Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Storm

Song of the day: “Grease Lightning” by John Travolta of course. In regard to today’s activities, I am not at all surprised by the song. But I’ll get to that later. First, let’s get to yesterday and get that over with.

Nothing big going on. In fact yesterday’s weather was so abysmal that very little got done, except damage control. We had thunder, we had rain and we had winds. All was coming down around our ears and the ground trembled, ended up being without electricity for most of the night…which made things interesting for mom and little brother who had to go out after midnight to bring a friend to the airport. Again the same woman, whose dogs we’re boarding for the next week or so. There was so much hail that mom slip-slided down the mountain. Thankfully there was no oncoming traffic, allowing them to come home safely.
This means that my mornings once more involve walking three dogs. They appear to remember us, so it is not a chore or anything. In fact, a couple of them are pretty affectionate.

During the hailstorm we had forgotten that we’d put the young lettuces outside for hardening, meaning we lost several to the hard pellets coming down by the bucket. (Darn it) As for the cabbages in the yard, they don’t give a fig, really. Sure some of the smaller ones suffered, but other than that, most of them are flourishing. I am pleased to announce that the basin is once again fully filled, meaning that all our efforts last year once more paid off. Sure, we’ll need some more rain, once or twice, this spring, but then we should be able to manage just fine ‘till the end of summer…I hope. Hah.

My dogs spent most of yesterday inside my cabin…their choice, rather than mine if you must know. Seriously, they really dislike the cold, and were more than happy to reside in the relative warmth of the cabin, rather than follow me around the property…well, most of them anyway, Sitabah and Dax were not at all appreciative and ended up screeching like a bunch of pigs. Grrr.

With damage control belonged taking water from the garden pit. We still haven’t gotten around to putting in that drain, so we had to do it the old fashioned way again. Since we had to keep an eye on that anyway, we got rid of a big bunch of garbage, debris and whatnot, which of course had to be hauled up to the car later in the day. *sigh* We checked out the recent fill that we applied in front of the house/courtyard and that is one of the few things for which the rain is really good. Who knows, if it keeps pounding a lot this spring, we might even be able to put the floor in before next winter. Yay.

Checking the greenhouse and raised seedbed was done at our leisure, what with the weather not permitting much else anyway. Seriously, I spent a wonderful hour in the greenhouse hunting bugs. Hah. Afterward we headed on down, during the lull in the rain, checking those cabbages and such as I already mentioned. (Sorry)

I worked some in the carport (there was the stove was on for the pack so that they’d get dry a little) painting mom’s new table lamp, and adding a layer of varnish, which makes it look gorgeous! There were some other chores, very boring all, I assure, after which we piled half the garbage we gathered during the day

First there was a trip to the local land fill, and then we headed out (Knight II in the backseat) into the wild so we could take him for a relaxing walk. Despite the miserly rain, he enjoyed it, I think. Thereafter we had to go to the village to return a faulty purchase, which went well, thankfully. I would have hated to lose 40 bucks because I was stupid enough not to check the brand.

We didn’t get home until dusk, and then we were late to get on the way for our appointment with a small charity donation, which we had to pick up in town. No supper for us. *sigh* Luckily we got to that once we got home and relaxed a little at the computers before calling it a night. Of course I got distracted on Wikipedia. I ended up reading about Charlie Chaplin, and several links connected to it, and thus didn’t get to bed until after two in the morning. Aaaargh.

As for today…I was on time, despite the late hour of the previous evening. After the usual chores in the house, and letting the boarder dogs out for a run, big brother and I departed to get rid of another big load of garbage. I am sometimes amazed as to how much one gathers over the years. The place is starting to shape up, though, and that is all that matters.

We made a slight detour road-trip, did some exploring in the woods where there was a ruin of some sort of old factory, or processing station. Climbed a mountain, wandered some paths and then headed back home to get started on the activities of the day.

Finally, what with the sun shining and the wind being absent for a change, we got to work on that old car wreck again, cutting, sawing, slicing and whatnot. Boy, it is not at all easy getting an old heap of rusty metal out of the way. I’ve got my hands filled with cuts and bruises, there is grease all over the place (ergo the song of the day, duh) and, well, we’ve got a seventh of the wreck out of the way now. Yay.

There was another little trip into the yard, checking up on stuff, there were the chats with tenant, who really enjoyed the sunshine again, the chasing the dogs when they misbehaved, and of course cooking. There were leftovers from yesterday, and I made a sort of pasta primavera to fill in the gaps. I like d it, but then, after a long day I am not all that picky. Hah.

Since yesterday was too busy for edits, I’m going to see if I can keep my eyes open long enough to do one tonight. I’m not going to hold my breath. Hah.

No comments: