’d had some Hollywood movie image, only to come to a place that seemed more like a supermarket than a junkyard. We arrived (I was in pink and white with two pigtails, for crying out loud) and there were several nice ol’ fellows letting us pass ahead of them…whoever said chivalry is dead?

But anyway, we explained the problem, the guy nodded, sent us to the back (the place was huge. Some sort of hangar filled with two stories of shelvings filled to the limit with greasy parts) where we handed over the old alternator, got a new one after paying at the cash register, and we were done. We were in and out within less than ten minutes. Weird, I tell ya.

Next we had to go into the city so mom (she went along) could go to the sewing machine store and get a new part for her sewing machine. That went relatively easy, leaving enough time for us to got to the traffic building to we could request mom’s new drivers license for the third time (it still hasn’t arrived). Here we had to wait in line for a solid hour, but this time, maybe, just maybe we’ll be able to pick it up right there, rather than leave it up to the fates whether or not it will arrive in the mail.

That done, we went on our way to town, where we dropped the alternator off at the garage (maybe the car will be done tomorrow, we’ll see) and then headed on home. First thing I did was fall in the pool for a bit, which was necessary by then. Then we unloaded the few groceries we picked up along the way, followed by two more pages of the book, before cooking supper and heading down into the yard for watering and harvesting. Needed dog food again, which cousin Ed cut.

And that brings us to now, where I’m almost too tired to keep my eyes open. Hah.
Heading out.

No comments: