Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

And back to work. Yay.

Song of the day: “Always look on the bright side of life” by the dudes from Monty Python, I know it’s terrible of me, but I just can’t recall his name. Hah. I do know that it was from the movie “The life of Brian.”

Well, let’s see if I can do a better Blog today, after yesterday’s debacle. I was just so darn tired yesterday; I could barely keep a single thought in my head. It took a tad too long, and the amounts…well; let’s just say I made it a really early night.

Let’s see, I woke on the dot this morning, my head filled with a jumble of dreams I didn’t even begin to unravel, because, let’s face it, it was just daily life stuff and not even remotely interesting. It sure wasn’t for me, so to write them down would be completely superfluous.

This makes today’s subject similarly bland, so I’ll endeavor to make it remotely interesting…how on earth I’m going to manage it, is a mystery, however.

Let’s just start and see where it heads: the dogs are a mite restless when I get up this morning and go through the morning rituals. While opening the curtains a bloody wasp stabs me in my middle finger and within a few minutes the digit starts to swell a little. After spraying vinegar over the area, I make ready to go to the house. The temperatures are gradually dropping, almost as if September has already started, and when I head down the mountain there are thin layers of clouds over the sun. Such a strange summer really, only six or eight really hot days in total.

But be that as it may, I go to the house, take some homeopathic pearls of Apis Meliphica to fight the swelling, go through the morning chores, the laundry and such and then settle down for the proofreading. This is followed by putting in the few changes we found the day before yesterday and some fussing over a particular sentence that just doesn’t come out right until we throw it around completely.

We get a couple of chapters done before it is time to head outside into the cool afternoon air, for about half an hour we stand on the new terrace chatting, and overlooking the work that has been done. Today looks like a day of reflection, if this particular moment is an indication.

Soon we are headed down to the guest quarters, where some tasks still need to be done. The floor gets cleaned again, lights hung, book shelves attached and then the final touches that’ll make it comfortable. Once middle sister and I have scrubbed the bathroom and the hallway, the door gets closed against the dogs and together we clear the dirt away from the path that leads to it.

By then twilight is arriving and after hauling up any leftovers that were still by the guest quarters, I spend a few moments hauling rocks away from the path (they were still there from the wall) and then passing the wood that still needs to be carried up to the old stable to the middle part of the garden. Next, I head on up the mountain to where big brother and grandpa are working on the new fence (apparently it was too low for Tadaika and Prama, who have been scaling it constantly since it went up).

While making my way up in the last rays of sunlight (literally), I am once again struck by how much the yard has changed. There is an intricate pattern of walls and steps, new terraces, gleaming lanterns and the yellowish reed roof of the courtyard. Sort of idyllic, actually, and downright beautiful as I stand there overlooking it all from an angle where I haven’t seen it for the last few weeks.

While we’re standing there, we are discussing future project, pouring concrete on the path that leads to the courtyard, the three stairs that still need to be made, the wall for the veranda, and then, sometime next year, maybe a portico, or pergola on top of the ridge that overlooks the entire garden. Ah yes, it is always wonderful to have more to do, hah.

Big brother and I head on out to the landfill for the large amounts we’ve accumulated with the construction, remodeling, etc. etc. We actually find several nice beams of wood…apparently someone took down some trees in a yard…so on the way back we were pretty loaded up again.

The rest of the evening was pretty standard, so I’m going to leave it at this and head on up to my cabin for another proofreading session, I think. I’m rather looking forward to it, actually.

No comments: