Notice:

I can't predict when I have the time to post a new blog, but check occasionally. I'm going to try at least weekly.

Friday, August 28, 2009

Variety is the spice of life.

Song of the day: “Yes sir I can boogie” by Sophie Ellis-Bextor. Had it before, but it sure does boogie, hah.

So it was a busy day, lots of different little things that amounted to lots of variety all ‘round.
Still no fun dream to write about, I fear, so we’re just going to go to the day and see where it leads.

Once at the house, two big batches of laundry, hung and folded, breakfast over and done with, the dogs calmed down at last and we settle down for more proofreading and editing. There were some technical errors we picked up on…don’t ask me how they got through after three serious edits, but somehow they did…during the proofreading, and we went over them, correcting them throughout the manuscript. It’s a nuisance, but the end result should be well worth it, I’m thinking.

I do think, that through this entire proofread business, we are able to see that the work done is has vastly improved. There are scenes just perfect and those get me a little high when I’m reading through them. Hah.

We’re actually a little disappointed when the computer work comes to an end and it’s time to head outside. There are a variety of little jobs that need to be done today; wood has to be carried up to the main gate, the fence in my little backyard needs to be reset, the fence on the new wall still needs to be attached to the top, reed needs to be bundled and set away. A small pant container of rocks has to be built by the side of my cabin and the last two Eucalypti still need to be planted. We all split up to get to it.

Middle sister and I head up the mountain for the eucalypti, while big brother and grandpa get started on the fence on the wall. The two youngest sibs work on the reed and later on move on to hauling up the spare wood up to the old stable.
This part of the mountain (where the trees need to go in with big friggin clumps of dirt around their roots) is a little bit more difficult than yesterday to dig into. The ground is harder here, rockier too, and yet we manage between the two of us to chop out two reasonable holes. After filling them with water we set the trees and then gather out tools to head down to get to the next task.

Since the rest is still busy with different stuff, and little brother has already made cement for the planter later on, we go through my cabin and start loosing the old fence so we can take away the debris that has been rolling down from the mountain for the past three years or so. It takes three full wheelbarrows (they have to be rolled through my cabin and down the mountain for dumping, naturally) to clear it, but then we can start setting the fence all over again.

Big brother and grandpa come to help with this part, cause long metal bars need to be hammered deep into the rock bottom. By some miracle it actually works, (I feared we would have to pour concrete, or something) and once the pole are in, middle sister and I fasten the thick, hard wired fence to them.

Dusk is arriving by then, and the plant container still needs to be built so the last plant (Dama de noche, aka night blooming jasmine) can be put in the ground. It takes remixing the cement, which became too hard while we were busy with the other stuff.

It is dark before the large bowl is finished, but with the last wheelbarrow from my little yard as filler, we set the plant and finish up by cleaning the terrace from debris and sand, and then sit in the cool evening air chatting about “Saving Nina” for a bit. A wonderful evening for sure, a sickle moon, bright stars, a grand view over the valley…ah, makes you want to sit outside all evening.

Of course we can’t: there’s still the Blog to do, dinner to eat and the usual evening chores before it is time to head up to my cabin for the final proofreading session of the day. Yep, I might be tired, but I am looking forward to reading some more.

No comments: